www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)  (Read 6671 times)

Offline goodoltup

• Personal and Work Website
Re: Project CB690 (KTM 690 engine in a CB550f frame)
« Reply #80 on: Aug 22, 2018, 17:28:22 »
Started making the swingarm pivot mounts on the manual lathe at work. The finish came out a little manky, but that is due mainly to speeds and feeds. These will be welded into the plates and will use the stock KTM swingarm hardware to link up the engine, swingarm, and frame. The last picture shows the threading operation. I also have to fab up a tool to torque the swingarm pivot insert, more on that later.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #81 on: Aug 22, 2018, 17:31:11 »
Slow going on the frame modifications. All those factory welds have to be ground down and the tubes prepped for welding. I've used a combination of an air-hacksaw, angle grinder, and small pnuematic grinder with sanding discs. Not looking forward to having to finish this up.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #82 on: Aug 28, 2018, 09:53:20 »
A drawing of the swingarm pivot that I machined. Inspection of the part showed that I got within 0.05 mm on most dimensions, some bang on, with the exception being the depth of the bore. That was way out. I used a stop on the lathe to gauge depth but something wasn't right, ended up being out by 0.8 mm. For this application it is not important, just need more practice on the lathe.

Offline goodoltup

« Reply #83 on: Aug 30, 2018, 13:41:41 »
This tool my colleague made for me on the mill, to torque the swingarm adjuster nuts that are located in the pivot. It has a 17mm hex.