www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Dirtbag Oil-Boiler  (Read 4261 times)

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
Re: Dirtbag Oil-Boiler
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 17:41:37 »
I just got off the phone with my buddy that will do the welding. He love the early GSXRs so maybe not the most un-biased opinion. he has convinced me to build it and do some frame bracing, while the repair is being done. I'm now looking for a junk frame to cut up and brace this frame with like the factory racers

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 20:02:01 »

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2018, 20:27:12 »
Or a good frame so you can use this junk frame for bracing.    ;)

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 20:36:02 »
I dunno if i'm going to go this crazy but i'm entertaining the idea.

Offline hooligan998

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 01:08:40 »
Love these old slab sides.  Following.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #35 on: Jun 05, 2018, 06:39:12 »
Here is the straw that broke the Gixxers back. Definitely wont be able to keep it under $1000 if i decide to proceed. Dirtbag's part out bikes, they don't rebuild motors. gonna think on it a while before i decide what to do.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #36 on: Jun 05, 2018, 12:38:13 »
Buggers, well at least there isn't a hole in it.   ;)
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 65 Norton, my never finished shovelhead chopper, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #37 on: Jul 21, 2018, 06:05:06 »
Well after thinking about it for a bit, I have decided to proceed. I'm too excited by the potential end result. There's no way I'm going to make my purposed $1000 budget, but if i can keep it under $2000 id be happy. I have started looking for a deal on a 1100 engine, but no luck yet.

I rebuilt the forks, and measured the spring which is about 18". the rebound spring is about 3.5". I'm pretty sure it has a lowering spring kit as the stock spring is supposed to be about 15". this explains why it seemed so low when i picked it up.

wondering if this is a this a desirable mod for this bike or was this setup for a short person?

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #38 on: Jul 21, 2018, 14:47:30 »
I can't decide if I should keep the 16" front Dymag, or use a set of Bandit 1200 wheels, rotors and 6 pot calipers my buddy offered up
Do the Bandit wheels and forks, 43mm are way better than the 37mm and rims are wider. That's probably my favorite motor ever but not so much the frame (600/750 Katana is 'better' frame,stiffer and more rigid) The alternators from any of the 'oil boilers' will fit but you need correct drive gear to match gear in engine. Later ones had a better rectifier/regulator but there isn't really anything wrong with early model. . Over charging is more common than undercharging (battery boils dry) It's caused by old connectors supplying wrong voltage to reg. Easiest fix is cut power to alternator and fit a relay direct from battery so you know it's getting battery voltage direct. My bike dropped from 17.4v to 14.2 after doing it (full field at idle is around 17v)
« Last Edit: Jul 21, 2018, 14:54:00 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #39 on: Jul 21, 2018, 14:59:49 »
The forks are 41mm on this bike, and i love the ridiculous adjuster on the fork leg so Im going to try to stay with them. After talking to the guys at Dymag they didn't recommend running a magnesium wheel of this vintage on the street. So i sold it to a dude in Japan for a tidy profit that will go back into this build. I picked up the bandit wheels from my buddy in a trade. They're gonna take some work to fit.