www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: CB550 Bobber-Junkyard Dog  (Read 14155 times)

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
Re: CB550 Bobber
« Reply #30 on: Feb 02, 2018, 22:17:36 »
Those are both 1" bars.  Do they make them in 7/8", too?

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #31 on: Feb 02, 2018, 22:32:12 »
Those are both 1" bars.  Do they make them in 7/8", too?

Fair point. Not sure.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #32 on: Feb 02, 2018, 22:39:46 »
Fair point. Not sure.

TC Bros, Lowbrow, Biltwell, all make lots of nice 7/8 bars 8" mini-apes, etc..   Seems like bars are one of the biggest sellers out there.

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2018, 21:55:57 »
Not a whole lot more work going on yet. Work has been keeping me pretty busy. I did knock together a simple battery box today. The old timer at work taught me how to use the spot welder to make it. I'll take a little more work to fit on the frame. Working on buying a few things soon.

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #34 on: Feb 17, 2018, 20:35:43 »
I had high hopes for getting out to the garage and getting stuff done this weekend but I've come down with some manner of sinus infection. I guess I'll sit inside and wait for death.

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #35 on: Feb 26, 2018, 21:22:47 »
It's slower going than I wanted but I swear I'm still working at it. I picked up this tank today for cheap. Not sure if it's exactly what I want but it may be what I use for now. The red paint is just what was on it, it's not staying of course. One day this week basic wiring is going to get started.

Offline john83

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: Mar 03, 2018, 18:12:26 »
Been working on some wiring. I took the bike over to work so my more electrically minded co-worker could help me. I get much more accomplished when I have someone to work with and bounce ideas off of. I gave Matt an idea of what I wanted the electrical system to be and he came back the next day with a real diagram print. So, we got some a decent start and even some old aircraft switches to use.

Offline paulcl450

« Reply #37 on: Mar 05, 2018, 14:05:12 »
I'm the one that originally built that bike. So if you have any questions about any of it hit me up. I originally built it with 2 gas tanks one mounted up top traditionally (which I still have on a shelf in the shop painted to match with the same number 5 on the side) and the other under the seat. I was going to race it cross country in the Stampede. I also had a jockey shift on it with a foot clutch, but the guy that bought it from me wanted it converted back to a traditional hand clutch foot shifter. The rear fender is a modified cb750 fender and if I remember correctly the front end came off a cm400, but I could be wrong as I usually have about 6 or 7 honda front ends floating around at any given time. The vacuum pump came of a stash of several I had on hand that were used for racing go carts. It took me a lot of trial and error to figure out that I needed to put a regulator on the thing to keep it from over filling the float bowls. Turns out the magic number is between 2 and 3 lbs of pressure, but I was always adjusting that. I covered that seat with leather off an old pair of riding chaps a friend gave me. If you take the leather off it has a sparkly vynl seat under there.  I actually still have some of the paint I used to paint it left over if you want to touch it up. Looks like they scarred it up pretty good taking the motor out.  I also have about 200 pictures of the build if you are interested in seeing its progress when I first decided to build it. I currently live in Lexington SC and I sold it to a young kid that lives in Columbia. If you happen to live close by hit me up. I always have at least 2 builds going on in my back yard at any given time. Currently its a honda cl450, and a 1965 Bridgestone on the bike lifts.

Offline paulcl450

« Reply #38 on: Mar 05, 2018, 14:07:57 »
Here is a pic of the upper tank.

Offline paulcl450

« Reply #39 on: Mar 05, 2018, 14:11:27 »
I originally had the battery covered with a leather bag. Looked good and was super easy to do. This picture was taken at a night club in Charlotte called The Chop Shop. I had a couple of bikes on display there while I was working on other things.