Author Topic: New Age Cafe Racer - Honda CB750 -79 from Finland  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Marcushyden

New Age Cafe Racer - Honda CB750 -79 from Finland
« on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:36:06 »
Hi everyone! Greeting from Finland!

First, I'm sorry for my "not-so-perfect" english. Hope you guys can manage with it.

I've been working on my project from august 2015, and I thought that maybe I should share it with you.
Hopefully I get some comments and help if I need it.

My building history begins at young age with mopeds, motocross-bikes and 125cc roadbikes.
Years later I got my driving license (18y old) and got involved with my own car projects.

Latest project I had, was Japan imported Nissan Silvia S15, which was one of the first streetlegal Silvias in Finland. I also got my Silvia featured in finnish magazines and few internetsites in states.
Here is link to one of them, if you are intressed:

...but lets get back to present project.

I've been dreaming of motorcycle that should be for pleasure, not so much driving fast. Cafe Racer -style motorcycle would be perfect for this kind of use.
So in 2015 I got to the business... After looking for a bike, I thought that I should build it myself! That way I will get the bike I want.

This first project message is like introduction to my world and to my project.
I will update this thread, so everyone knows from where did I begin and what is the situation today. Also my goals and inspirations will be revealed.

Offline Marcushyden

Re: New Age Cafe Racer - Honda CB750 -79 from Finland
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:37:50 »
Project started in august 2015

I was looking for Honda CB750, because there is lots of information and build-threads of this bike. Also parts are easy to find.
Unfortunately I did'n find any good CB's on sale in few weeks.

In August I found one on sale and the owner had put it online just 30 minutes ago. Quick call and I was heading to pick it up.

It was -79 CB750KZ imported from Germany. Bike was in good shape, although it has been standing in the barn from the year 2000.

Bike loaded and heading back to garage.
This is how it looked like when we unload it.

Few mods and repairs to get it registeration inspection. Everything in inspection was done in 15 minutes and now I had fully registered CB750!  8)

At the same night bike was already teared up.

Offline Marcushyden

« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:39:15 »
My visio is to build a bike, that is old but with a modern twist.
Inspirationbikes are these.

Plans for this build are:
- Everything as clean as possible
- USD-front end from a modern sport bike
- Monoshock rear end from a modern sport bike
- Full engine restoration
- "Race"-style short exhaust
- New tank and new rear/side fairings
- All new wirings and electricity
- Electricity and battery under the seat and rear fairing
- Carb restoration
- New speedometer, light etc.

I have few ideas of the color scheme, but I haven't decided yet. Everything comes clear to my mind, after bike is build.
Something neutral, big NO for flakes and patterns.
Engine and frame will be semi-gloss black.

Project continued with tearing everything apart.
Next thing I did, was sandplasted the frame.

Frame came out really good!

Also got myself a motorcycletable for better working enviroment.

Offline Marcushyden

« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:40:14 »
Removed everything from the frame,
- Steeringlock
- Suspension holders and middle-stand holders from the rear
- Hose and wire holders
- Saddlelock
- etc.

I will also open up the engine and replace crucial parts.
I want to build daily driver and it will need durable engine.

Engine almost in one piece

One pic from my garage, which is just few steps from my homedoor.
You can also see my fathers Harley Davidson project :)

Offline Marcushyden

« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:41:27 »
Engine looks good. Only minor machining need to be done.

- Cylinders will be honed (I don't know if that is the correct word?)
- New piston rings and piston cleaning.
- Cylinder head grinding, valves and channels cleaning
- All gaskets and bearings will be bought new

I don't look for more power, but engine should be working perfectly.

Parts are arriving every day, so I will post pictures of those later...

Please feel free to comment my project and ideas! 

Offline Marcushyden

« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:42:58 »
New parts are arriving everyday, so here is a little summary of the arrived parts..

From Finland I found 2005 GSX-R 1000 complete rear end with swingarm, rim, tire, brakes, shock and links, and foot rests.

From eBay came Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 tank.

Also from UK eBay I bought 2007 GSX-R 1000 full front end with telescopes, triple trees, switches, bars, brakes, rim and tire.
I got what I was looking... gold color  8)

Led-stringlight to the back

Frontlight with signals. I like to build this bike clean as I can.

From states I bought conversion stem for the front end. Cognitomoto rules!

Rear loop

Gauge/dashboard that will be fitted to the bike

Offline Marcushyden

« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:43:29 »
Engine, swingarm, wheels and tank... I go them sodaplasted and the result looks nice

Offline Marcushyden

« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:44:51 »
Parts for the biggest changes are now in my garage, so I couldn't resist to fit them and see how everything will looks...

Tank is more massive and roundish. I like it a lot!

Testing the rear end

Headlight will find its right place after everything is done...

Bike has been asked to be show'n at national motorcycle exhibition on first weekend of february. Also bike should be in American Car & Bike Show in March, and at Hot Rod & rock Show in April...

My goal is to finish and reveal bike in national motorcycle exhibition in february. I have to boost thing up, so I will manage that  ::)

Next on my to-do-list is get the engine done and fit swingarm correctly.

To get swingarm properly to the bike, I need to drill axlehole bigger and get it "piped" for durability.
Here is image that will clarify my thoughts:

Hole has to be drilled aprox. 5-8mm wider, so I can fit pipe and axle will fit correctly

Offline Marcushyden

« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:45:51 »
Project is going forward...

For fitting the swingarm, I got advice from another builder.
I'm not going to drill holes in the frame bigger. Local shop is going to make new collets/barrels for the swingarm, that I can fit orginal CB axle. Also it will center the swingarm to the frame.

Engine is in the local machineryshop, so I will get it later next week.
Everything for engine rebuild has been bought, so all I have to do next is assemble it.

Next week my friend who knows how to weld properly will come and we start weldings.
Cutting the rear frame and weld new hoop in place. Fitting the tank and weld all unnecessary holes. Slightly modifications to the frame and box for wires and battery.

I had to took some photos just to see how the bike will look when its ready. I really like the lenght, wideness and hight of the bike.

Offline Marcushyden

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2018, 14:56:18 »
First things first... My timeschedule was pretty hard and as you can see, we can now forget it. Project deadline WAS yesterday.

But lets not think about that...

I took the engineparts to the local machineryshop and everything was done in a week.

I don't know right words for the work they did, but all cylinders are hooned (?), surfaces are straigtened (?), pistons cleaned, all valves done and every enginepart is machinewashed to remove remaining soda dust.

Engine is under rebuild and should be in great condition after this  8)

Kawasaki Zephyr tankcap was not my cup of tea, so I bought Honda CBR 1000RR tank.

To replace original cap was so difficult that I let the professional machinery do to work.
It came perfect!

Kawasaki's and Honda's tanks side by side

Another job was also done by professional.
Removing ignitionswitch holder from a triple tree.

Rear swingarm installation plans by drilling bigger hole to frame was abandoned. Turnery made custom made "blocks"/"barrels" to fit swingarm.
It does to job perfectly and I can use original axle.

Finally we got to do weldings...

Rear end of the frame was cut out...

Once I thought that I should change my plans and build brat-style bike...

...but when the rear loop was welded, I think it is really nice! We also fabricated sides from sheet metal to finish the look.

"Triangle" on sides are way too big for my taste... we cut one tube of the frame and made the "triangle" smaller. I have seen lots of these kind of modifications in States.

Frontstopper, so bar end will not hit the tank

For the tank we use original places, so i can fit ignition coils to their original place.

Tanks front end brackets. Rubber padding will be fitted to end, so it will suppress vibration.

Rear end was done like this. Tanks original brackets will fit to these straight. Rubber padding will be fitted to these also.

I bought very cheap ultrasonic cleanermachine. Suprise, it worked pretty well...

Dirty carb...

...after ultrasonic cleaning. Rebuilded with new parts.  :D

Overall look at this point is almost same as earlier, but lots of things have been done.

Next thing to do is to fit rear suspension and it will be tricky...

All the parts are almost here. Few electronic components and small parts are still coming.

Please feel free to comment, give me some advice or just say hello, like Adele  ;D