www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 75 CB360 - bad omen "yatagarasu" build  (Read 40923 times)

Offline MiniatureNinja

Re: 75 CB360 - bad omen "yatagarasu" build
« Reply #130 on: Mar 23, 2018, 23:35:31 »
I have been getting jerked around by the guy who promised me he could powdercoat my stuff. it's VERY hard to find powdercoating in CA, let alone Northern California. No one does it (regulations?)

so I painted my swing arm and engine mounts to see if I like it.
satin black VHT frame/chassis paint. turns out durable and nice - just not sure if I like the satin or if I want to go gloss.

'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #131 on: Mar 24, 2018, 00:10:03 »
+++  PJ is correct there.  Have a look at Tony Foale's book for a little more insight into frame brackets and gussets. 

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #132 on: Mar 24, 2018, 02:29:01 »
The welds themselves don't look too hot for a 'professional' welder.
 I've seen better from people with zero welding experience after a 3 hr course (yea, I was certified MIG at one time, many  many years ago)

that's because I welded them, after about 100 hours of watching how-to videos and about 5 hours of practice on scrap metal.

again, I was told it was not perfect or "ideal" but will indeed work and at least the match the bublegum looking welds honda did on the rest of the frame
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2018, 02:33:17 by MiniatureNinja »
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #133 on: Mar 24, 2018, 11:17:02 »
In that case, welds are pretty good as it takes practice to make them pretty as well as strong.
Probably turn up amps slightly and turn down wire feed so you can burn in 'pretty welds' (you can work slower, I still remember the first time I used MIG, set up for 3/16" plate, I tried using on 1/16" sheet  ;D )
I thought you were paying buggy makers to weld it. :-[
Ca. is a bit OTT with some hobby stuff, seems they only want 'professionals' with crazy amounts of extractors, scrubbers, etc to do 'anything' ($30,000 paint booth, etc)
I guess the DIY powder coating stuff from Harbor Freight isn't even available there?
There shouldn't be any volatile compounds with powder coat, unless you overheat parts as it's basically a thermosetting plastic 'covering' and the powder should be pretty inert? (although I'm sure someone can 'educate' me on the finer points?)
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2018, 11:20:04 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #134 on: Mar 24, 2018, 12:37:25 »
If you can find SprayMax 2K aerosol paint in your part of the world then it's a great option too.  Very durable indeed.  Pretty sure it comes in gloss, satin and matte - the can has a button on the bottom which when pushed activates a hardener inside.  You then have about 12 hours before the paint goes off in the can, so line up everything you need to paint as it doesn't last inside the can unlike a normal aerosol.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #135 on: Mar 24, 2018, 12:50:58 »
In that case, welds are pretty good as it takes practice to make them pretty as well as strong.
Probably turn up amps slightly and turn down wire feed so you can burn in 'pretty welds' (you can work slower, I still remember the first time I used MIG, set up for 3/16" plate, I tried using on 1/16" sheet  ;D )
I thought you were paying buggy makers to weld it. :-[
Ca. is a bit OTT with some hobby stuff, seems they only want 'professionals' with crazy amounts of extractors, scrubbers, etc to do 'anything' ($30,000 paint booth, etc)
I guess the DIY powder coating stuff from Harbor Freight isn't even available there?
There shouldn't be any volatile compounds with powder coat, unless you overheat parts as it's basically a thermosetting plastic 'covering' and the powder should be pretty inert? (although I'm sure someone can 'educate' me on the finer points?)

I was so worried about burning through the thinner frame that I didn't want to move too slow. it's a fine line. I certainly could have turned down the wire speed - and more practice is needed to get to know the machine and settings (it's a 230v 50a Lincoln and using 100%co2 and .030" wire)

Unfortunately I don't have the space or heat to do my own powdercoating

But... i can buy spraymax 2k paints on Amazon and I plan to use that for the tank and seat cowl.

I second guessed myself AGAIN and went over the semi gloss with gloss... and it turned out OK but not perfect. That's one area I know I can do better in and so I'll have to redo it next week when the weather is warmer (snowing here in NorCal again)
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline jeff4uk

• 71 triumph T100c
« Reply #136 on: Mar 24, 2018, 17:52:27 »
Nice job there mate, Iím doing a 360 at the moment but havenít put it on here yet as time is short ,great job on the hoop B.T. W

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #137 on: Mar 24, 2018, 18:36:40 »
Semi-gloss is different, I used it on the T305 as it looked better than full gloss (plus it's easier  to 'touch up' when needed  ;D )
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #138 on: Mar 25, 2018, 00:18:53 »

finally got the gold chain in. hard to tell under all the grease and wrapping but yea it's gold this time.
now I think I should have ordered a gear directly from RebelGears.com so I could get one in black.

so I may do that with a 33t 520 gear
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #139 on: Mar 25, 2018, 18:33:03 »
OK take two here

I don't like admitting mistakes but it's important to take other's advice. I asked for it earlier but got no input until after I posted what I did, which is frustrating but hey... it's just metal. I have an angle grinder and cutoff wheels.

After looking at some other ideas and input from P.j. I've mocked up the following in fusion:

any input this time? I plan to do this on Wednesday!

I have These Shock Mounts from DCC and I really want to use them. I don't have to... but the design above allows them to be used and it's what I planned to use all along
« Last Edit: Mar 25, 2018, 18:35:19 by MiniatureNinja »
'75 Honda CB360 - thread