www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 75 CB360 - bad omen "yatagarasu" build  (Read 13363 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
Re: 75 CB360 - bad omen "yatagarasu" build
« Reply #280 on: May 16, 2018, 12:28:45 »
My father always told me " add lightness and simplicate'  ;D
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Online MiniatureNinja

« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2018, 14:54:23 »
My father always told me " add lightness and simplicate'  ;D
"Nothing is lighter than a hole" is my favorite thing I've heard.

Also, is it possible to push the cam chain tensioner down through the top of the case without splitting the case or using the "pushbar pulling tool" ?

I added a couple mounts for the aluminum electronics tray, didnt have enough carbon fiber to make a new one so I had to use aluminum.

Those "rails" along the frame will hold the seat in place

I'm getting better at welding
'82 BMW R65LS
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline jpmobius

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • where does this go?
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2018, 20:06:31 »
using Titanium is nuts unless people can see it and admire your excellent tastes and previously deep pockets.

Wisdom!  I've had competitors that needed your consulting services - you can talk them out of the hundreds of dollars of titanium fasteners "aloft" in the rig of their 10,000 lb sailboats so I can find them a more appropriate home on my pick up!

Welds are indeed looking improved!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 20:10:27 by jpmobius »
Mobius

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

1973 RD350 Yamaha build  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66498.0

Online MiniatureNinja

« Reply #283 on: May 16, 2018, 23:40:49 »
If proboltusa.com sold the right length 10mm bolts for my engine mounts I would be using them. Lol.

Valves in! Getting closer. Yes they were leak tested, poured a small amount of acetone in the ports, none leaked out. I thought I would have to lap them, but the machine shop that did the seats did it for me, which I thought was nice of them.

Oh by the way, notice the oil stain lines on the head inside the reservoirs? Bike only had a side stand... haha
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 23:42:20 by MiniatureNinja »
'82 BMW R65LS
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #284 on: May 17, 2018, 11:57:02 »
I thought I would have to lap them, but the machine shop that did the seats did it for me, which I thought was nice of them.

Lapping valves is a lot less common these days. Machining and tooling is more precise than it used to be, so if the valves had to be lapped at all, that would be unusual. Not necessarily bad, but it should raise eyebrows.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Café SOS - Stage One™, Café SOS - Stage Two™
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Online MiniatureNinja

« Reply #285 on: May 17, 2018, 12:22:21 »
Lapping valves is a lot less common these days. Machining and tooling is more precise than it used to be, so if the valves had to be lapped at all, that would be unusual. Not necessarily bad, but it should raise eyebrows.

oh, well that makes sense then. I didn't lap them because I forgot my lapping compount at the shop and engine is at home - I used some prussian blue, they came out perfect, so I did the leak test... they were perfect. I assumed he lapped them but what you said makes more sense
'82 BMW R65LS
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #286 on: May 17, 2018, 17:23:07 »
On most modern engines you can't lap valves as the hardening isn't deep enough and will wear off to softer material underneathe
As for cam chain tensioner, yes, you can use a long bar from top. Make sure to radius end so it fits into cup on bottom. Loosen adjuster with bar in place and see if it moves up any further.
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Online MiniatureNinja

« Reply #287 on: May 19, 2018, 17:58:58 »
Ran into a snag. In my haste and inexperience, I overlooked the fact that I would need the updated top tensioner hold down for the new tensioners. Amazed that NONE of the people that sell this part make it clear that if you are updating this on an old motor you NEED To source the correct holder and probably a rubber bumper too. That item should be here Wednesday and I can get to buttoning up the motor.

Frame fabrication is done, so I painted it satin black with VHT rollbar and chassis paint. I would have loved to get it powdercoated but let's not go there... only one place has a cabinet big enough to sandblast this frame and they want $400 to do the work. no!
'82 BMW R65LS
'75 Honda CB360 - thread