www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1976 CB750F Canadian Cafe!  (Read 763 times)

Offline RaM

Re: 1976 CB750F Canadian Cafe!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2018, 13:11:29 »
So I took apart the brakes last night. Both need a rebuild at the caliper as well as the master cylinders for both front and rear.
Can anyone comment on:
- Is it worth it to rebuild stock M.C's ?
- If not, I'd also like to modernize the look of the handlebars and run sportier controls anyways. budget always being a concern, what do people think of the ebay jobbies? something like these: https://www.amazon.ca/Universal-Motorcycle-Clutch-Cylinder-Reservoir/dp/B06XYLFY5L/ref=pd_sbs_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VQ3XP4APXSDCFPDBGVV5
Worth it to take a risk on or are they garbage? rebuild kit would run me more than half the cost of just buying these outright.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 13:17:32 »
I have experience with both and the OEM honda is way better than the no name aftermarket, that being said you can get a good used newer model honda that likely doesn't need a rebuild for the cost of the aftermarket.  For example, I had an aftermarket one on my GL1000 and it worked, but it was a bit soft and I didn't like the feel of it. I got hit by a deer on the bike so that one got thrashed, when I re-did the bike I got a mid 90's CBR master in good used shape, It works so much better and it was an upgrade to the stock brakes as well. with it and braided stainless lines the bike stops better than it ever did new.  I picked it up for 30 bucks or so on Ebay. took a few weeks to get a good one to show up but worth the wait.  I got the Galfer lines with the double banjo from the master and they are very nice.\

here are some pics of the setup
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 13:25:02 by Maritime »
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline RaM

« Reply #12 on: Jul 30, 2018, 11:32:28 »
So overdue update, life & summer vacations have gotten in the way of this project, but over the past 2 months i've been managing to pick away at the build.

So, after going through a bunch of components and not being able to make up my mind on where to start I decided to focus on the frame modifications and get the seat fitted first. I elected to strip the bike down complete since that will need to be done anyways, then work on building the bike back up. I ordered an upswept brat seat from DCC, as well as the hoop and pins to match. I want to go the clip-on route so ordered some of those in off ebay.

Here's a mockup of the look prior to my teardown

I found a bike on instagram that better models exactly what I want to do with mine. I was modeling after the bike exif ultra noir feature but this one keeps most of the stock features I plan on keeping as well (namely the front end)

I have a ton of pictures of the process and everything is tagged and noted (and small parts bagged). But here's the scene after the stripdown!

After that I managed to get the frame hoop welded in, seat mocked up, and excess tabs cut off and ground down.

I need to do a better job sanding the tabs down to be flush with the frame tubes, I plan on using the VHT roll-bar paint in a gloss black for the frame. I tested one spot and there's still a little ghosting through the paint. Just need some time and patience.

One big problem I currently have is the swingarm collar and phenol bushings are absolutely siezed inside the swingarm. It took a sledgehammer and some heat to get the pivot bolt out but the same trick did not work on the collar. I have a shop press at work I'm going to bring it in and try to press the collar out. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have new bronze bushings on the way, but I definitely don't want to damage the collar because it seems that's not an easy part to get these days.

Thanks all, will try and get more frequent updates moving forward.

Offline RaM

« Reply #13 on: Aug 10, 2018, 12:52:13 »
quick update..
took the swingarm into work and got to use the shop press to press out the collar.

Made the job super easy. it was stuck in there solid but after using a nylon wheel it cleaned up the rust pretty good. some minor pitting but shouldn't be an issue. Once I get home I can test fit into the new bronze bushings that just arrived from twowheelsfrank on ebay.

After using the sledge on it and the press there's some minor mushrooming of the collar. I hope that doesn't affect the overall length too much, but I imagine i'll have a tough time fitting this through the new bushings. Thinking of grinding the end 1/8" down to get rid of it by hand (dremel or file). anyone see an issue with that?