83 Yamaha TR1 cafe build

Nanno: I’ll keep that in mind. I want to see what I can do on my own first though.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Got the Biltwell whiskey throttle installed and hooked up to the two Mikuni tm85 flatslides that replace the old Hitachi CVs.

I like the look of the original handlebar controls so I’ll reuse that for the throttle side, but want to find something resembling it but without a choke lever for the left side, rd350 or XS650 perhaps.

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0814.JPG
    IMG_0814.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 434
Any identical looking switchcluster will work, if you transfer the innards into the other switchcluster. (It's what I did on my XS750 in order to hook up a cable-operated choke for my flatslides...)

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
Cool project! What is the whiskey throttle you mention? Quick action? Like what you've done with the tank and the front end!

Thanks.

It's this one: https://www.biltwellinc.com/p395/buy/parts-amp-accessories/throttles/7-8-inch/-cast-whiskey-throttle-7-8-quot-single-black/

It's not quick action, but pretty nice built quality and has a nice snap to it with the flatslides: https://youtu.be/_0GZcCLlpO4

Got my hub back from central-wheel.co.uk, now laced to a black 5” rim with polished spokes and the hub powder coated satin black. I’m waiting for a bearing kit to arrive in the mail, but threw it on the bike to see how it’ll look and if the clearance with the 170/55 tire was ok. Plenty of space in the swing arm but have yet to see if I’ll need to offset the chain.

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 421
  • IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 426
  • IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 410
You will love those carbs. I can't believe the difference they made to my xv1100

This build is looking great man! Love the wheels. I'm wanting to go wider on my 81 XV750 with a spoke setup, It doesn't seem that you had to notch out the swingarm to get that wide of a wheel & tire setup.

Did you run into any issues there? Or maybe the width of the TR1 swingarm is more than the 750?

Looks great man!

grandavemoto said:
This build is looking great man! Love the wheels. I'm wanting to go wider on my 81 XV750 with a spoke setup, It doesn't seem that you had to notch out the swingarm to get that wide of a wheel & tire setup.

Did you run into any issues there? Or maybe the width of the TR1 swingarm is more than the 750?

Looks great man!

Thanks!

On the TR1 the swing arm is not an issue at all. Depending on how far back the wheel sits in it, I think I could fit a 180-190 wheel. I believe the XV750 swing arm might have less room since the shaft takes some space. I’d definitely measure before picking a size.

The issues I’ve had was the drum brake stay arm as it doesn’t clear the wheel, but I’m having a new one with a bend in it made up. Also if I went wider than the 170 I have on now, I think I would run into chain clearance issues or having to offset the countershaft sprocket.

While I wait for a 7” headlight shell to arrive in the mail, I played around with using the original huge headlight. The LSL headlight brackets are the short version and I still think it sits a bit too far out. What do you guys say? Yay or nay?

Attachments

• IMG_1953.JPG
    IMG_1953.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 377
  • IMG_1954.JPG
    IMG_1954.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 369
  • IMG_1955.JPG
    IMG_1955.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 366
Build is still going even though work and life has been limiting me to a few hours a week. I believe I have the electricals fully figured out and planned and today I went by to test fit the seatpan. I still need to figure out exactly how to mount it so that it’s relatively easy removable.

Attachments

• IMG_2513.JPG
    IMG_2513.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 320
Motoscope Pro mounted. The leds in the triple made it quite problematic to get a bracket to fit, as much of the underside of the top tripple is taken up by the led housing. I ender up talking a motogadget official bracket, bending it S shaped and cutting away a large portion of it.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 285
Back
Top Bottom