www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 2150cc Evo Custom Updates  (Read 7595 times)

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: 2150cc Evo Custom Updates
« Reply #30 on: Feb 12, 2018, 16:43:23 »
While today I went to the workshop to pay the bill for all the work they'd done, as the bike is complete now. Just need to source / make a pair of bar ends and that's it.

They did me a good deal on the labour, which I'm v grateful for.

The cost for this 'Mid Life Update' is as follows

New Risers / foot peg mounts              £0   (as they were homemade)

Modify the swing arm                          £140  (£70 Welding + £70 powder coat)

New Tacho/Speedo Unit                      £140

Moto Gadget M Unit & Switches etc      £450

Ceramic Anodising Oil Tank                  £90

New chain                                           £100

Incidentals (Wiring, Oil, filter etc)         £60

Labour                                               £400

Grand Total                                        £1340

It'll be delivered home next week, when we'll load up my Guzzi Cafe Racer to take back to the workshop. I'll be able to work on it myself at the workshop, something I dont have the space to do at home at the moment. I may bite the bullet and re do all the wiring I've already done, and use another Moto Gadget M unit and switchgear. Its not cheap but I think the Guzzi deserves it...

Online crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #31 on: Feb 12, 2018, 20:52:37 »
Unless it had Bosch electrics the Guzzi will need it  ;) I know Italian electrical systems are better than they were but if you ever had an Italian bike with Spanish electrics,...................well you either know or don't want to.
BTW, I like Guzzi's even better than Duc's
Didn't know about shovel with Webber's, too much 'stuff' not enough time  8)
Looks like a manifold onto stock heads?
I can't remember but don't tink there is clearance between intake and rockerbox on Shovel? I have some Evo heads but never got around to taking 'proper' angle measurements to machine them. Do remember intake runner can run almost parallel to intake valve stem which is way less work than the welded up/re-machined intakes I've seen on a few 'local' drag bikes (I'm not much into drag racing, unless I'm the one racing but being lousy at it, I 'don't' I did get on TV once (so I'm told, never saw it) around 1995~96, at Landow. BBC were doing something there and I was 'just having fun'

« Last Edit: Feb 12, 2018, 21:09:00 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #32 on: Feb 14, 2018, 09:39:12 »
The only standard part left of the Guzzi electrics is the Saprisi charging system... which is a weak point.. As for downdraft carbs on Harleys, the problem has always been the lack of space between the heads. The solution, as used by the XR race bikes is to reverse the inlet of the rear head, so you have two carbs. I'd love to fit those heads on my Ironhead, but they are as rare as hens teeth and v expensive when they appear.

Interestingly I've got a mate who owns an engineering company who has plans to make his own twin carb heads to fit an Evo Sportster. He's done a lot of work on race spec E Type Jag engines, so he could be the man to do it.

Online crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #33 on: Feb 14, 2018, 16:10:14 »
I know a little about the XR's, even the 4 valve heads Harley never made  ;)
You can fit two 'front' heads without too much trouble but as exhaust ports at front are such a horrible angle it's more a styling exercise .
 I spent way more time at HD than I should have considering I was teaching Suzuki  ;D
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:07:31 »
The alloy swing arm is making good progress, this weekend the holes for the wheel adjusters will be milled out, along with removing some material from the inside of the spars to lose some weight. It shoulds be ready to be welded up early next week..

While here's the last short vid of the bike now the electrics are all done..

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #35 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:36:50 »
The slots for the adjuster blocks have been milled out of the two swing arm spars, while another half kilo has been saved by milling out the inside of the spars. I quick guesstimate says it'll be less than half the weight of the original steel arm when finished.

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2018, 13:01:55 »
Whilst your bike - respectfully - may not be exactly my thing, your dedication and enthusiasm to customizing it exactly to your taste is infectious.  I've been reading with great interest, and will continue to do so.  10/10 for balls-out originality!
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #37 on: Feb 19, 2018, 15:27:33 »
Cheers, I guess I have odd taste lol.. actually that swing arm will probably be used in a bike that doesn't exist yet, I will build it, and the swing arm will be the first piece of the jigsaw..

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #38 on: Feb 19, 2018, 15:32:55 »
Anyone that builds a Harley Norton mash-up that looks as good as the one you built has anything but odd taste! 

Nothing odd about it my man, just...different.  And thank goodness for that.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline Bevelheadmhr

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #39 on: Feb 19, 2018, 15:53:57 »
It would be a dull old world if everyone liked the same thing.. Like today I had the chance to look over a couple of new factory built Italian V twin specials... one a café racer with full exquisite alloy bodywork.. they were both a bit 'different' but I thought they were great. I was told one had cost over $70K to build, with the Ti exhaust being a hefty $10K.. And they weren't Ducatis or Aprilias... I wasn't allowed to take any photos, as they hadn't been announced to the world yet.

As for the new project... I have a race bike that doesn't fit into any race category anymore and would be too loud for the noise limits that more tracks are having to instigate.. so I'm planning to have a nice man build a new frame for the race bike and convert it into a road bike.... well that's the plan anyway.