www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)  (Read 20924 times)

Offline JadusMotorcycleParts

• DTT SUPPORTER
    • Jadus Motorcycle Parts
Re: Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)
« Reply #160 on: Mar 11, 2019, 14:29:11 »
Shaping up really nicely man!  I am torn with the muffler.  One thing for sure will be an issue is ground clearance, as doc already mentioned, but if it swept up slightly this would eliminate than.  Then the other thing is the style.  You are blending (very well might I add) old with new, so it just depends how much of each you want to through in the mix.  This can looks unmistakably modern - suits the engine and front end well.  However the frame, seat and tank lone themselves more to the classic style and a reverse mega would look best here...  Perhaps one of those nice SS ones from Purpose Build Moto or Cone Engineering or even an M4 reverse mega  8)

Offline goodoltup

• Personal and Work Website
« Reply #161 on: Mar 12, 2019, 06:24:45 »
I agree with everyone's comments about the muffler. I only intended to use the stock muffler to get the bike to the next stage, which is a runner. I see it going like this,
  • Install radiator, fan, hoses, etc.
  • Install exhaust and bracket
  • Hook up fuel pump to remote tank
  • Hook up harness
  • RUNNER
  • Prove the harness, verify function of all switches, lights, etc.
  • Cut and shut the harness to make it fit to the frame
  • ...on to the rest.

To that end, I want to use the exhaust just to get to the Runner stage, and replace it before road trials. I was thinking like the below.

Online Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #162 on: Mar 12, 2019, 08:35:26 »
Those are the money.  Suit much better once it's running.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline DuckStew

« Reply #163 on: Mar 21, 2019, 11:09:16 »
Just read the whole thread.  Personally, I wasn't quite into it until the photo where you roll it outside for the first time. 

;D It's brilliant.  ;D  I'm floored with how well you've mated the old with the new. 

I'll be keeping an eye on this for certain.  Great work so far!  8)

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #164 on: Apr 21, 2019, 17:47:35 »
So it's been over 30 days since I posted last, but I have been working. A lot of the stuff I have been doing hasn't resulted in good post material, so I saved up some. This weekend I completed the radiator mounting, which is a big step on the way to making it run.
Below is the top radiator mount, assembled but unwelded. I think there are some pictures of this from earlier in the thread when I first made it.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #165 on: Apr 21, 2019, 17:53:31 »
Here the mount is welded together, and then welded to the frame. In the second pic it looks crooked, but it's within 0.15 degree of the frame reference.
May as well discuss some problems I'm having with welding. Sometimes I weld and it comes out okay, just looks like it was welded by someone who needs more control and practice, fair enough. And then sometimes I'll be in a weld and it will start to sputter, and then the weld will become kind of foamy, with air bubbles and pockets. When this happens, no amount of going over it will fix it. In fact, usually what I will do it grind it out, clean the electrode, start a new filler rod, sand the weld area, clean with brake clean, and clean the ground, and reweld. Usually it will still foam up! Once it starts I can't stop it. But same conditions, like the radiator top mount, the right side went great, the left side sucked. It took a lot of work to correct. I am open to suggestions.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #166 on: Apr 21, 2019, 17:55:40 »
Radiator mounted.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #167 on: Apr 21, 2019, 17:59:59 »
Rolled it outside for some better pictures. Here the radiator hoses are in place. I got some straight 25mm ID hose for the bottom, and a 90 degree bend for the top.
Seeing the pictures like this make me feel like the swingarm should be shorter.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #168 on: Apr 21, 2019, 18:10:35 »
Here is other side in the sun, showing the radiator hoses. Also some other bits that I didn't post about, like the chain, injector, throttle cables, etc. The chain guards (front and rear) are just propped on for the moment, as indication.
The centre stand was interfering with the chain so that got modified, will show that later.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #169 on: Apr 21, 2019, 18:13:08 »
Next; finish up and fill with coolant, mount the temporary exhaust, fill with oil, install clutch slave and master, buy a remote fuel tank, install the harness, and try to make it run!