www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)  (Read 9358 times)

Offline jordandogtown

• Washed up Weekend Warrior
Re: 1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)
« Reply #180 on: Jun 24, 2019, 17:10:23 »
I didn't document much of the painting process because it was one of the more stressful parts of my young life. I was in a (self induced) time crunch to get the engine painted, which led to taping and painting it under a carport during a light thunderstorm. The paint went on well enough, but the storm picked up and blew in enough rain to create several small spots in the topcoat. I redid everything the next weekend and it's still not perfect but close enough for me without disassembling the whole lump.

I painted the frame and other connecting bits with good ol Rustoleum appliance epoxy and spent a few days building up the courage to mate the two back together. I used foam, moving blankets, carpet, an engine hoist, an extra set of hands and was still a nervous wreck the entire time. A few small touch ups later, and she was much heavier:

As you could probably guess at this point, I didn't have a clue how the paint scheme would end up. Except for one thing; it had to be red. I spent a solid week removing paint, learning how to use bondo, filling dents and the emblem mounts, then a ton of sanding/priming/sanding/priming. After it was smooth enough, I laid down a couple cans worth of Troy Bilt Red Tractor epoxy. Sure, it's not the infamous Tahitian Red I originally wanted, but it's also not $30 a can and once it's cured is some of the toughest spray paint I've seen.

The camera doesn't pick up the real color quite like in person, but just imagine the most generic red crayon you can find and this is it.

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics" George Fitch, 1916

1979 CB750F Tracker (maybe?)

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline jordandogtown

« Reply #181 on: Jun 24, 2019, 17:17:33 »
I needed to break up all the red somehow, but didn't want to commit to painting something else on top. After some youtubin' I decided to try out this new fangled vinyl wrap stuff all the kids are going on about. I picked up some generic auto vinyl from amazon and spent most of the day Sunday tracing templates, cutting, and trimming. I really dig the design so far, but thankfully I can just pull it off and change it up whenever I inevitably decide to.

The emblem got a coat of the same black appliance epoxy, and I may end up highlighting the letters in white or silver. Solid black looks fine in person but doesn't photograph very well.

It's really hard to show everything accurately with one photo, but it actually turned out pretty good. Different strokes considered

"A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils, and lunatics" George Fitch, 1916

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #182 on: Jun 24, 2019, 17:42:14 »
Looks good man. Hand cutting decals is tough. If you ever want some decals cut, send me a PM.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #183 on: Jun 25, 2019, 16:29:28 »
Cool paint!

Offline jordandogtown

« Reply #184 on: Jul 10, 2019, 15:30:35 »
Over the past couple weeks I finalized the suspension, rear sets, shift linkage, and brakes. I did about everything I could with it on the table, then finally got the engine hoist out and set her back on the ground. All that's left (LOL) is electrical, some gaskets, a couple switches, exhaust, and a headlight. My original plan had me riding by now, but it's 100 degrees and Kentucky humid so I wouldn't be riding anything right now anyways. There's a vintage show in Louisville in September that I plan on attending, but I would like to get some seat time in before then.

I wheeled it out into the sun to see all my imperfections in the light and snagged a few glamour shots. No where near perfect or museum worthy, but I did sit on it for about 20 minutes making engine noises and felt pretty satisfied - albeit incredibly uncomfortable  ;D

Instagram

1979 CB750F Part Out

Offline pidjones

« Reply #185 on: Jul 10, 2019, 16:20:55 »
Just for S&G you should try to make it down to Stearns this Saturday for the Moonshiner's Run show. Sounds like they will have a great turn-out this year.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline Pete12

« Reply #186 on: Jul 10, 2019, 18:13:12 »
Wow, that looks awesome, great job.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #187 on: Jul 11, 2019, 08:36:49 »
Looking great! Nice job.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline KPSguy

« Reply #188 on: Jul 11, 2019, 10:05:46 »
Very cool looks great ! Get er done for some Fall fun!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk