www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: UJM fate - I vote STOP ruining awesome bikes, build rad Cafe's out of the rest!  (Read 3693 times)

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
Indeed.  Simply being old doesn't make a bike desirable or valuable.  Even being rare doesn't automatically make a bike worth a lot.  If it were shite then, it'll still be shite now, but with the added hassle of being aged and cranky.

What!? You mean my yugo won’t be worth thousands one day?

Offline The Limey

• Evil English Villain
Ah, the Yugo.  The Clark Kent of cars.
I was born a rocker.  I'll die a rocker.  And I'm proud of it.

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
I think almost all of you nearly completely missed my point because you were busy taking offense to something I wasn't necessarily accusing you all of!
Building a cafe racer out of a rusted apart bike that is sunk in the mud and would otherwise be sent to the scrap yard is a very awesome and noble thing. Taking a nice original bike that just needs the typical maintenance and carburetor rebuild, and hacking it to pieces before doing any legit maintenance work is a shame... especially because most of these bikes never get to looking like a professional build quality and are rendered basically worthless for resale even... I see this far too much. What I see far too little of in the real, non-digital world, is professional quality builds of the likes that are boasted about on the internet with impressive build threads. People don't make build threads about their bike that they don't even know how to disassemble a carburetor on yet they hacksaw the back of the frame off first thing...

'77 GS750 920cc, 4-1, GS1100E swinger, 18" Sun rims, Fox Factory Shox, twinpot dual disc, CR31, Yosh cams
'74 Rickman VR250MX
'99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
PROJECTS:
'77 Suzuki PE250B
"Pure Enduro" trail beast, ported, Wiseco, TüBliss, Fox Factory Shox/RaceTech
'76 Rickman CR GS1000-1120cc roadracer, Yosh cams&4-1, RF900R fork, Works piggybacks
'79 GS425 489cc Formula 500 racer, Tempter cams, GS650 forks, twinpot brakes, DID rims, GS1100E swinger, Fox Factory Shox
'77 GS550's 650-740cc susp&brake mods

Offline Chuck78

• my bike photo album
The other enormous part of my point is that in fact these bikes are clearly getting more scarce in a lot of areas of the country, but some of you just have not gotten to witness that yet. Shopping for cheap project bikes this year has been drastically different than the past decade... This is the first time that I am realizing they are becoming harder to come by.

And as far as someone trying to debunk my suggestion of taking KZ LTD models or GS L models and turning them into cafe racers vs the more desirable standard/sport models. This is an awesome alternative to hacking a great bike.. up. Why? If you are going to put a set of triple clamps that are not made for that frame geometry, matched with a set of forks that they came with, that are too short for this vintage bike chassis, you are getting rid of the leading axle forks anyway, and all of the chrome trim and stepped king queen seat, so there is no difference between that and hacking to pieces a standard model KZ or GS once you do a modern fork swap that has the exhaust one inch off of the ground... , these bikes are built off of the same frames with a few variations from the standard / sport models. Some have the 16-inch cruiser back wheel, but that doesn't really do much other than give it a big wide tire and trade the weight of cast aluminum for the weight of a big fat tire. Plus so many cafe builds get a wheel swap anyways... swap wheels, seat, forks... there you have it, no difference between a GS550L and a GS550E if both are hacked up into amateur cafe racers.

'77 GS750 920cc, 4-1, GS1100E swinger, 18" Sun rims, Fox Factory Shox, twinpot dual disc, CR31, Yosh cams
'74 Rickman VR250MX
'99 Kawasaki KDX220 rugged terrain ripper
PROJECTS:
'77 Suzuki PE250B
"Pure Enduro" trail beast, ported, Wiseco, TüBliss, Fox Factory Shox/RaceTech
'76 Rickman CR GS1000-1120cc roadracer, Yosh cams&4-1, RF900R fork, Works piggybacks
'79 GS425 489cc Formula 500 racer, Tempter cams, GS650 forks, twinpot brakes, DID rims, GS1100E swinger, Fox Factory Shox
'77 GS550's 650-740cc susp&brake mods

Offline MiniatureNinja

I think almost all of you nearly completely missed my point because you were busy taking offense to something I wasn't necessarily accusing you all of!
Building a cafe racer out of a rusted apart bike that is sunk in the mud and would otherwise be sent to the scrap yard is a very awesome and noble thing. Taking a nice original bike that just needs the typical maintenance and carburetor rebuild, and hacking it to pieces before doing any legit maintenance work is a shame... especially because most of these bikes never get to looking like a professional build quality and are rendered basically worthless for resale even... I see this far too much. What I see far too little of in the real, non-digital world, is professional quality builds of the likes that are boasted about on the internet with impressive build threads. People don't make build threads about their bike that they don't even know how to disassemble a carburetor on yet they hacksaw the back of the frame off first thing...

so I started my build not knowing anything about bikes (just having been involved in fast cars on the road race track)

I hacked a lot up - I even made mistakes. I bought a grinder to fix those mistakes. then i bought a welder and fixed those mistakes...
It was funny because a friend and I building our own bikes up doing stuff always go to a local vintage bike meet, and its usually full of much older dudes, it's cool they all have super rad and sometimes rare bikes. But we stopped going because we felt kind of out of place there - and I had one of them recognize me at the store and told me how all the guys missed us.. because we were the dudes getting dirty hacking stuff up and making our our bikes our own way just like they did back when they were our age - there was no judgement for taking a very VERY good condition CB350 and turning it into a bobber, there was none of that.
When my uncle who I raced with in SCCA worked at a local honda bike dealer, he told me that they threw away countless CBs... they were so cheap... lower tier bikes that people rode for a year then traded in.. most of them never maintained. a Honda CB, Yamaha XS.. whatever - they are NOT in any way shape or form desirable now other than as an easy platform for 'cafe racer' builds.
now.. a cb450 black bomber in perfect condition ? who cares.. I would love to have one but if Fred Krugger wanted to make something epic out of it I wouldn't say he's crazy.
'75 Honda CB360 - thread

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
Live and let live

If someone wants to hack up a pristine version of a bike, let them go right ahead.
Chances are though the rate that this happens at will be self limiting.
If the options are anywhere between 500 for a complete POS, or 3000 for a pristine version, which is most likely going to be chosen for the project?

I see ads all the time people asking 4-5k (canadian mind you, so thats like 24.97 USD)
For pristine cb350 twins, or kz440’s or other trash like that, and i think “why?”
Like who in their right mind wants to drop that kind of cash on what was basically a disposable entry level bike back then?
“But it’s a rare bike”, ya sure it is but so is a yugo and i wouldn’t want one of those either.

Offline Scooter trash

I customized my Honda CB450, Condor, AKA black bomber, back in the 60's. This was just before I went into the Army.
Asphalt, the greatest tattoo remover.

Offline SONIC.

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Reminds me of...me No, I'm sure of it. I hate him

Nope didn't miss the point, and didn't get offended, just a difference of opinion is all!

I'd MUCH rather someone take a perfectly decent bike, chop it up, ruin it and learn something than have it go to someone that's just going to look at it.
Make, chop, destroy, create, LEARN. That's what all of this is about in my opinion.

Offline Popeye SXM

• Also used for MX
Nope didn't miss the point, and didn't get offended, just a difference of opinion is all!

I'd MUCH rather someone take a perfectly decent bike, chop it up, ruin it and learn something than have it go to someone that's just going to look at it.
Make, chop, destroy, create, LEARN. That's what all of this is about in my opinion.
+ 1
Bikes should be used and enjoyed, not preserved

Offline The Limey

• Evil English Villain
I'd rather see a bike revived as a Cafe Racer or a special, or even as a rat, than simply get weighed in for scrap or allowed to rust back to its constituent molecules.

If people are worried about bikes becoming scarce then they should put their money where their mouth is, get off their arses and go restore a few themselves. Until that time they should zip it, and let people build whatever they want.
I was born a rocker.  I'll die a rocker.  And I'm proud of it.