Rattle Can an ENGINE? Kawasaki KZ

VintageMBike

Been Around the Block
On my KZ650, Im keen to rattle can the engine top half (fins and above) gloss black, Duplicolor Ceramic High Heat. I dont want to take the engine out.

What are pros and cons of prepping the surface and painting right over the bolts, surfaces, etc. The green bike is my bike and the white bike is what i INITIALLY wanted to do, but now i dont want anything but the fins and everything above painted black.

Im not using rustoleum, its crap. Only Duplicolor or PJ1 Fast Black

Attachments

• IMG_0954 2.jpg
    IMG_0954 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 310
  • Mvc-025X Engine RH.jpg
    Mvc-025X Engine RH.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 815
Any engine that I have seen painted in place has looked terrible. The overspray and the engine parts that do not receive the paint are pretty much impossible to prevent and they make it look like a hack-jo. If I were you I would just wait until you have the time and need to remove the engine and do it then. Your 650 is a nice looking bike as it is.

CrabsAndCylinders said:
Any engine that I have seen painted in place has looked terrible. The overspray and the engine parts that do not receive the paint are pretty much impossible to prevent and they make it look like a hack-jo. If I were you I would just wait until you have the time and need to remove the engine and do it then. Your 650 is a nice looking bike as it is.

Thanks for your advice. Im going to take your advice and just leave it. What can I use to polish the aluminum that will stay on when the engine gets hot?

VintageMBike said:
Thanks for your advice. Im going to take your advice and just leave it. What can I use to polish the aluminum that will stay on when the engine gets hot?

polishing is not effected by heat.

buy a set of flannelette wheels for a drill and go at it with some mother mag & aluminum polish

VintageMBike said:

Do you mean what can you use to protect the polished parts finish that will not be affected by engine heat?

Agree with other suggestion. Don’t do it with engine in place. The nice thing about the KZ650 is that it’s really not that difficult to remove the head if you just wanted to paint that. I mean, yes you will need to unbolt valve cover, remove exhaust, lose cam chain tensioner, remove upper middle cam sprocket, cam caps, remove cams, secure cam chain from falling it, remove stud bolts, pull off head, clean, paint, then reinstall to torque settings and align timing cams... Soooo it’s a few more steps that I remember but isn’t that difficult overall. Just eats up time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to skip painting it, and instead use elbow grease to clean off the oxidation. So far so good:

Attachments

• IMG_2063.jpg
    IMG_2063.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 281
old thread, new post -

There's a product called ACF50 (Anti Corrosion Formula), originally developed for aircraft (by Lear, maybe?). Amazon has it. It's a clear, penetrating spray, hi-temp/ low-temp resistant. Clean your motor, as you've done, spray it on, done. Has become very popular with guys in Britain who ride in the rain & slop a lot. I know a guy in Western New York who swears by it for his snowplows, as anti-salt protection. Most guys get a year or 2 with it before re-application, depending upon what conditions you ride in.

Some guys also just spray WD-40 on their engine after a good clean, too, that's an option....

hidn45 said:
old thread, new post -

There's a product called ACF50 (Anti Corrosion Formula), originally developed for aircraft (by Lear, maybe?). Amazon has it. It's a clear, penetrating spray, hi-temp/ low-temp resistant. Clean your motor, as you've done, spray it on, done. Has become very popular with guys in Britain who ride in the rain & slop a lot. I know a guy in Western New York who swears by it for his snowplows, as anti-salt protection. Most guys get a year or 2 with it before re-application, depending upon what conditions you ride in.

Some guys also just spray WD-40 on their engine after a good clean, too, that's an option....
Oil leaks seems like less work

Back
Top Bottom