www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Ton up SR250 - a cafe racer by the numbers: 100mph, 100kg, 30hp  (Read 37297 times)

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
Re: Ton up SR250 - a cafe racer by the numbers: 100mph, 100kg, 30hp
« Reply #250 on: Mar 17, 2019, 09:18:28 »
The real reason is that you want the lever pulling the brake drum at the swing arm pivot.  If your pedal is not that at the swing arm pivot then all that makes sense.  Not sure why that didn't occur to me when I asked the question.

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #252 on: Mar 18, 2019, 04:21:28 »
On another note, I got my Antigravity small case 4 cell battery over the weekend.  This will fit nicely under the seat  8)

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #253 on: Mar 18, 2019, 09:49:21 »
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-4s1p-14-8v-20c-hardcase-pack-1.html

Thatís the battery I use in my RD.

Iíve also used a pack half that size.

With the large pack, if it starts within in a minute of kicking itís good to go. I wish I had gone for a modern charging system though. Getting rid of that excited coil system would have saved me another couple of pounds.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2019, 09:57:32 by Sav0r »
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram

Offline killerx

« Reply #254 on: Mar 18, 2019, 16:13:19 »
if you use a cable to actuate the rear brake, the cable becomes the "disconnect" between the pedal and the swingarm motion.
just like the hose on a hydraulis set-up.
05 Victory Hammer(110hp 115tq @ the wheel)

73 Honda Cl350(Haven't decided what to do with it) SOLD

75 Suzuki GT380

Too much of everything is just enough.

Offline wozza

« Reply #255 on: Mar 18, 2019, 21:33:42 »
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-4s1p-14-8v-20c-hardcase-pack-1.html

Thatís the battery I use in my RD.

Iíve also used a pack half that size.

With the large pack, if it starts within in a minute of kicking itís good to go. I wish I had gone for a modern charging system though. Getting rid of that excited coil system would have saved me another couple of pounds.
That battery isnt suited to bike use unless you have a balance charger setup...the antigravity one has basic electronics to prevent over/under charging and keeps the packs balanced....Only issue Ive found with the gravity batts is, if there is a tiny drain the protection circuit wont cut the power before a cell drops to low killing the battery..so if sitting for a long time disco the battery.I use a Anderson 50A connector https://www.jaycar.com.au/anderson-50a-power-connector-6-gauge-contacts/p/PT4420  to quick disconnect the power should I park it for a while or for emergency disco if it all go's bad :)

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
« Reply #256 on: Mar 19, 2019, 04:19:02 »
Thanks for the tip wozza, that has actually happened to me (an antigravity go too low and die).  So I will do that for sure.

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #257 on: Mar 19, 2019, 13:27:25 »
That battery isnt suited to bike use unless you have a balance charger setup...the antigravity one has basic electronics to prevent over/under charging and keeps the packs balanced....Only issue Ive found with the gravity batts is, if there is a tiny drain the protection circuit wont cut the power before a cell drops to low killing the battery..so if sitting for a long time disco the battery.I use a Anderson 50A connector https://www.jaycar.com.au/anderson-50a-power-connector-6-gauge-contacts/p/PT4420  to quick disconnect the power should I park it for a while or for emergency disco if it all go's bad :)

If I had a nickel for every time somebody lectured me on batteries Iíd have some serious change.

I ran a low voltage disconnect for quite a long time and I have logged each cell voltage over several thousands of miles. I recorded them at 1hz, but also recorded total V as well. I concluded that as long as I didnít have issues starting or a failing charging system that the low voltage disconnect wasnít needed. Sure it would likely ruin the battery if I pulled the cells under 2.5V, but at $30 for a battery who cares? As far as balance charging, thereís never been a need. The cells have always remained very consistent and balanced. I do have a balance charger that I can if I need balance the cells, but it hasnít been out of the tool box in two years. Even the 2500mah battery works just fine. I have converted my regulator and rectifier to solid state units, but thatís recommended for all modern battery chemistryís.

All of the said, battery management circuits can be had for like $6. Combined with the battery i posted you have the equivalent of the Antigravity but at a massive cost savings. Finally, Iíll add that Antigravcity batteries a few years back were not managed, they pitched their overpriced RC car battery charger to all their customers. In summary, if you know what you are doing my battery is absolutely suited to bike use.

Quick edit: Iíll add that my low voltage disconnect was automatic, not plugging or unplugging required. Also, my RD draws less than 5 amps, but it will charge at nearly 6amps, so I end up running a 10amp fuse. With that in mind, a 50amp plug is an absolutely silly sized plug for a motorcycle, itís what we use to jump 2 liter formula cars.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2019, 13:31:53 by Sav0r »
Sav0r the adventure.

Visit www.chrislivengood.net to get more information on my RD350 dubbed Mia Wallace as well as my other projects and snafus.

Instagram

Offline Sav0r

• ChrisLivengood.net
« Reply #258 on: Mar 19, 2019, 13:52:57 »
One additional note, while the price advantage of the RC battery is nice the main advantage is packaging. I didnít like the dimensions of the AG battery within the packaging constraints of my build, those were rather considerable but resulted in a 270lbs RD350.
Sav0r the adventure.

Instagram

Offline wozza

« Reply #259 on: Mar 19, 2019, 18:50:55 »
Meh each to their own....sounds like you have it sorted......I prefer a simple elegant solution as cost isnt always a factor for me ...anyway getting off topic sorry OP;)
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2019, 19:01:27 by wozza »