www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: GS1100G Resto-mod  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Drey6

• DTT SUPPORTER
GS1100G Resto-mod
« on: Apr 17, 2018, 13:29:10 »
Ive been MIA for the most part from this forum for a long while but am still workin on bikes fairly consistently. This project kind of happened suddenly as I acquired some parts on the cheap to resell (engine and other bits) then got a tip from my bud Chuck(Chuck78) that there was a titled frame (GS1100G)to be on a local auction. I won the bid at an extremely low price and also was pointed towards a non-titled parts bike (GS1100GK) that had a wiring harness and 17Ē rear wheel. Won that one as well and before you know it I was taking 3 incomplete bikes home with me. (My buddy also bought a titled GS650L complete project, his first bike). 

Anthony sitting in his first project!
He picked up another complete titled parts bike to use along side the build. Iíll try my best to drag him over and post a build thread.

My titled frame stripped of the 37mm forks, and rear wheel/swing arm. During its pre-paint bath.

After plugging threads, primer and paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2018, 16:18:48 by Drey6 »

Offline Drey6

• DTT SUPPORTER
GS1100G Resto-mod
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2018, 14:31:39 »
Iíve made a bit of progress in the last few months so Iíll catch this up to speed. There is still a lot of work to do!

So the engine I purchased 2 years ago was from an abandoned project of a GSR forum member. He posted a CL ad for an Ēengine and partsĒ @ $50.  I said ďhell, I can probably resell that for much more if Iím patient!Ē Well I wasnít patient enough I guess and here we are.... included in the parts were lots of powder coated bits and polished hub/final drive.

Here is the swingarm w/new bearings and polished hub attached.

Engine clean up before pulling covers to paint and replace gaskets.

Most of the covers primed.

Covers pulled

Only oil leaks I could make an educated guess at were the oil pan, valve cover and possibly the tach drive and cam tensioner. The oil pan revealed some super thick gunky oil but luckily no metal bits etc. strainer was pulled and cleaned at this time as well but looked pretty clean prior.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 14:45:37 by Drey6 »

Offline Drey6

• DTT SUPPORTER
GS1100G Resto-mod
« Reply #2 on: Apr 17, 2018, 14:41:54 »
I pulled he 41mm forks and triples off of he non-titled auction bike and polished those up.

Before

After

Also replaced the fork seals, trimmed springs, removed stock spacer, installed a slightly longer 1/2Ē PVC spacer and fresh fluid.

New needle bearings for the steering stem, and wheel bearings.

Gaskets/ orings and such arrived at this time.

« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 14:46:11 by Drey6 »

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: GS1100G Resto-mod
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2018, 15:03:23 »
Nice work so far Drey6.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Drey6

• DTT SUPPORTER
GS1100G Resto-mod
« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2018, 15:04:23 »
I took the dish soap garden hose cleaned wheels and fresh Shinko 230ís to Chucks to relearn and assist in removal of old tires/installing new. He has a set up there that he adapted from a Harbor Frieght car tire rig and fashioned it for motorcycles. He even welded a spare GS axle to it since thatís mainly what he works on.

We both had our eyes on a pair of mostly complete 1982 1100GK parts bikes locally. I knew I could use a lot of those parts as I still was without tank, Sidecovers, lights, gauges, CARBS etc. I picked the both up with my small 4x7 trailer  (it was a funny sight...). My buddy Travis helped load the bikes with me. We worked on Travisís 650G over the summer. His first bike too, we did a general once over. Rebuilt carbs, updated wiring harness, updated charging and with Chucks help, fresh tires too.

Travisís 650G

Chuck went in on half the cost of the parts bikes to acquire a GK DPort top-end and 41mm forks. The guy had an extra GK engine and 41 mm forks for me when I got there. SWEET!

Here are the parts bikes. Looks like they were outside for a long while but many usable parts remain.

I picked up some Tec Shocks meant for a Triumph Scrambler that weighs about same as an 1100G. Sleeves were too small for my shock studs and drilling them out wouldnít leave much material so I removed the bushings from the stock GK goofy air shock, cut the rubber and retrieved the metal tubes to fit the into the Tec plastic bushings.

A pic of the shocks before  I swapped the bushings.

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2018, 16:22:59 by Drey6 »

Offline Drey6

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2018, 15:06:25 »
Nice work so far Drey6.

Thanks man! So much more fun now that Iíve taken more time to learn from others and read. Only about 5 years of on off experience working on bikes has put me a more confident position to take on a project without constantly doubting and researching in between as I have had to do in the past.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: Apr 17, 2018, 15:18:54 »
I've got that car tire stand, need to go get the motorcycle tire adapter for it next time it's on sale. I did 4 car tires on it this weekend and that paid for it. That balancing stand is nice. I use jack stands and an old axle but for 39.99 I think I'll grab one of those too.
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2018, 15:22:21 by Maritime »

Offline Drey6

• DTT SUPPORTER
GS1100G Resto-mod
« Reply #7 on: Apr 17, 2018, 15:27:37 »
Okay Iím almost done vomiting up all of the past work on his thread.

I mounted the shocks, swinger rear wheel and front end(mocked up/ nothing torqued yet but all is good there). Black Emgo Superbike bars with stainless bolts on the clamps. Iím using a lot of stainless on this bike. Black GK tank, tail piece, and 550 seat my buddy upholstered. Only has that seat on  for a picture, Iím going to trim the dorky stock GK seat and slap a Saddlemen cover on it. Will be similarly shaped to the 550E seat photographed.

Started to install covers and OEM gaskets. Here is 2 of 5. I guess the others were completed after my phone died.

Clutch cover with new clutch shaft seal. Also replaced  the shift shaft seal on the opposite side.

I had a hell of a time finding a good stator! I have 5 from these bikes and only the last two I tested had good resistance. I was pretty frustrated with the though of having to buy one when I had 5 here! The two that tested good both had Brittany wires. The one I chose could have worked as is but I figured it was best to trim it back inside the stator cover and solder/heat shrink +tape fresh leads.

I quickly cleaned and rebuilt the cam chain tensioner (new OEM o-rings/paper gasket)  and did the same with the tach drive (new OEM oring and oil seal).

All 12-14(?) chrome cam caps are pitted so picked the best of the litter, hit them with some WD-40 and #0000 steel wool followed by some Motherís Polish. They turned out okay.

Here she is without the Suzuki badges(still need to refinish those). I also changed the secondary gear oil while it was in the bench.

Ready to be put into the frame!

« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2018, 16:28:11 by Drey6 »

Offline Drey6

• DTT SUPPORTER
GS1100G Resto-mod
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2018, 15:33:23 »
I've got that car tire stand, need to go get the motorcycle tire adapter for it next time it's on sale. I did 4 car tires on it this weekend and that paid for it. That balancing stand is nice. I use jack stands and an old axle but for 39.99 I think I'll grab one of those too.

Yeah he seems pleased with his set up. I think he bought nylon parts to adapt his more to motorcycle rims from a retailer online(?) Iíll have to ask him who that was.

Iím in the process of moving in the next month (we bought a house!!), new job starting on June 18th and a our first baby in July! Ittzzza boy! Hectic summer ahead.

With that said, after I get settled in within the next year and my shop set up, Iíll definitely be picking up a  similar tire set-up as Chuck has. Youíre right, they definitely pay for themselves!

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: Apr 17, 2018, 15:44:45 »
Motor looks good. congrats on the life stuff, Kids are great!  I'd like to know about the nylon bits as 39.99 doesn't give you everything LOL but it's worth the price to spend a little more to make it better. I did a set of chrome rims and had to be real careful not to damage them on the stand. Used my bike irons mostly with some cut up plastic bottle to keep them from harm.