www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: CB250 RS - Project "Phoenix"  (Read 7373 times)

Offline paddyshepherd

Re: CB250 RS - Project "Phoenix"
« Reply #80 on: Oct 18, 2018, 09:13:31 »
Picked up the wheels the other day and tyres arrived yesterday as well.

The wheels look absolutely fantastic. I have now decided that for now, I'll run them tubed. Purely because I started to clean them for applying tape, but to remove the 30 odd years of crud from the inside, I'd probably knock myself out with fumes first.

Tyres should be mounted up tomorrow so I can order my shocks Saturday. Then when my new Yoke set arrives I'll finally have a rolling chassis again. About time!

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #81 on: Oct 20, 2018, 11:35:15 »
Well, tyres are on and I think the aspect ratios and widths are bang on.
Unfortunately, the back is still going to foul the back end of the bike with 350mm shocks. So I'm going to have to relocate the battery tray. However, I do now worry that even with the battery tray relocated, my planned bodywork may have to change, as I think this would also foul.

The really annoying thing is, that if the axle was run at the back of it's adjustment slot, it's way clear. It's only when my chain will be new and the wheel will be right forward that it's gonna catch. It's looking like I may have to run a hollow seat unit, which I didn't really want to do.

If you look in this pic, on full compression the tyre would actually go between the top frame rails slightly:

Offline 540Nova

« Reply #82 on: Oct 20, 2018, 12:27:52 »
You could install Progressive travel limiters onto your shocks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Pete12

« Reply #83 on: Oct 21, 2018, 09:53:34 »
Bloody hell, nice wheels Paddy..

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #84 on: Oct 21, 2018, 17:51:06 »
You could install Progressive travel limiters onto your shocks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'll consider that, if I can't make it work otherwise. I'd like to keep the travel as is as it's already just 80mm. Thank you for the suggestion though as they're something I wouldn't have thought of!

Bloody hell, nice wheels Paddy..

Thanks Pete... I do think they look pretty well!

Been doing some design work back and forth with my machinist. This is currently the plan for the new top yoke. The profiled front allows for my speedometer to sit partially recessed into the yoke, meaning it'll look like it's supposed to be there rather than just an afterthought. Should get that the end of this week hopefully and can then build the chassis back up. One of these days the frame will go for paint... but I want to make sure I've got brackets for everything in place and all welding done first. I essentially plan on doing a dry build, then strip it all back down again for paint and finishing.

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #85 on: Oct 21, 2018, 19:05:34 »
Nice looking design
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #86 on: Nov 03, 2018, 18:54:13 »
Finally! Some progress worth sharing.

So!
My billet top yoke arrived yesterday, along with a new bearing kit for the headstock, since the other set had been on and off a few times and the bearings were looking worse for wear. The top yoke looks absolutely beautiful:

So of course today I simply couldn't wait to get it fitted. I started to reassemble the front end and didn't take many pictures. but the end result looks great. I have unfortunately had to drop the forks through the yoke by 20mm - this is because with the shorter stem, I'm actually struggling to hit the lower clamp point of the forks, and half of the bottom yoke wouldn't have been clamping anywhere! I may end up mounting the clipons above the yoke to hide this a bit, but I've never been a fan of the bar-above-yoke look. I also borrowed some shocks from a mate at work, they're cheap crap but they're adjustable length, so perfect for me to use for mocking up. I'll get some more photos tomorrow but in this pic they're actually 370mm long and the top line of the bike looks nice and flat. I did try 350 but it looked too low at the back. I may however shorten the forks and run the 350mm shock to bring the swingarm angle back down. To gain a bit of perspective, I threw the engine cases, barrel and head loosely back together and dropped the engine into the frame.

I'm still not sure on that tank. I no longer think it looks in proportion - but that could be because there's a part of me telling myself the bike is now too high for it's length... might just look worse due to the lack of tail unit, though. I also think the tank looks too low compared to the top yoke now. I feel the yoke should be either flush with, or just below the top of the tank, at the moment it's significantly higher.

However, if there's one thing I do now love about the bike, it's this cockpit:

Offline cb360j

« Reply #87 on: Nov 08, 2018, 15:02:18 »
That's pretty rad! I've drawn up a couple designs of my own. How did you take all of your dimensions for your modeling? Or did you base it slightly off the old top yolk?

Offline paddyshepherd

« Reply #88 on: Nov 08, 2018, 15:55:46 »
That's pretty rad! I've drawn up a couple designs of my own. How did you take all of your dimensions for your modeling? Or did you base it slightly off the old top yolk?

Thanks dude. Unfortunately I can't take credit for the yoke or the design of it. My machinist took all the measurements for it, based on the KTM standard top yoke, crossed with the Honda one. He then produced the model from that. He sent that through to me and I modified it to suit the speedometer. He then finalised it and added some holes for a bracket for the speedometer and machined it from that.

If you're going to measure it all out for modelling, I would check each measurement at least 3 times. Initially start with the fork leg position compared to the stem. Use a standard yoke and measure that, making sure you get the centre of each hole. Then just mould your design around those!  8)

Offline LMCol

« Reply #89 on: Nov 08, 2018, 16:59:26 »
That thing's going to be a ton of fun to ride. I think the tank would look a lot better with an inch or two added to the swinging arm.

I don't suppose your machinist need a new friend does he?