www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1980 CB900F Build  (Read 4201 times)

1980 CB900F Build
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 17:51:47 »
I've had this bike in my shed for 6 years and I didn't even own it when it first got to my place. since then I have moved house 3 times and been very busy between being away with work and being a good husband and father.
A knight in shining armour is a man who has never had his metal truly tested.

Re: 1980 CB900F Build
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2018, 18:12:49 »
It ran! my mate who bought it rode up and down the street but it didn't have front brakes and the rear was not working great either. I do have a short video of that moment (maybe I will upload it to youtube and post a link)
After letting me have a quick turn it was time to start work on it. Because my mate lived in an apartment and my wife is very understanding it was decided it would be built in my garage.
So first thing we did was park it up on the center stand and strip it down.

If you look carefully there is a CD250 in the background that belongs to my brother that I had my first go at tinkering with. Also my other mate used my compressor to spray his tank and it was still hung up.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 18:20:26 »
After taking the rear springs off my mate chucked in a dirt bike shock just to have a look, he wants to modify the swing arm and frame and put in a mono shock set up.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2018, 18:38:37 »
The project paused here. I moved house then my mate and I went away for work, I went home after only a month and he had to stay for another 6 months and because he is a top bloke he said I could have the bike!
When I got home I put the donk in my trailer and took it to get soda blasted. You can see it was painted with a brush and if the duct tape wasn't holding the valve cover on you could see it was not painted down the middle because the brush the PO used wouldn't have reached in that far.
Also the carbies are in need of a clean.

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2018, 19:16:21 »
Next job is to grind off the rear and all the extra tabs from the frame. I got a piece of pipe bent for the hoop and welded it in, also built be a sand blasting booth in the backyard and cleaned up everything ready for paint.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2018, 19:22:34 »
I got the foot peg brackets powder coated as well as the rear brake support and the shift lever and brake lever re-chromed.
Also bought a new bit of rubber for the shift lever.

Offline The Limey

• Evil English Villain
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2018, 19:29:30 »
I'm on board.
I was born a rocker.  I'll die a rocker.  And I'm proud of it.

« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2018, 19:32:41 »
The engine after soda blasting was great! it did however reveal that the bike had an accident at some point in its mysterious life because there was a crack that had been metal puttied up on the bottom of the front left engine cover. (not pictured)
I painted the motor except for the parts that I would be polishing.

« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2018, 19:43:20 »
Forgot to mention that I welded in a bit of flat steel for seat mounting.
Paint was done using POR15 in UV stable black.

« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2018, 20:01:38 »
I got new tyres, shocks, headlight, front indicators, fork seals, clip-ons and somewhat reassembled the bike. I built a seat pan out of a street sign and duct taped some foam to it. I also welded on a tab to the rear hoop to mount the number plate
I then built a box for the battery to live in and promptly chucked my cheap stick welder in the bin as I'd had enough of shitty looking welds.
My lovely wife decided I needed a good mig welder for my birthday.

Bike is starting to look pretty damn good here if you ask me.