www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

OUR ADS ARE FROM SUPPORTERS OF THE COMMUNITY - CONSIDER TURNING YOUR AD-BLOCKER OFF FOR WWW.DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550  (Read 2753 times)

Offline doctorcat

Re: 1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2018, 21:24:39 »
I feel like you might already know this, but if there isn't a conversion bearing option you might be able to go the route of pressing the gpz steering stem in zx10r lower triple tree. My kz750r1 is using a zx9r upper and lower yokes with a kz steering stem. If the zx10r steering stem is smaller than the gpz stem, you're in business. Vice versa with those dimensions would make things a little trickier.

I might just call up allballs and give them the dimensions. The other option is just keeping them for another project that may be coming down in the works. The forks are now entirely rebuilt, and I'm about to embark on sealing the air assist off as I fitted progressive springs and no longer need them. I'm just going to thread the hole and epoxy a screw into place.

so here's an update...

the car fired
I had the plugs out and it sparked!
so the starter works, the wiring works, and I just need to clean everything up now. This is SO EXCITING MY BIKE WILL BE READY FOR SPRING!

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2018, 21:25:55 »

another quick video of some recent build stuff...
I've got tons of photos and only a few videos of build stuff day by day. I tend to work in bursts when I feel creative or angry and frustrated with something else in life.

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #22 on: Apr 08, 2018, 16:17:10 »
It started!

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #23 on: Apr 26, 2018, 11:35:44 »
Lots of work this week since I'm on vacation. Let's start with where we are so far:

Rear frame was repaired after bad chop job and hooped with the metal hoop kit from DCC and welding from Interstellar motor's Rich Odlum (on his new TIG machine)
seat pan fabbed out of steel
tank cleaning effort failed, too many holes in the factory one and I hated the look. Swapped for an 81 KZ550/GPZ550 tank. Eventually wouldn't mind getting the zx550 tank with the fuel gauge It fits great, but it's shorter so the seat itself needs to be extended

Suspension:
Replaced rear shock with YSS custom sprung unit
Tore down front forks, drilled damper rods and installed adjustable cartridge from YSS set to 7 turns on both sides
Air assist delete: 2 grub screws, tap and thread the holes, and use marine JB WELD around the sides of the screws to seal it up good
Progressive front spring kit, new fluid and seals

Electronics:
harness from scratch using M Unit as the base. It was totally overwhelming so I started with the ACC circuit, and then did the ignition circuit separately and it was much easier. Now I'm struggling through wiring up a gauge cluster.

It fires up and runs now, I rode it around the parking lot. Good time!

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2018, 11:37:36 by doctorcat »

Offline Sam_I_Am

• Your Insurance Broker - WA & ID
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 04:33:23 »
This is looking great man!

What gaiters did you use? Put the wrong size on there and can't seem to find the right ones.

Painting the wheels looks good - I need to get that done!
1981 GPz550 Cafe Build

Offline doctorcat

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2018, 19:30:52 »
did a video blog update for this most recent buildup plus a sort of explanation of everything done so far...