www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550  (Read 5952 times)

Offline doctorcat

Re: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550
« Reply #30 on: Nov 04, 2018, 14:39:40 »
Well, the DGR 2018 came and went. The bike ran great, but it's time to take it apart again and do some powdercoating, detab the frame, and maybe swap to a rounded tank from the KZ550 LTD? it's been a fun year, but winter is when the real fun happens and the bike will be undergoing even more change and some bearings will be refreshed!

and finally in this pic everyone tells me I look like Adrien Brody. heh.

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2019, 11:17:35 »
alright! It's been a long winter/year. I haven't been in the shop as doclife has taken over a lot and I've also been trying to get back in physical shape. I gained WAY too much weight last year and none of my clothes fit! I'm back down to fighting weight, so time to dig into this thing again!

SO... I ripped the engine out. The frame needed to be de-tabbed (all the fairing tabs I'm not using) and the tail light needs a recessed housing. I got it done!
Now the big barrier is that the engine was at one point spray painted with a thin layer of flat black paint. It looks really bad up close. I want that layer off. I wouldn't mind repainting it gloss black (way easier to keep clean) or just keeping it silver. I've polished the stator points and sprocket covers for contrast and gotten the fins polished from where the casting was really rough. ANYWAY here's pics:

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #32 on: Sep 21, 2019, 07:41:48 »
well, i've been hard at work. I sold my VTR1000F and have been dumping all my time into wrenching. Carbs still having leaks but now from cyl 3 and only when it gets hot (goes through overflow) and that may explain why cyl 3 and 4 are running a little richer (dumping into 3 and overflow some into 4) find out the float needle seat there is old and needs replacing too, so I go for it. hopefully we're set now.

I stripped the tank recently. here are some noteworthy pictures

finished internally running the ignition wiring. that was fun.

Got the Motad exhaust installed. Traded a young dude my MAC because the Motad was too quiet for him.

you can see the mockup of a potential paint scheme here with my bike in front of Rich the owner of Interstellar's CB750 he just sold.

comparing the original tank to the new one

easier to notice here how the link of the whole bike cleans up a lot with the more vintage tank

a little bit of my inspiration

stripped the tank and got off all the old rusty and dirty paint. tank is surprisingly in good shape. a few small dings but completely superficial and no rust. into the actual metal. even behind the emblems was clean.