www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Dirtbag Oil-Boiler  (Read 3494 times)

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
Re: Dirtbag Oil-Boiler
« Reply #20 on: Apr 18, 2018, 17:43:17 »
Are you done yet?    ;)
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
65 Norton, My damn Shovelhead chop, and an 86' FXR
more YZF750R's, the KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
« Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2018, 00:46:35 »
Lol, masters thesis is priority uno right now. I'll be done in 3 weeks and then the bikes can get some real attention
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2018, 02:23:48 by doc_rot »

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 05:02:15 »
Well i finally have some time to work on this. I wanted to check the compression, but my compression tester died on the second cylinder, I did pull the valve cover to discover....shims? 86 should have adjuster screws.  I think its a 91-92 based off the Engine VIN. (R716-120195) I started pulling things off as literally everything on this bike needs attention. Its a rolling basket case.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 16:22:54 »
That's a better setup than the earlier screw adjuster type.  Those shims will be easy to measure and swap.   Cool!
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
--

Offline 1fasgsxr

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 21:00:14 »
I still want one of this generation.
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 22:20:43 »
That's a better setup than the earlier screw adjuster type.  Those shims will be easy to measure and swap.   Cool!
Also good for an additional 16hp!

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 07:29:08 »
I have met a large debacle. I initially wasn't going to pull the motor, but the previous owner resprayed the it at one time and did a piss poor job of it. There is over-spray all over the frame and swing-arm, and the paint on the motor is flaking off badly. I pulled the engine to clean the frame properly and repaint the motor but while doing so I discovered one of the engine mount lugs on the frame has sheared off.

Im feeling like i should cut and run. There's too much ham-fisted stupid shit going on here. Its all parted out and ready to go, I could probably recoup my cost and then some based off the unusual parts.
Or.....
I could continue on. I have a friend who is more than qualified to repair this frame, and he'll probably do it for a 6 pack. Hell, I may even have him do some frame bracing while he's at it.

My concern is i'm gonna ride it, not like it, and want to sell it after putting a bunch of hard work into it.(been there done that) What is one of these worth if it was clean and everything had been gone through, with almost no original parts? $2000? (Bay area prices)

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:31:45 by doc_rot »

Offline Popeye SXM

• Also used for MX
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 10:50:39 »
I feel your pain. it is decision time.... Looks like a lot of work to make nice, how healthy is the motor. Judging by the rest of the bike probably not good

Online teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2018, 11:49:40 »
As I see it, not much is stock - motor is  a later Slingshot, rear wheel isn't stock, front wheel is a Dymag - OMG that wheel is worth a fortune - no it's not - I will swap it for a something more suitable at no cost to you.......

Any sign that the bike had been raced?  Bolts drilled for lockwire etc? Or is it just a mongrel?

Point is that it will never be 100% original but could be a fun bike and yes it will take time to rebuild and if you don't like it, someone will get a great bike to ride.  I cannot tell you how many bikes I have built over the years and sold almost immediately because I already lost interest in them.  You do not want to become me, but this one could be a fun project to build and resurrect.

I would plow on on an build it as a endurance racer look or other slightly customized look and get your cash back and have some fun building an updated slabbie maybe with newer USD forks.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2018, 12:59:34 »
Build it quick as a low buck racer, fix the frame, clean it up a little, bolt it back together and get it running.   You can minimize your time and $ investment and still come out with a bike that will be alot of fun to ride and should still sell easily enough if it's not your thing in the end.    My .02.  fwiw
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
--