Yamaha RXK 135

pUNKrOCKEr

Punks Not Dead
I didnt take a before picture of my bike when i first got my bike.
But i'll post of a pic of someone else's bike to show u guys what my bike looked like before.

After i bought the bike, i immediately sprayed it white.
cos i couldnt stand the previous color, and white was the only color i had left.

this is it after it was painted white.
bike.jpg

Weeks passed and i spent my time going thru scrapyards, and looking thru other people's trash, and i found some stuff i could work with.

I got a huge roll of leather from old sofas.
i didnt spend anything cause these were sofas that people in my neighbourhood planned to throw away.

DSC01517.jpg

I was actually planning to rewrap my seat using all this leather, but since i had so much......
some glue
DSC01471.jpg

cut the leather
DSC01470.jpg

paste it onto the tank or etc
DSC01465.jpg

hold it in place
DSC01469.jpg

almost there....
DSC01472.jpg

and there u have it:
DSC01474.jpg

i still have to do some touching up though...
I also leather-ed up my front fenders and the side covers.
i've also done some work on my seat.

more pics to come...
hold on.

I actually like the idea of a leather tank. How it holds up to fuel... But cool idea to stand out.

Jay

I like it. All she needs now is some dropped bars, expansion chambers and a new seat. I too love the leather tank.

Well done.

--Chris

It was all glued. no sewing.
I'm doing all the bike work using simple tools, and i dont have a sewing machine or anything to sew together a tank piece..
plus, it kinda gave me a headache trying to figure out the measurements to make it fit tightly and all, so i felt that glueing it together would be soo much simpler.

How's it holding up? Quite good actually. I've had a couple of times when i had some fuel spilled on the side of my tank. Seems to be holding.
It's not peeling or anything. I will still put some silicone or something around the edges to keep fuel from seeping thru though.
later.

I'm getting clip ons for the bike on Saturday.
And I'm almost done with my seat.

Be back with more pictures tomorrow.

Here's what the bike originally looked like, roughly.... the only thing missing is a huge box at the rear.

2652685484_a0a45655c0.jpg

heres more pics.

i swapped the 17" sport rims for larger 18" chrome ones... and i changed to bigger tires too, wider....

DSC01527.jpg
DSC01528.jpg

i cut my front fender and wrapped it with leather too.

DSC01525.jpg

Here's what the bike looks like at the moment...

i polished all the metal parts to make them shine like new again...
its a crappy picture, but its all i got.
:)

DSC01524.jpg

This is the part of the project that took up the most time.

I found a piece of sheet metal and cut it to shape, to make a new seat for my bike.
It's not the best piece of workmanship, but all i had to work with was a junior hacksaw and a drill.

DSC01503.jpg

the seat pan will be mounted using two hooks in the front that slide into slots on the bike , and two bolts that go thru the back of the bike..
so heres the hooks..
DSC01506.jpg

now i wanted to make it a solo seat, but its illegal here to do so if ur bike isnt already a solo-seater..
so...
to work round the legal issues, i decided to make a solo seat that was convertible to a two seater..

i added sliders, the kind you use for drawers..
DSC01504.jpg

and so this is how it looks like extended..
DSC01505.jpg

the seat pan i made it out from my desktop CPU cover.. it was the right shape and dimensions, so all i had to do was wrap it with leather first.
FYI i had no use for the computer anymore, i have a laptop now.

DSC01514.jpg

DSC01515.jpg

DSC01516.jpg

now the hump didnt really fit the sliders, so i had to extend them somehow.
and i needed the extra space for where my seats gonna be..

so i got some metal brackets and cut them and wrapped them..
DSC01509.jpg
DSC01513.jpg

i will come back tomorrow or something with more pics of the seat assembled...

till then, im searching for cushions for my seat, and enough leather to wrap it...

on saturday i'll get new clip ons for the bike.
:)

Nice! Put some electrics in there so you can just push a button and it opens up ;)

Tim said:
Nice! Put some electrics in there so you can just push a button and it opens up ;)

oh i'd love that.. but.....
#1 i suck with electrics
#2 i havent the slightest idea how to even make that possible

im guessing that would cost me some...
i dont have money.. at all... haha..

oh btw, i spent a total of $70 so far doing this project...

2 cans of heavy duty glue - $9
Some screws & washers - $4
Sliders - $7

i got my rims + tires, rear shocks, swing arm, sprockets and a whole lot of other junk from a guy who sold everything to me for $50...

trying to save as much as possible here...

I like the leather! Especially with the tank badges back on, looks very clean. The seat's going to be sweet as well! I love the shape of the bump.
This is a very original build.

Deviant1 said:
I like the leather! Especially with the tank badges back on, looks very clean. The seat's going to be sweet as well! I love the shape of the bump.
This is a very original build.

Thank you oh so much... haha...

This is one hell of a unique project! I'm glad to see somehting that isn't a 350/360 Honda ;D

Nice work making it your own on a budget too, it's looking much better. Can't wait to see how the seat turns out!

The leather is funky.

I didn't want the hassle of painting my KZ so I bot the loudest most in your face fabric I could find and spray glued to all my bodywork. 3M Super 77 worked awesome.

The glue held up great but the fabric faded noticeably. I'm not sure if it gets another season or I'll switch it. FabricLand has a ton of camo patterns.....

sorry for the delay... im about done with my bike...
got the seats on...
bought my clip-ons...

all i have to do now is get some electrics going cos i dont have signals or a working rear light...

will get busy posting pics soon..
havent been able to find the time to do it..
its been raining non stop the past few weeks...
plus i wasted about 3 days getting drunk at the Hard Rock Cafe's Reggae Nite' the last weekend...
:D

will get pics up soon i promise..
:D

whats up punkrocker..
the build looks good. i really like the leather, looks awesome. nice work.
need to post some good solid pics of it.
looks like a fun little bike. 135cc i've never seen one before oes it sound good.
are you running straight pipes..
any way can't wait to see some up dated pics..
later.

Back
Top Bottom