www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 3DogNate's '05 H-D Sportster Scrambler build - AKA "Project Dual-Sportster"  (Read 17966 times)

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him
I say powder it. Bronze.
The shiny aluminum just doesn't do it for me, seems out of place.

Yes the powder will get scratched and chipped, but if it's truly a dual sport who cares? Par for the course!

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Another vote for bronze.  I was talking to my neighbour the other day who was pulling up in his freshly minted Audi - he'd just dropped a few hundred bucks on clear vinyl wrapping his hood.  After a year or so or getting hammered by stone chips etc you just peel off the vinyl that's taken a few for the team and replace it - the paint underneath is undamaged.

Wonder of you could powder the plate, and then wrap it.  The wrap'll get the crap kicked out of it but it'll protect the paint - replace the vinyl as/when needed. 
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
That stuff is great on new paint/powder. FIL had it done on a Passat and it protected the hood great. Can't see why not on a bash plate.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
Bronze would look good, for sure.
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • "You Meet the Nicest People on a Honda"
Agh you guys are killing me... I've got to pull the carb and manifold sometime this weekend to replace the manifold to head seals and dig around the pilot / air mix screw circuit to figure out why the mix screw is ineffective. I went to a 48 pilot and still no adjustment... Stock is a 45, most Stage 1 / 2 setups only need a 46 pilot. I thought I had all circuits clean when I did the rebuild.  (This was a symptom the bike exhibited before I tore it down and is what prompted me to rebuild the carb.)

But I'll probably pull the skid plate and powder it while I'm wrenching on it.

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Okay, So I powdered up the skid plate in bronze. I got out and rode about 100 miles today on it... it's running pretty okay, I still have some carb tweaking to do... it's running pretty okay, I am running a CVP needle / emulsion tube and Main jet... as a system I don't know that everything together is really spot on. I'm going to go back to the stock needle, emulsion tube and a 185 or 180 main jet and see where I am... I think I made too many changes at once to know what's up. It pulls really hard now when i get into mid throttle and get the RPM up... it's a little flat transitioning from pilot to main though. But even then it was still a pleasure to ride today for a decent ride.

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Here are some better pictures of it that I grabbed last week. The skid plate is still raw aluminum, and I've since flipped the mirrors to the bottom side of the bars for visibility as the wide bars it's difficult to see behind me past my arms and shoulders. I've gotten really good feedback from everyone that has seen it in person, very pleased.

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
Sweet!
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Really great looking sportster man, beautifully done.  The bronze elements are pure class.  Every time I see a decent looking sporty I'm bummed I sold mine!
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline 3DogNate

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Just a drop-in to show that I've not actually stopped improving this bike. This weekend I added a Dart flyscreen and color matched it to the bike and added a decal number to it "05" since it's an '05 sporty. I've got a performance tuned carb on the way and a Daytona TC88A ignition module... those should wake it up a little more, I should be able to get those on after next weekend and if I decide to go ahead with that Hammer 1275 kit after all. I'll be all set and will just need jugs, pistons and head work.