www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.  (Read 17115 times)

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2018, 13:27:25 »
Tell me i at least made you go and look again  its probably ground up to a fine powder or pressed into a gear cog by now anyway!

You definitely got me thinking about it!  I've already replaced all the gaskets etc and just couldn't bring myself to tear into them again so I'm just going to pretend you didn't say anything and convince myself that it was, indeed, a trick of the light.

It's only half-working.

Damn you.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018, 13:48:23 by The Jimbonaut »
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #21 on: Jan 29, 2018, 13:31:23 »
Signing up. I'll let you know when I get your gasket kit out of Maine for you!

Legend.  Cheers Mike  8)

I was going to try dremel-ing out the stock head gasket I have to enlarge it to the new bore size, but figured that plan was ripe with disaster.  We're talking 1mm off the entire circumference and for the dough I've shelled out on the piston and cylinder bore then a couple of bucks on the proper fitting gasket just made sense.  I'll try and bodge another job on the list, but this one felt like getting it done right.

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2018, 14:55:02 »
Consider this -

A society's intelligence and level of advancement can be measured by how much of its star's energy it stores and uses.  To whit, the Kardashev Scale was developed to determine this measurement as follows -

Type One - A civilization that harnesses and uses all of the energy that falls on its planet from its solar system's star
Type Two - A civilization that harnesses and uses all of the energy that radiates from its solar system's star
Type Three - A civilization that harnesses and uses all of the energy created by its fucking galaxy

Earth, and us rabble on it, store and use about 1% of the sunlight that lands on our planet.  So we're a long, long way off becoming a Type One civilization.  And that kind of explains a lot.  Interstellar space travel is still a pipe dream for us, and we still can't figure out how to fix pot holes once and for all.  Space faring civilizations would need some serious rpm's to break free of the fossil-fuel confines that us humans find ourselves shackled by, and getting a load more wattage out of the parent star would go some way towards explaining how they tame the mysteries of serious interstellar road trips.   

So anyway, a bunch of astronomers were doing their thing, looking up into the sky with their telescopes when they found something pretty fucked up.  Apparently the way they look for solar systems with potentially habitable planets is by studying the light emitted from the system's parent star and looking for dips in the light emitted from the star - caused by a planet orbiting in front of it.  These solar systems are literally thousands and thousands of light years away - they can't "see" the stars or planets but they can figure out a lot of shit about them by looking at the telemetry from these observations.  Dip in light, good indicator of a planet orbiting the star.

These dips in light can be studied remarkably accurately, so I'm told.  Importantly, they can also be used to ascertain the shape of the object moving in front of the star as well.  A regular, spherical-shaped object (like a planet for example) leaves a very smooth signature in the telemetry.

So, back to the astronomers.  They were looking at this one particular star, called KIC 8462852, and discovered that whilst the light emitted from the star was indeed dipping (indicating something moving in front of it), these dips were highly irregular in both shape and spacing.  Planets were ruled out, as were comets and dust clouds - something weird was moving in front of the star, but they were hesitant to say what.

And then someone had a proposition - the astronomers had found the first recorded evidence of a Type Two civilization (a civilization that harnesses and uses all of the energy that radiates from its solar system's star), in the form of a Dyson Sphere.  A Dyson Sphere is a shell or matrix constructed to enclose a star and farm all of the light emitted from it.  The constructs are unfathomably huge, and constructed - hypothetically - by self-replicating robots using materials mined from nearby planets.  To give an idea of scale, the smallest of the "panels" used in the sphere's construction would have an edge length one hundred times the distance between the earth and the moon, or 38 million kilometres.  Not insignificant.

Therefore, if the Dyson Sphere was still under construction there would be many irregular gaps as it rotated around the star, and the telemetry we receive here on Planet Earth would translate this as irregular dips in the light emitted from the star.

It's enough to get you thinking on a Monday morning.

Anyway, I'm going to start a Dyson Sphere build thread after this.  Fuck it.
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2018, 15:20:11 by The Jimbonaut »

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2018, 16:32:56 »
Very cool!
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2018, 10:46:49 »
Mucking about on photoshop last night trying to come up with a colour scheme -

Thinking a satin black frame with a satin silver swingarm (black in the photo above).  Need to find some OEM green side covers but they're totally unobtanium so may have to go the vinyl wrap route on them instead.  Brushed steel tank with a 2K clear, and some brushed stainless steel panels and trim that I'll - ahem - "fabricate".  I have to use that word reservedly - most of you guys are fabricating triple trees and entire bike frames.  I'm the Great Pretender.

A big job on this rebuild is going to be restoring the plastics.  They're mostly very faded, but in the areas where the elements haven't got to them (under the headlight fairing for example) the colour looks so good that I really want to get my green on.  Watched a few vids and seems the best (if most time consuming) method is with various grades of sandpaper and soapy water.

It'll need new fork boots and a few other odds and sodds, but Version One is in the bag.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2018, 10:52:41 by The Jimbonaut »

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:08:59 »
Needs more PURPLE!  ;)
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0 - Sold
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0 - Sold
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0
'97 BMW F650st - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75732.0

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #26 on: Jan 30, 2018, 11:26:45 »
Needs more PURPLE!  ;)

Sounds like something my ex-girlfriend would say!  She'd paint the world purple given a paintbrush and half a chance.
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2018, 11:41:38 by The Jimbonaut »

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #27 on: Jan 30, 2018, 16:38:13 »
Nice pics on the doohicky mod.  I don't have a KLR but I've heard of the fix.  I want one.  You were right about the C model.   It looks more sleek than most.  Pretty cool.
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 65 Norton, my never finished shovelhead chopper, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #28 on: Jan 30, 2018, 23:37:33 »
Dropped off the frame etc and totally changed my mind at the last minute. Satin silver, not satin black. Weíll see how that works out.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Online The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2018, 00:05:15 »
Nice pics on the doohicky mod.  I don't have a KLR but I've heard of the fix.  I want one.  You were right about the C model.   It looks more sleek than most.  Pretty cool.

Make it happen mate, these bikes are brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON