www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE SITE? TROUBLE REGISTERING? ADMIN@DOTHETON.COM

Author Topic: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.  (Read 9714 times)

Offline CrabsAndCylinders

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Careful With That Axe Eugene
Re: KLR You Experienced? Err, kinda not really.
« Reply #40 on: Feb 01, 2018, 17:28:22 »
Really enjoy your sense of humour as well as your builds :)
Lighter, Quicker, Faster.
ZX-14, 900F x 2, 1100F, R100, CBR600, SR500, GT500, RZ350, KZ1000 x 2, Moto Guzzi Lemans lll, CBX550, RD 350, 750 SOHC police special, RG250, TL1000R, GT750, KTM Super Duke 1290 R, Harris/Z-1, Norton 750 Commando, Green 77 KZ650

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2018, 20:47:46 »
You gonna make it Jimbo? :o

Oh I'll be fine.  Hallucinating a little, but the sordid collection of little sparkly winged objects will rue the fucking day as soon as they stop flying around in my field of vision long enough for me to swat them.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #42 on: Feb 01, 2018, 21:02:20 »
So the bung was a complete and utter fail, as was the large majority of the MEK episode.  I'd like to think I learnt something from the woeful experience but pretty sure if the stuff ever darkens my door again things will go just as sideways.

Moving on.  Next step in the tank cleanup means getting the rust out.  Reeled out a few yards of chain into the tank to knock off as much of the large stuff as possible.  Then it was time for the big guns.  Frank from American Pickers, take a bow -

Armed with his cheery good temperament I dumped two jugs of his finest into the tank, but not before addressing the bung situation.  Petcock has two bolt holes and one long pill-shaped hole in the tank.  So I chopped up some steel, beaded out some gasket sealer and voila -

Sealed.  Metal Rescue doing its thing in the tank, and I'm having a beer.

« Last Edit: Feb 01, 2018, 21:07:45 by The Jimbonaut »

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #43 on: Feb 03, 2018, 21:40:03 »
Tank cleaned up great.  That Metal Rescue has one job to do and it does it with aplomb.  Gave the thing a rinse out, got the wife's blow drier in there and once the inside was hot and dry as Gandhi's flip flop I swilled some WD 40 around.  Job's a good'un.

Now the fun part.  Goodbye purple...

and hello brushed steel -

Trying to work with the lines of the fairing so it's slow going on the sanding, but liking how it's starting out. 

Online Hurco550

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Keep er' Between the ditches
« Reply #44 on: Feb 03, 2018, 22:15:27 »
Tank cleaned up great.  That Metal Rescue has one job to do and it does it with aplomb.  Gave the thing a rinse out, got the wife's blow drier in there and once the inside was hot and dry as Gandhi's flip flop I swilled some WD 40 around.  Job's a good'un.

Now the fun part.  Goodbye purple...

and hello brushed steel -

Trying to work with the lines of the fairing so it's slow going on the sanding, but liking how it's starting out.
Keep it bare metal to match your 7fifdy;)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

"If you just picked up a drug habbit instead of a kawasaki triple at least you could get high while you waste money"
~ bradj

2006 Suzuki DR650 Adventure monowheel trailer build: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75033.0
1976 BMW R90/6 farkilitious: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=74349.msg882477#msg882477
1975 RD350 Road Racer: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70652.msg833688#msg833688
1973 Ironhead Hardtail: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68135.msg788081#msg788081
1976 GT250 Rebuild: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=64973.new#new
Full Custom Pit Bike: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=66954.new#new
1971 Yamaha 90cc twin HS1: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70498.0
"much ingenuity with a little money is more profitable and amusing than much money without ingenuity" - Arnold Bennett

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #45 on: Feb 03, 2018, 22:32:54 »
That's the plan mate - I'll hit this with gloss 2K instead of satin this time.  Also going to be making some stainless steel panels for the side fairings and fenders, and going to attempt restoring all the plastics too.  It's an inhuman ball-ache so I'm told - a lot of time and a lot of sanding - but this green is too good to pass up.

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #46 on: Feb 03, 2018, 22:34:39 »
Maybe something like this -

Offline datadavid

« Reply #47 on: Feb 04, 2018, 08:13:13 »
I like that!

Offline Tim

• Administrator
  • DTT SUPPORTER
    • DO THE TON
« Reply #48 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:12:37 »
I like the silver tank - either painted or brushed/clear coated.

But I'd skip the stainless steel panels on the plastic.  First, I like them plain green without decals.  You can always get vinyl cut if you want to add accents to them.

The thought of stainless steel razor-thin sheets of stainless steel in my way as I get dumped off the bike isn't appealing.
"Quality . . . you know what it is, yet you don't know what it is. But that's self-contradictory. But some things are better than others, that is, they have more quality. But when you try to say what the quality is, apart from the things that have it, it all goes poof! There's nothing to talk about. But if you can't say what Quality is, how do you know what it is, or how do you know that it even exists? If no one knows what it is, then for all practical purposes it doesn't exist at all. But for all practical purposes it really does exist."

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #49 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:31:47 »
You're not wrong Tim, that's a frightening thought.  I've got a few ideas on how I can try to flush the panels with the fairings but I've never tried metal-shaping before.  The panels would need to be contoured perfectly - then I'd run a bead of silicon around the edges and bolt them down.  Idea being the silicon would form something of a buffer all around the edges of the panels.  Kinda hard to explain but it works in my head.  Mind you, so does quantum theory - but I'm blagging that as well.

The vinyl is a good idea - I've looked for some "brushed steel" vinyl and 3M make a decent wrap.  Think I can get die cut vinyl panels made?  Something to look into.