www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB750 No Plunger Hellride Freedom Machine  (Read 45818 times)

Offline clem

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • static fluff
Re: CB750 No Plunger Hellride
« Reply #50 on: Oct 15, 2017, 10:49:11 »
Sell those things to a plumber and use the money to buy more radness for this bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app

"After every war there are soldiers who refuse to surrender. To this day there are still thousands who cling to their 30+ year old motorcycles, thinking that the war is still on, refusing to concede that the four-strokes have won"

1972 DS7 http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=45886.msg505995#msg505995
1983 CB550sc bobber http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=30599.30

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #51 on: Oct 15, 2017, 12:12:37 »
Sell those things to a plumber and use the money to buy more radness for this bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using DO THE TON mobile app
Ha!  I can't keep my washing machine drain from clogging.  Maybe I can throw those fuckers down there. 

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Dolor est Magister Optimus
« Reply #52 on: Oct 15, 2017, 12:58:35 »
I have that inclination but I kinda want to stick with the plunger, if only because there aren't many out there. 
As the research goes, there is only one suspension worse then a hardtail and that's a plunger.
If that's the case, I think I would've welded up the Plunger in a fixed position and ran that instead. That way it would ride like a hardtail, but look like a plunger.
Sadly (for me), the frame has lost it's "hook", and now looks like a cookie cutter hardtail.
When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

It is the same when you are Stupid.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #53 on: Oct 15, 2017, 13:56:53 »
If that's the case, I think I would've welded up the Plunger in a fixed position and ran that instead. That way it would ride like a hardtail, but look like a plunger.
Sadly (for me), the frame has lost it's "hook", and now looks like a cookie cutter hardtail.
Sorry to disappoint.  It was a hard decision that I went back and forth on for months.  Thanks for making it easier.  It's not a cookie cutter kit to turn it into a hard tail and it's not cookie cutter axle plates.  That's all done by me in my own design.  I figured I'd lose some fans of this build with the decision, but I gained a few inches in length to sit (which it needed) and I won't wobble and die at high speeds (which is common with plungers).  Not sure how welding up the plunger to make it into a fake plunger is better than turning it into a hardtail.  I'm not into faking things.  I might not always do it right, but I do it honestly.  Considering I've just been told that it's a waste of these USD forks on a hardtail, I'm definitely building a roster of vocal critics.  I'm sure this build will attract way more vocal critics than I have now. 

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #54 on: Oct 15, 2017, 14:58:01 »
I recycled the plunger axle plates and boxed them out. Put in torsion bars to stiffen up the frame.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Dolor est Magister Optimus
« Reply #55 on: Oct 15, 2017, 15:41:33 »
I wasn't trying to bash or suggest you should do anything differently. Nor am I disappointed. I'm of the opinion that "it's your bike, do whatever makes you happy".
I'm no Bob/Chop suspension (or anything else) expert, but it seemed to me the "unusualness" of the plunger rear was the draw. Now it no longer has that.
And all I was "pondering" with making a fake plunger was to keep the unusualness of it while improving the function. Fundamentally the same premise as using a vintage headlight and/or taillight shell, but installing LED fixtures/bulbs to improve visibility/safety.

But you do you dude. Don't let me interrupt. I'll keep my uneducated musings to myself, as not to be lumped in with the rabble rousers ;) :P
When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

It is the same when you are Stupid.

Offline Cookie

• God help the child who grows out of everything
« Reply #56 on: Oct 15, 2017, 16:21:47 »
"The Hellride Formerly Known as Plunger"?

Lol

True it loses some uniqueness without the plunger  rear end, but as you said Irk, it wasn't born that way, and the plunger that were cobbled from hardtails were even more unsafe than the handrails they started out as. Kind of like those guys who make a "hardtail" by bolting some steel rod in where the rear shocks used to be.

It may not have the same character, but it's still pretty sexy looking! My only gripe is that you seem to be able to turn out projects faster than I can read your posts about them!

And I for one like the forks. Wasteful or not, they give it character that a cookie cutter hardtail will otherwise lack.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 18:44:18 by Cookie »
* Insert something witty here *

81 CB750C
84 Tempter - well, most of it...

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #57 on: Oct 15, 2017, 17:32:16 »
Captain America's got what you need.  LOL

Maybe a little more this...

You definitely gotta do the king/queen w sissy bar.
« Last Edit: Oct 15, 2017, 17:36:57 by trek97 »

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #58 on: Oct 15, 2017, 20:39:50 »
Captain America's got what you need.  LOL

Maybe a little more this...

You definitely gotta do the king/queen w sissy bar.

Ha! I doubt I'll do that seat. You saw that Schwinn girder front I got from Levi, right? That goes on the bike I got from you.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #59 on: Oct 15, 2017, 22:14:40 »
I like the new length and the bracing.  Do you think you'll have to run a mid-chain tensioner ?