www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1981 GS750E (GSX750E) Rat Cafe Racer  (Read 4426 times)

Offline LKS

Re: 1981 GS750E (GSX750E) Rat Cafe Racer
« Reply #50 on: Sep 19, 2018, 14:15:05 »
I posted the wiring diagram in the electrical section at gsresources.com and got some pointers and ideas. This is the final rendition of the diagram. The wires are not to scale, either by length or thickness, but the diagram shows how things will be connected to eachother. The turn light switch is a returning two way switch, the others are push buttons.

Noisemaker_koblingsskjema by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Offline DanielK

« Reply #51 on: Sep 19, 2018, 17:16:24 »
What software did you use to make the wiring diagram?

Sent from my iPhone with Tapatalk
--Daniel
CB650 -80

Offline LKS

« Reply #52 on: Sep 20, 2018, 08:33:42 »
I only used windows paint. As long as you have basic line tool, copy/past, text and erazor you're good. If you are used to working with layers you might be better off using Gimp or Photoshop. All the components I copy/pasted from other places or the original wiring diagram for my bike. A tips if you use Paint, which doesn't support multiple windows, or you don't want to struggle with downloading PDF files or others and converting them to the right image file, is to screenshot the webpage or document containing an image of the component you need and open paint 3d (or other program and past it into an empty document. You can then select the area you want and copy/past it into Paint. As long as you don't need high resolution this is the most timeeffective and flexible way to do it IMHO.

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
« Reply #53 on: Sep 20, 2018, 12:11:23 »
I only used windows paint. ....

Man, that's dedication...
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 73 Norton Commando, my 93" shovelhead chop, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline LKS

« Reply #54 on: Oct 06, 2018, 04:46:35 »
Made a small "bending jig" as I wanted to try out some different ideas for the headlight mount. The first version had an extra loop for mounting the mini blinkers. I thought  it looked too cluttered so I removed it.

Mount by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

This is how it turned out with just the loop for the headlight. Not sure if I should powdercoat the clear or black..

Offline LKS

« Reply #55 on: Oct 06, 2018, 06:19:45 »
There is a downside to having the bike 1,5 hours drive away. Sometimes I plan something and impatiently order the parts, and when they arrive it doesn't quite turn out as I wanted.
I was planning to use mini switches like on the image below on both sides so I ordered a set of these:

But with the new Domino throttlecontrol there was very little room left on the clipon:

Bike by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

I have some of these switches laying around, so I'll take som if the plastic I used to prototype the fork triple to make someting similar to the Motogadget switch cluster. Ideally there will be three pushbuttons som I can control the Motoscope mini from the handlebar as well.

Offline LKS

« Reply #56 on: Oct 06, 2018, 06:37:18 »
In my mind there would be room for electronics under the seat, but when the airbox was in place, there wasn't even room for the seat  :P

Filter by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

I've used the original seat "hinge" and turned it upside down like this

Seat by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

I'll have to modify it by grinding off the square bar and weld a new round bar directly on the seat frame to get the seat at the right hight.

Any way, that opens up a new problem; where to put the m-unit and the other electronics. I see there's plenty of room on both sides of the batterytray. I'm thinking of making a new tray with a deviding section in the middle. Then the battery will go to the right and the rest of the elctronics will go on the left side. Has anyone done this before? Please post a link to your build thread, and maybe I'll save som time doing trial and error work ;)

This is how it looks now:

Batterycase by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Battery case by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Battery case by Lars Krogh-Stea, on Flickr

Offline LKS

« Reply #57 on: Oct 06, 2018, 07:40:40 »
I'll also throw in a cuple of picture of how the bike looks now. Putting the headlight, carburettors and airbox on really made it look a lot closer to beeing a rideable bike :) I've decided to powdercoat the rearsets black as I think they stand out too much from the rest of the bike.