www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: I stepped in it - XS750/896 build  (Read 1694 times)

Offline Frenchtom

Re: I stepped in it - XS750/896 build
« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2018, 08:32:35 »
Dang!  Ok, I'll probably keep the Mikunis and get what I can out of them. 
Tom
1963 Honda Sport Cub
1977 Yamaha XS896

Billet: about as creative as duct tape

Offline datadavid

« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2018, 11:56:56 »
Hi Tom
Nanno (If you search you will find his blog on this site) used 3 x Mikuni TM carbies to work on his XS750 sidecar. I think they were 36mm, but it was a lot of work, a real lot of work!! You have to figure out how you are going to get 3 carbie cables going into 1 throttle cable. And then you have the issue of 3 individual chokes - how do you activate them. You can only reach 1 of the 3 choke plungers. It has been done but Nanno has put his TM carbies on the market and is now using others that are more simple.
If you get a set from a Triumph 900 triple they basically fit straight in.

The Cruising Image pistons are meant to be made in Japan not China, but who really knows, they are what they are. As long as you have them and give them to the shop that will bore the cylinders on a proper rigid set up there will be no problems.
My machinist was pretty certain they (cruzin pistons)were not chinese. He would not have touched them if he thought so.
Some guys are picky..

Offline Frenchtom

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 20:58:47 »
Ok, i swear i am going to do somehing on this bike this weekend
1963 Honda Sport Cub
1977 Yamaha XS896

Billet: about as creative as duct tape

Offline der_nanno

• Faster!
    • Greasy Greg
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2018, 03:37:31 »
Hi Frenchtom,

Nanno here... Honestly: Don't do it with the individual VM/TM carbs. They work a treat, but sync'ing is a nightmare. Also I went with 36mm carbs and they were too big. I am currently running a heavily modified set of flatslides out of a snowmobile, but even then, simply getting Triumph-carbs is a way simpler method of doing things AND a whole lot cheaper. (See the link to my sidecar-thread or maybe on my blog, if I forgot to post on here with regards to how much work the flatslide carbs took to get going...)

That being said: Cruzin-Image is Taiwanese and as they seem to come from one of the big automotive engineering companies, they only contain a very small portion of recycled soda can's and what else was lying in front of the factory. Haven't used them on the XS-Triple, but on a Zed recently and yes, they are fine indeed. Tell you machinist to clearance on the tight side of stock pistons and you'll get lots of life out of them.

Maybe rearsets although I do not want to lose kick start capability.  I may need it with the high compression 896 kit, the starter may not do the job.

Take the starter apart and clean it from all the graphite dust on the inside. Plus add a NEW ground and live wire (get the cables made at a welding shop and tell them to solder and shrink wrap the ends as per specification for welders in humid climate, IIRC IP54 that is in American nomenclature) and you should have no problem whatsoever to start the bike. If needs must, the Honda CB900/1100 Bol d'Or run a 1.1kW starter, but if you add hotter cams anyway that will take away quite a bit of the dynamic compression and the engine will spin over just fine.
Real freedom starts with the freedom of thought.

My Blog:
http://greasygreg.blogspot.co.at

My Mule TR1.1 build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75458.0

My Turbo TR1.1 (XV1000) build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=72571

My XS Triple Sidecar build here on DTT:
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74211