www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB450 Tracker  (Read 23235 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Re: CB450 Tracker
« Reply #190 on: Feb 28, 2019, 22:35:12 »
When the cases are wet blasted you may find 'shadows' in the surface from various things in the alloy. ( like it wasn't stirred up to make it consistent) Things got better over time but early motors can have a pretty nasty look, (like someone tried to paint it silver, after they had used brush for black paint  ::) ) it's why Honda painted the top case silver
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Pete12

« Reply #191 on: Feb 28, 2019, 23:33:25 »
My favorite build on here right now!  Awesome work I love all the handmade parts.  Did you do the triples on a cnc mill or conventional?
Thanks very much. The mill is a knee mill with a CNC conversion on it so it can do curves, it just requires a lot of manual input.

When the cases are wet blasted you may find 'shadows' in the surface from various things in the alloy. ( like it wasn't stirred up to make it consistent) Things got better over time but early motors can have a pretty nasty look, (like someone tried to paint it silver, after they had used brush for black paint  ::) ) it's why Honda painted the top case silver

I dropped them off this morning (Anthony Gunter is doing them, for anyone that used to watch Aussie Motocross) so I'll see how they come back, worst case is I paint them so no problem.

I didn't really have anywhere to run my cables around the top crown, so I took it off and milled two slots into it. Once I had it finished I polished it back up and then re-installed it. It worked out well as the brake and throttle cable now have plenty of room to move when going lock to lock, and all the switch gear cables have plenty of room as well.

Offline cb360j

« Reply #192 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:08:25 »
That is really freaking cool.
Also, did you make the headlight bracket?
« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2019, 08:10:06 by cb360j »

Offline Pete12

« Reply #193 on: Mar 01, 2019, 08:57:45 »
Thanks, yes I did make the headlight brackets. The brackets themselves were easy, the clamps that hold them onto the forks were a little more difficult...

Offline Slotter69

« Reply #194 on: Mar 14, 2019, 21:27:44 »
Awesome work Rats! Johnboy will be over the moon when this project gets completed & good to see you get him doing all the tedious stuff (sanding etc). Your extensive tools & machines make me jealous but I could not work with them like you do - you are a master craftsman matee.
Keep up the great work & look forward to seeing the final outcome.

Offline Pete12

« Reply #195 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:19:17 »
Haha, thanks Slotta, it's getting closer now, just need to give up the day job.

Picked up the cases yesterday, they came up very nicely, but are a bit pitted, so a couple of coats of flat black should fix that up. Today I picked up the cylinder, bored by a local company to 0.002", so that, combined with the higher compression ratio, should work out good. I can now start assembling the engine ready to go back into the frame. After that it's just the wiring and rear exhaust mount and it'll be ready for the test run.

Offline Pete12

« Reply #196 on: Mar 18, 2019, 07:14:55 »
I got my cases and cylinder painted today and, after some pre-rubbing on the cases, they came out very nice, much better than I had expected. I baked the paint on and after letting them cure for a day or two I can then assemble the bottom end.
I also stuck my little sticker on the swing arm haha.

Offline Pete12

« Reply #197 on: Mar 20, 2019, 07:15:43 »
I got the bottom end assembled tonight. I replaced the bearing locating pins (Partzilla had them in stock for a couple of dollars each) so everything is nice and tight. I also measured the clearance in the conrods and they are well within spec and I checked the run out in my lathe and it was less than 0.001", so all good there too. The cases look good in flat black, although there is a  bit of assembly oil on them that will clean up later. I tried a side cover, which is satin black, and it looked quite good against the flat black, so I'm pretty happy there too. I will assemble the pistons and cylinder in the next few days but I have to go back to Vietnam for a couple of weeks so I'll do the cylinder head assembly when I get home.