www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Doing Research For Tracker Build Using Kawi Ninja 650 (Probably)  (Read 3385 times)

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
I thought the same when I first saw it but apparently it does the opposite and pushes front wheel down
 I don't remember the article but it went into great depth with charts, graphs and math I couldn't understand.
May have been Cycle World, they did all sorts of interesting stuff back then including stripping engines to see what was inside (plus looking for wear/damage after a month or two of severe abuse they called 'normal riding  ;D )
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oh the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
I have access to a ton of periodicals and did a search of the cycle world archives and didn't see any articles on that. Very few articles on the kz750 at all. I'm curious to read this article, any other suggestions where to look?

One thing I did learn is that the engine spins backwards because they used a hy-vo chain to connect the crank to the input shaft instead of the typical gears so this required the engine to spin in reverse to make the bike go forward. The article I found hints that they used a chain here because they needed clearance for the balancer assembly but doesn't go into detail.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2018, 22:03:05 by doc_rot »

Offline crazypj

Sorry, I can barely remember what I did this morning let alone 40+yrs ago. I thought maybe Cycle World because they always did 'best' articles (I was learning a lot back then) It may have been in there still but in one of the engine dynamics or handling articles? I still have a few paper copies of stuff I found particularly interesting but noting on KZ750's (wasn't a Kawi fan)
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
Very difficult to find a donor bike in Cali for under $1.5k.  I'm going to expand my search to any two cylinder 4 stroke with a steel frame.  Still would like to find a kz750 though.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
I feel your pain. I live in the Bay Area, bike prices are ridiculous. Seems like the prices on kz750s  have shot up recently a few years ago I regularly saw them for a few hundred bucks. My project 750  I scored for $200, but it was in pretty bad shape. Where are you located?

Offline crazypj

Oh, one ting I forgot to mention about KZ750twin.
I've only ridden a few but taking one out on a greasy wet road,  it's incredibly 'top heavy' with all the stuff going on in cylinder head. When it gets even slight 'sideways' the reverse engine rotation and high CoG become very very noticeable.
Brian Morgan, 1982

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
A 750 twin will show up now and then on Craigslist around here (NM) in various conditions but almost always under 1k.   I've seen a few farther south (near the border) for under 500.  I'm always tempted to go pickup another spare.
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 65 Norton, my never finished shovelhead chopper, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
I feel your pain. I live in the Bay Area, bike prices are ridiculous. Seems like the prices on kz750s  have shot up recently a few years ago I regularly saw them for a few hundred bucks. My project 750  I scored for $200, but it was in pretty bad shape. Where are you located?
I'm down in SoCal, Riverside area.  Everyone thinks they have a gem on their hands in Cali!  I look around other states and good deals can be found pretty easily.  I would go out of state and buy but I don't really know if out of state bikes can be registered in Cali.

Offline doc_rot

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • DTT SUPPORTER
I am still a legal resident of Washington so all my vehicles are registered there. California has some of the stupidest licensing laws in the country. That has led to some deals for me, because i can easily register them in Washington. I sold my kz400 to a buddy here with a washington title and he was able to register it. I forget the details but IIRC the bike has to have over 7500 miles otherwise the DMV considers it a new vehicle regardless of age (post '76). motorcycles are smog exempt so i think its a bit more lenient to register them, i would call up the DMV and see whats up. It will be hard to find a deal this time of year in CA

Offline johnu

• DTT BOTM WINNER
I am still a legal resident of Washington so all my vehicles are registered there. California has some of the stupidest licensing laws in the country. That has led to some deals for me, because i can easily register them in Washington. I sold my kz400 to a buddy here with a washington title and he was able to register it. I forget the details but IIRC the bike has to have over 7500 miles otherwise the DMV considers it a new vehicle regardless of age (post '76). motorcycles are smog exempt so i think its a bit more lenient to register them, i would call up the DMV and see whats up. It will be hard to find a deal this time of year in CA
I will do some dmv checking, I might go to AAA to see if they can advise me about it.  I just hear about 49 state bikes that can't be registered in Cali so that is a red flag to me.  I'm not in a big hurry so I'll just keep looking.