www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Project CB350F cafe brat  (Read 7348 times)

Offline stubsryan

Project CB350F cafe brat
« on: Jul 29, 2017, 02:24:47 »

Hi all. Picked up a 1972 CB350F on gumtree in adelaide, Australia. Everything was disassembled, bar the engine bottom end when I picked it up a couple months back. There are a bunch of missing parts like rear brake assembly, fuel tank, air box, side covers, battery mount and probably a heap of other crap. Because of all the missing bits I'm turning the old girl into a cafe brat. This is my first bike project which should be fun and educational along the way. That being said, I'm a duel trade refrigeration service technician and electrician so I am familiar with tools and the importance of accuracy with moving parts ie the engine etc. I have all the Cb350f manuals on the iPad so with some time, $$ and perseverance I might end up with a cool little bike to get around on. I kind of figure that if I document the build and even 1 person looks at it, it might give me a bit more drive to get it done. Cheers legends

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline stubsryan

Re: Project CB350F cafe brat
« Reply #1 on: Jul 29, 2017, 02:34:30 »
Here are some photos of all the bits I have and the shed with all the spares

Offline stubsryan

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2017, 02:36:12 »
Oh and that's a cb360 in the shed. That's another nightmare to deal with

Offline stubsryan

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2017, 03:17:22 »
So I have decided to do some work on the forks. The Cb350f forks are rusty but not so much where the seal would be touching under compression. Alternatively I could use some cb360 forks. Not sure which way to go with it

Offline stubsryan

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2017, 06:18:01 »
Just took of the alternator and found a bit of rust. Will ohm test the windings to see if it's ok and clean what I can and cover in some spray oil
If at any point anyone what's to tell me I'm doing it wrong then by all means let me know.

Offline stubsryan

« Reply #5 on: Jul 31, 2017, 06:30:45 »

So the engine top end was disassembled when I picked it up. It also came with gaskets. I was thinking of getting new rings and putting it back together with honing etc but money is a concern. It's $100 for a set of rings. The history from the PO is that he wanted to rebuild it all and get it back to original but he got too old and worked out that it would never happen and decided to sell. Now I'm thinking I just put it back together and check the compression and if it's ok just continue on with the project. Worst case I remove change the rings etc. hope I'm doing the right thing 🤷‍♂️

Offline stubsryan

« Reply #6 on: Jul 31, 2017, 08:00:37 »
Dropped a piston pin clip in the bottom end! Don't build engines and drink! guess I continue and drop the bottom out later 🤷‍♂️

Offline stubsryan

« Reply #7 on: Jul 31, 2017, 08:20:40 »
Engine build on hold. Found I'm missing two top rings. Don't know how I missed this. Looks like I'm ordering a new set! It's probably for the better anyway

Offline stubsryan

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31, 2017, 11:28:35 »
Ok if anyone is out there, I need new rings and they are $100 odd. For $150 I can get overbore cylinders and rings. Obviously would need matching which from a quick google is $65 a cylinder. Seems a lot to me. Should I get rings or go the ton and make a bigger engine? $400 vs $100

Offline Antennaman346

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2017, 17:55:43 »
Hey, I bought that same seat. Can I ask how you plan on fitting it up to the tank? I think I'm going to cut into the white plastic base so that the tank mount doesn't prevent it from snugging up. No matter how you place it, it's got that wicked gap. Your thoughts?