www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: the Hunley or, pidjones needed a retirement project  (Read 3635 times)

Offline pidjones

Re: the Hunley or, pidjones needed a retirement project
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26, 2018, 07:18:54 »
Bearings didn't come, so I hooked up throttle cables, choke, clutch, and tach. Need to mount the shelter to go further on the wiring. Keeping most of the stock harness with renewed connectors. Still need dry weather for more painting.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: Apr 26, 2018, 09:17:56 »
Nice, following along, I've been there a couple times on my old girl but not to this level of finish, mines always been, get her fixed to ride, one of these days I'll go this far on her.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline pidjones

« Reply #12 on: Apr 27, 2018, 10:29:39 »
Nice, following along, I've been there a couple times on my old girl but not to this level of finish, mines always been, get her fixed to ride, one of these days I'll go this far on her.
If I had only this to ride, it would have been buttoned up five years ago. The 1800 behind it is my DD though, so this work is for "pleasure". And, I'm really enjoying it without time pressure, 'cause I'm slow as mud.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: Apr 27, 2018, 10:53:33 »
Yep, When I can get another DD that can handle what the 79 does I will then do the slow and steady refurb like you are. May be when I retire for all I know LOL. I just know I'll never sell the ole girl.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline pidjones

« Reply #14 on: Apr 27, 2018, 22:22:32 »
I finally was able to paint some! Humidity in the 40's, so I put down etching primer, black (Duplicolor wheel paint), and clear (also Duplicolor wheel) on the upper and lower triple tree and the air filter housing. Also put filler primer on the side panels and sanded them to remove a couple divots. Look like one or two more coats of primer and they will be ready for color. Hooked up the crankcase vent to the air cleaner housing after it was mounted, and then hooked up the drain bottle. A little tricky on a '75 motor (with the kick start quadrant back there) in a '78 frame, but I prefer the '78 system. Hope to be able to shoot color on the tins next week. Kind of wondering if the paint I've chosen will look right over different color primers (olive drab etching primer and light grey filler primer). Might just paint it all with a couple coats of black before I shoot the dark emerald green metallic.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #15 on: Apr 28, 2018, 21:37:33 »
So, hovering Hunley went out into the sunlight today. Also gained triple trees, forks, handlebars, headlight. All wired  up to the point that I was able to get headlights and speedo/tach lights. No indications on the gauge panel, and the starter acts like it is shorted now (it worked a couple months ago for me to do compression tests).

Offline pidjones

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30, 2018, 21:57:04 »
Starter works fine with a fully charged battery! Have signals, headlights, tail and stop lights (no brakes yet, though!) A few more items and I get to see if it will run.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2018, 20:44:02 »
Painted the tins yesterday. Taking the side covers out to paint I noticed that the primer will still soft. It had been on for a couple weeks at least. I left them aside and painted the shelter sides, radiator scoops, front and rear fenders, and the little piece that bolts to the back of the shelter under the door. Pretty happy with the way the color turned out. It is just lacquer, so I need to let it cure for a bit and then buff the clear coat. A little orange peel in a few places on the shelter sides, otherwise it looks great. Today I scrapped (sanding primer was so soft a lot of it scraped off with a putty knife) the paint off of the side covers and discovered after trial and error that there is a clear coat on the side covers that the primer (which is lacquer-based) doesn't agree with. I have almost all of that off now, too. Tried some etching primer over them lightly and there are just a few spots left to address. I'll get some more etching primer, seal everything off with that, and then lightly apply the sanding primer. Meanwhile, I pulled the rear brake system apart and got one of the pistons out. The side with the connections wasn't so easy (used air to get the first one out). I have blanked the cross port and applied air, but so far no piston movement. I'll get at it again tomorrow. Oh, and recharged the S10 AC system as it will be my work commute transportation on bad-weather days this summer.

Offline pidjones

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2018, 18:24:42 »
Hmm. Well, I got the other rear brake piston out. Read somewhere the suggestion to hook up the front master cylinder to it and yep, pumped it right out. I've put them both on my lathe and polished - still a few very small pits but these for a '78 rear are made from unobtainium, I think. I have a rebuild kit on hand for both front and rear master cylinders now, plus a rear caliper kit. The front calipers seemed real good when I brought the bike home five years ago. The fluid in them looked pretty good. I'll flush them thoroughly and rebuild the front master.

Rolled her outside today and tried starting. Got a little rumble, but before I could go much further the starter quit again. Guess a charged battery won't do it this time - so I've mounted the wheels and will have the wife help steady the bike while I lift under the center cross member with a floor jack and pull the furniture dolly out from under it. I've already re-mounted the kick stand. Since I haven't mounted mufflers yet it will be easy to drop that header and pull the starter. Yep, um hm. Easy. Well, at least I have all of the wiring finished now - even the horns!

Offline Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2018, 19:36:23 »
Projects wouldn't be a challenge without the issues. Pity the battery didn't sort it out. I wonder if the charged battery was just a bit to far gone to give the amps needed to turn the motor around.
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.