www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Another XT500 build  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Psycrow

Another XT500 build
« on: Nov 19, 2017, 16:12:25 »
As stated over on my XS750 Tracker thread the XS was sold off to fund the next project a 77 XT500 Enduro. I have some riding buddies who love to play in the dirt and my poor Bonneville has been getting slightly abused and the realization that the XS was never going to keep up I needed something else. However I was none too excited about picking up a modern Dual Sport ... it had to have a little vintage flair. Enter the XT500 ... I will admit I was still playing on my big wheel when the XT was in its hayday and although I have seen  pleanty of SR500s I didnt even know the XT and TT existed.
I picked up this bike from a Guy who I meet when helping a friend buy a CB750 SOHC it  was in pieces and covered in dust in the corner. Seller was mostly positive it was complete...and he was correct... after a fashion.  Seems it may have been used for serious off road work in the past as the Frame and engine says XT but many parts in the boxes came from TT's... since this is not a restoration, it will be used and abused on the trails I wasn't concerned about putting it back origional... I have the freedom to do my own kind of mix of vintage and modern.

As I bought it...

I also have thread over on an XT dedicated board but I thought some here my be intrested as well. Plans are to reassemble, find out what's missing start a mockup and mod... clean and paint... since this is a working bike function will be given preference over form and since I have kids to put through school there will be no fancy powder coating and boxes of fancy CNC'ed bolt on parts.. shes going to be a dirty girl and most of the fab work will be done with scrap I have around the garage.

Psy

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2017, 16:17:27 by Psycrow »

Offline Psycrow

Re: Another XT500 build
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2017, 22:52:59 »
Initial Mock up.. quick stock.. missing original airbox and inner mudguard. Looks like TT upper tripple (no guage mounts) and an XT lower Tree (has horn mount). TT front wheel as its missing the left side integrated speedo and has the right side TT speedo option kit. Mis matched guages ( not sure ill use either tack has the engine side plugged and speedo has no odometer or backlighting so its off a later model TT as well)

Bypassed wiring harness and made a mini ignition harness to test. Bike runs... but running poorly.. main Jet is a 320 stock sbould be 230.. pilot is stock 35... Stock jetting and and K&N filter ordered.

Psy

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2017, 20:55:03 »
Stock Jetting and K&N installed along with timming set has the bike starting well. That's good enough for now, moving on to running gear and cosmetics. Mock up of instrument bracket that will double as a flyscreen mount. Mocked up with the TT speedo and ignition only... flip flopping about the tach... and looking at mini speedos with intigrated idiot lights and an LED headlight. Will go with a 12v conversion and all LED lighting with a kit from Rex's Speed Shop.
Plastics are for a TT and the rear doesn't fit very well as the rear sub on the XT and TT are slighy different... so I made up a little bracket to mount it.. this will also anchor a bracket that will run down the underside of the fender to better support the tail light and a plate mount Ill need to fab. Stripped the old vinyl off the seat, shaved the foam and reaised the rear tank mount to give it a more modern line.
Cleaned and painted the header, dry fitted the muffler and got some stainless fastners for the heat shields. Made a cardboard pattern for the header heat shield.

Psy

« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2017, 21:01:50 by Psycrow »

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2017, 01:20:57 »
Another update... Sandblasted many parts and repainted...cleaned up one of the rear shocks however the other is leaking and since they are not rebuildable it was a waste of time looks like Ill need to replace them with something new..

Modded up an old rear rack that's been sitting around the garage from a 70's Suzuki, made a simple header heat shield

Psy

Offline MCKAY34

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26, 2017, 21:59:13 »
Ohhhhhhh itís an xt500 build off!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline MCKAY34

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2017, 22:00:26 »
Hahah only joking, itís looking great! Keep it up. And keep the posts coming. Will be keeping a close eye on this one. At least yours starts and runs!! Haha

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:52:03 »
Hah will do... Runs for now but it has a nasty hesitation just off idle and it dosenr want to start after its warm... but problems for another day! ;)

Psy.

Keeping an Eye on your build as well, looking good.

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2017, 06:56:32 »
Speaking up updates... Started mocking up a crashbar/skidplate... Not sure where its going or if I like it but well run with it for now and see where it leads us to. Also picked up some Marine Vinyl for a new seat cover..

Psy

Offline MCKAY34

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2017, 17:19:54 »
Look good! Mine wonít start when itís warm either.

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2018, 13:17:32 »
Well spring is just around the corner so its time to start getting things ready for project season. Picked up a parts bike for my Sons Ninja 500 project so thats 1st priority so he can ride this summer with me ..asuming he passes the driving test!.. However the XT is not forgotten. I have a new fuel petcock on the way as well as a 12v conversion kit for the electrical coming from the UK. The diy seat project did not turn out as well as Id hoped so it went out to a local guy and I have to say it was the right choice as it turned out better then expected!
Next projects are redoing the instrument cluster and headlight mount and finish the bash plate/ engine guard!

Psy

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk