www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 83 Yamaha TR1 cafe build  (Read 2918 times)

Offline briandk

83 Yamaha TR1 cafe build
« on: Nov 04, 2017, 15:11:34 »
I'm far from the first one to do a build based on the TR1 or XV920, but here is mine.

I bought the bike back in December and got a ton of spares with it, including a whole bike with 2600 km on the clock, but with no papers and with frame/engine number that some previous owner hammered in himself. Rumor has it that the spare bike was a motorcycle magazine review sample.

The plan so far is R6 forks, but not USD. I have a 2002 R6 right side up fork that should be a bit longer and hopefully give me a bit more groundclearance. I bought a cognito moto stem for it and am currently waiting for the guy who is going to swap the stems to be done.  As for tank, I first bought a mojave just like everyone else, but ended up changing my mind. The current plan is a KZ400 tank. I got one a while back and it seems to fit ok.

Here the main bike sits with 78000 km on the clock, before the work begins. As a bonus, in the back is a friends BMW build.

First job was getting the seat off, something that turned out to be a bit harder than I had thought as the right side seat latch was stuck and took few good hammer blows to come loose.

Next up was removing the rear subframe and exhausts. The clamps around the mufflers fell apart when I un-did them, rusted through. The left side muffler has also started to come apart where it meets the headers.

Starting to be able to see the swingarm's condition. It has a few rust spots, but I'll see how it looks tomorrow. Worst case I have the spare bike to steal some parts from.

Online der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
Re: 83 Yamaha TR1 cafe build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2017, 19:12:20 »
Doesn't look too bad.  ;)
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Mule TR1.1 build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75458.0

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211

Offline briandk

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2017, 14:57:54 »
Thanks nanno :)

Today was mostly spend getting the rear wheel off and the chain broken. I don't think I've ever seen so much grease in one place before. I managed to get myself and most of my tools covered in it.

After getting everything removed, I tried offering up my CB750 wheel and it looks like everything pretty much lines up. Should only be a matter getting the spacers right.

Offline briandk

« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2017, 12:20:39 »
Pretty bad day today in the workshop. I got a cognito moto stem to mount an R6 front end on the bike, but after screwing the R6 top nut on the stem it was totally stuck and taking it off again ruined the threads on the stem.

Iíve reached out to cognito moto to see whatís up. Besides that I spend most of the time fighting with the monoshock pin, it seems to be quite stuck. I took the swing arm off the bike so I had a better angle to work on it, but to no avail. Letting it soak with penetrating oil now

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2017, 13:40:51 by briandk »

Offline The Limey

• Evil English Villain
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2017, 12:40:29 »
Cool! You have a sofa in your garage.
I was born a rocker.  I'll die a rocker.  And I'm proud of it.

Offline briandk

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2017, 13:39:34 »
Cool! You have a sofa in your garage.

Full kitchen including dish washer also :)

Offline briandk

« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2017, 11:43:29 »
Had an hour or so to sneak away to the garage today, so took the front end off. Amazing how many wires and connections they managed to fit into the headlight. Still no luck getting the pin out that hold the shock to the swingarm so think I will have to get a gas torch and try with some heat.

Offline briandk

« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2017, 13:48:33 »
Cognito Moto immediately offered to replace both stem and nut. Excellent service. Iíll also use their stem pressing service this time.

Offline briandk

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2017, 15:26:56 »
Today I got my sprocket and chainring sorted.

The original gearing on the TR1/XV920 is 16/35 on a 630 chain. I am changing to a 530 chain and from the stock 18Ē rear to a 17Ē based on a Honda CB750 DOHC hub with a K8 SOHC sprocket carrier (CB750 K7 and K8 has more sprocket offset than earlier years, so room for a wider tire).

I had a custom 19t/530 counter shaft sprocket machined and to match stock gearing I would need around 38t on the back. Not so easy to find such a small size in 530 and with Honda 4 bolt pattern, but the bike is already low geared and I didnít want to make it worse. I ended up with a CB650 82-83 chainring which JTS makes in the right size (JTR284).

« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2017, 15:29:14 by briandk »

Offline Ryan Stecken

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2017, 04:22:56 »
Count me in Sir!