www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: "the Mooch"  (Read 40791 times)

Re: "the Mooch"
« Reply #970 on: Nov 28, 2018, 18:40:02 »
GM is in no way failing.  These were one-shift plants, which are unsustainable for any automaker.  They're plants that produce cars out of favor with most Americans, ie. sedans, and it allows GM to restructure half their division in order to move towards electric.  This is similar to Ford moving mostly to their trucks.  It's a plan that's a long time in the making.

Although it's cancelling the Volt. Maybe they'll come up with something better that will sell.
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #971 on: Nov 29, 2018, 01:06:57 »
GM is in no way failing.  These were one-shift plants, which are unsustainable for any automaker.  They're plants that produce cars out of favor with most Americans, ie. sedans, and it allows GM to restructure half their division in order to move towards electric.  This is similar to Ford moving mostly to their trucks.  It's a plan that's a long time in the making.

GM has issues, as do all US Auto manufacturers in one way or another.  After the bailout, which saved GM and thousands of workers, they had quite an extensive reorganization and now have a narrow focus on adding shareholder value.  To that end they have bought back around $10bn of shares and that has probably helped the share value to remain static while Ford shares have dropped a long way in the same time.

The GM approach now is to say screw having the greatest volumes hoping that would create more sales and more profits and now focus only on profit. They sold off European operations that were not making a positive contribution and now are down sizing ahead of losing money. That's smart business if the only stakeholders are shareholders, but tends to screw workers. They do have to make a profit if they want to stay in business but profits for shareholders ahead of all else is a symptom of capitalism's bad side.

Seems to me that GM deserves all the good and bad press it will get, but the real villain is cadet bone spurs who made outrageous promises that he has no ability to deliver on.  His tariffs increase raw material costs and his huge tax cut for companies encourages outsourcing overseas. In other words, his policies made things worse and that effect will hit harder in 2019.  And trickle down economics doesn't exist as a real world effect.  All that did was to give working stiffs a few extra bucks that are more than eaten up by inflation and tariffs are big part of that.

« Reply #972 on: Nov 29, 2018, 10:16:46 »
the real villain is cadet bone spurs who made outrageous promises that he has no ability to deliver on. 

Wait, are you somehow implying that the president doesn't have a deep understanding of international trade relations and macroeconomics?
"Remember when Goldwings were sexy? Me neither" -- Comet Tavern bathroom, Seattle.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #973 on: Nov 30, 2018, 20:05:36 »

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #974 on: Dec 01, 2018, 02:00:52 »
says it all - especially with the oblivious OrangeOaf in the background.
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

Online J-Rod10

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Slipstream Cycle Works
« Reply #975 on: Dec 01, 2018, 12:23:52 »
Canada, Mexico, and the US leaders have all signed on for the new NAFTA deal. We'll see if the Dems do the right thing and ratify it next year.

Read a story yesterday, Ford is retooling its US factories for more SUV production, rather than shutting down the plants like GM is. Good on them.
« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2018, 15:20:19 by J-Rod10 »

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #976 on: Dec 03, 2018, 15:06:39 »
Canada, Mexico, and the US leaders have all signed on for the new NAFTA deal. We'll see if the Dems do the right thing and ratify it next year.

Read a story yesterday, Ford is retooling its US factories for more SUV production, rather than shutting down the plants like GM is. Good on them.

Ford is also considering monetizing customer private data.  That is not cool.
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 73 Norton Commando, my 93" shovelhead chop, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline stroker crazy

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • crazy as a fox
« Reply #977 on: Dec 05, 2018, 01:42:06 »
An early present for the OrangeOne!

The fun is in the addendum ...
“Ride like the Wind” W.H.

« Reply #978 on: Dec 06, 2018, 09:10:11 »
For those who thought Trump was at least accomplishing something with N Korea:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/06/world/asia/north-korea-missile-bases.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

Presumably Kim Jong Un knows that we know (or knows that we can know), and just doesn't give AF. Trump continues to emphasize his great relationship with the dictator.

Dunning-Kruger Effect, anyone?

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #979 on: Dec 06, 2018, 10:17:23 »
I saw that yesterday and and I actually thought of you... hahaha.

Yeah, he's an idiot. Yeah, he doesn't know what he's talking about. Yeah, he will tell you otherwise.
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2018, 11:10:16 by Sav0r »
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram