www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Pamco Electronic Ignition for CB360 (rotor interference issue)  (Read 1687 times)

Offline MHDesign

I'm setting up a Pamco electronic ignition for a cb360 and have run into an issue that I just can't seem to account for (with no luck searching DTT / elsewhere):

According to The instructions, the included rotor should be a direct-swap using the original hardware (just a bolt w/ washer into the threaded shaft).

With the "plate" (which replaces the points /w 2 circuit boards) seated properly, I have interference between the rotor and the screws that run through the circuit boards into the plate; the screws rub on the rotor.

The rotor is "keyed" to the shaft, so there's no room for a missing washer.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

...I did confirm that I ordered the correct (for a 360) Pamco ignition, but wonder if I was sent a rotor meant for a different application(?)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Duchat

Re: Pamco Electronic Ignition for CB360 (rotor interference issue)
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2017, 23:16:41 »
I didn't have that interference with mine, but personally I would grind down those screws just a smidge. Better the screws than the balanced rotor.

Sent from my SM-T580 using DO THE TON mobile app

Offline Turnturtle

« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2017, 16:19:18 »
It is possible that the thrust washer to adjust side clearance on the camshaft was installed on the left (points side) of the engine.
this would move the end of the camshaft closer to the pick-up plate at least 1mm. You would have to pull off the rocker box to check.

Offline MHDesign

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2017, 22:58:06 »
I didn't have that interference with mine, but personally I would grind down those screws just a smidge. Better the screws than the balanced rotor.

Sent from my SM-T580 using DO THE TON mobile app

I'm hesitant to start shaving the screw heads because the difference in clearance isn't minor and I assume the gap is relatively important.

Any idea what the gap between the rotor and screw-heads (which serve as a contact) should be?

MORE IMPORTANTLY-

Does anyone know who actually makes PAMCO ignitions? They don't have a website / customer service / a tech-line. Google only yields results of sellers, and the company I bought the kit from does not cover any tech questions...

Thanks again for any input!

-Mike

Offline MHDesign

« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2017, 23:14:05 »
It is possible that the thrust washer to adjust side clearance on the camshaft was installed on the left (points side) of the engine.
this would move the end of the camshaft closer to the pick-up plate at least 1mm. You would have to pull off the rocker box to check.

I just posted a few minutes ago before seeing your response @turnturtle...

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I'll refer back to the factory manual to be sure I understand before doing anything else.

The question remains (for anyone) though, who actually makes these PAMCO units? Do they have a tech line or point of contact?

Thanks again

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 10, 2017, 23:23:58 »
Pamco Pete makes the ignitions.  It's just one dude.  He's never been really good at communication.  Even in the beginning, weeks could go by before you got a response.  I'd refer to the vendor you bought it from.  You'll get where you need to go much quicker.

Offline MHDesign

« Reply #6 on: Jul 11, 2017, 00:19:36 »
I just posted a few minutes ago before seeing your response @turnturtle...

I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I'll refer back to the factory manual to be sure I understand before doing anything else.

The question remains (for anyone) though, who actually makes these PAMCO units? Do they have a tech line or point of contact?

Thanks again

Absolutely right @turnturtle.

This was a mistake on my part when completing the top end rebuild. I was so sure I hadn't missed anything...

Offline MHDesign

« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2017, 00:30:27 »
Pamco Pete makes the ignitions.  It's just one dude.  He's never been really good at communication.  Even in the beginning, weeks could go by before you got a response.  I'd refer to the vendor you bought it from.  You'll get where you need to go much quicker.

I saw his name come up a number of times, but (naively) figured he was just "some guy" that knows these ignitions and didn't want to bother some dude I don't know (assumed it was a bigger operation).

Thanks for the info - I should be all set, but will complete the job and report back with photos / results for the future reference of others...

Offline Supergyro

« Reply #8 on: Jul 11, 2017, 00:35:32 »
Great catch on the thrust washer! Going to be installing mine in a bit here so I'll be tracking your progress.

Offline MHDesign

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12, 2017, 00:01:32 »
Great catch on the thrust washer! Going to be installing mine in a bit here so I'll be tracking your progress.

Great catch indeed! I could have been chasing my tail on that for a while (or worse)...Thrust washer is now (correctly) installed.

I'll continue to update as I set the static timing/reassemble the rocker assembly/go through the process of setting up the ignition.