www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 75 CB360 - bad omen "yatagarasu" build  (Read 24100 times)

Offline MiniatureNinja

Re: 75 CB360 - bad omen "yatagarasu" build
« Reply #260 on: May 13, 2018, 18:07:20 »
Use modeling clay or Play Doh to check clearance. Michaels, ToysRUs, etc With pistons, the extra mass around gudgeon pins expands more than thinner sections which is another reason 'sides' are reduced diameter. If your pistons are sticking out 0.010", you use a 0.050" head hasket or next thicker one. You want around 0.035"~0.040" piston to head clearance

i'm having a hard time getting a good pic of the porting work. It's not stellar, it's not much - I didn't want to overdo it and run into lost power I have seen that on CB360 threads where a guy ported his head out and lost horsepower then argued that he needed better jetting on the carbs. LOL so all I did was smooth the transition area around the seats to get rid of any drastic surface changes, I then used a marker to indicated where on the intakes they matched up to the boots and opened it up so it's a perfect match now (and marked each boot left and right) on the exhaust side I used the old gaskets still in the head to mark the top portion for opening up to that diameter, d-shaped the ports, raising the roof a little where the valve guide bosses are and made the transition really smooth by shaving the sides of the boss near the tip of the guide so it's more triangular.

against all advice I used my dremel tool with a pen extension and carbide bits for this work - it actually went very well I took my time and had all the work done in less than 2 hours. the dremel worked very fast, and I am sure if I was using a 1/4" die grinder I would have destroyed the head in about 42 seconds. the bit also left a finish that is near identical to the factory cast finish inside the ports and I'm happy with that, as it will mean I didn't do anything too crazy changing intake velocity (I'm sure it's not as critical on the exhaust side) the lines inside the intake ports from casting were barely noticable, I took some time making sure that any protrusions were knocked back to the median surface area.

I guess I should assembly the valve train with springs then?

pistons are absolute level with top of deck with the .050" base gasket, so I have a .042" gasket. I wanted to get closer to the min spec but played it safe.

oh and eye candy since it's been a few pages since any good progress was made
thanks PJ!

got front end on so I could measure and make cables for remote master cylinder

I wish I didn't need a headlight
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 18:50:27 by MiniatureNinja »
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #261 on: May 13, 2018, 21:14:32 »
Don't try and fit carbs with filters fitted, you need to be able to pull them in until they 'clunk' into place.I don't remember the overflow tube being bent when I shipped the carbs?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 21:17:52 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #262 on: May 13, 2018, 23:32:32 »
Don't try and fit carbs with filters fitted, you need to be able to pull them in until they 'clunk' into place.I don't remember the overflow tube being bent when I shipped the carbs?

oh i'm still a little ways off before I fit the carbs - just put everything together to look.
I think I mentioned the bent tube in PMs - it was done in shipping, pretty obvious in the packaging where it happened it just poked through all padding and bent, not big deal it isn't kinked and I already bought a replacement bowl - I'm not using it, because these polished ones are too pretty
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline crazypj

« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2018, 11:53:31 »
That must have had one hell of a hit, I pack them pretty good. It's the first one I've ever had damaged in shipping.I doubt it's worth the shipping to send it for polishing, probably get it done cheaper local?
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:43 »
That must have had one hell of a hit, I pack them pretty good. It's the first one I've ever had damaged in shipping.I doubt it's worth the shipping to send it for polishing, probably get it done cheaper local?
I can do it myself I just have a lot of work left on the bike and very little time to do it, I want to ride it to the bike show on the 29th!

I did my side covers....
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline crazypj

« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2018, 12:15:48 »
I know it's a lot of work to get them that good, looks like you didn't have any major damage from brake pedal chewing on it Should be fine for 29th but no matter how far you get you'll still be 'tinkering' the night before and probably 'on the day'
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 12:18:59 by crazypj »
Brian Morgan, 1982

Offline MiniatureNinja

« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2018, 12:18:40 »
I know it's a lot of work to get them that good, looks like you didn't have any major damage from brake pedal chewing on it?

there was a pretty good scratch, it's hard to see in original because the oxidation anyway, but it required a sander, lots of hand sanding to get it flat. I also smoothed the flashing marks and sharp edges where the oil dipstick go, and on the sprocket cover just trimmed a lot of excess in the areas where they simply cheap cast it and made it line up more wit the engine case
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2018, 15:07:44 »
I know it's a lot of work to get them that good, looks like you didn't have any major damage from brake pedal chewing on it Should be fine for 29th but no matter how far you get you'll still be 'tinkering' the night before and probably 'on the day'

Sounds like racing.  Always work to be done right up to tech inspection, and sometimes we go through that with the bike complete and then tear it down to work on it after it has the royal seal of approval......  ;-)

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2018, 15:14:26 »
How in the hell did you get your engine covers looking like that?!  Really nice work!
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline crazypj

« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2018, 15:54:47 »
Sounds like racing.  Always work to be done right up to tech inspection, and sometimes we go through that with the bike complete and then tear it down to work on it after it has the royal seal of approval......  ;-)
Yep, been there  ;)   
As for polishing, by hand it's just a loy of 'elbow grease' going through different grades of 'Wetordry' before buffing

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 15:57:13 by crazypj »
Brian Morgan, 1982