www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Cb360 Reassembly Help  (Read 27064 times)

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Re: Cb360 Reassembly Help
« Reply #470 on: May 09, 2019, 11:14:14 »
Do most cam chains work for these bikes? Example could I use a cb550 chain?

What’s the advantage?

Offline cb360j

« Reply #471 on: May 09, 2019, 11:17:24 »
I have a spare cb550 engine I could rip apart.... but the chain is only $40.. I think I will just buy it

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #472 on: May 09, 2019, 11:50:13 »
Do most cam chains work for these bikes? Example could I use a cb550 chain?
I've used CB750 'race' chain but it does need a few links cut off. ( iCB750 chain is same as CB 350 though so direct fit on 350)
Actually, You can leave the top end bolted together. Flip it over and split the cases. The cam chain is endless and the crank will need to be removed and the cam chain fit over it. Then put the crank back in, clean and re-seal the cases and torque them up.

Its actually not a bad job. I had to re-do mine for some reason, and I had it done in an afternoon.
Isn't possible to do it without stripping top end, connecting rods are one piece on 360.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:56:15 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline cb360j

« Reply #473 on: May 16, 2019, 07:17:52 »
For your viewing pleasure. Cam chain wasn't as ruined as I imagined, still had a few broken links. Tensioners are destroyed though. And the sprocket is bad. Highlighted where the damage was.

Offline cb360j

« Reply #474 on: May 17, 2019, 09:00:59 »
Fully reassembled the engine last night. I got to the point of adjusting my valves and I noticed the engine was a little bit more difficult to turn over, and was "falling past" tdc way quicker.. if that makes sense. When rotating to left cylinder tdc and placing my finger over the spark plug hole it isn't making much compression. I will need to get a tester to verify. But when rotating through the intake stroke, it is not "sucking" as hard as it normally would on the left cylinder as well.

I am taking it back apart today after work. And it would make sense that if my valves were not adjusted properly then the compression could be off right? Just thought it was strange it was not "intaking" correctly either. I guess it isn't out of the question there could be a bent valve causing this?

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #475 on: May 17, 2019, 09:21:43 »
Fully reassembled the engine last night. I got to the point of adjusting my valves and I noticed the engine was a little bit more difficult to turn over, and was "falling past" tdc way quicker.. if that makes sense. When rotating to left cylinder tdc and placing my finger over the spark plug hole it isn't making much compression. I will need to get a tester to verify. But when rotating through the intake stroke, it is not "sucking" as hard as it normally would on the left cylinder as well.

I am taking it back apart today after work. And it would make sense that if my valves were not adjusted properly then the compression could be off right? Just thought it was strange it was not "intaking" correctly either. I guess it isn't out of the question there could be a bent valve causing this?

The tappet would have to be adjusted super tight in order to keep a valve open for the entire stroke, in theory. I don't even know if its possible to adjust it that far on a 360. You're 100% sure you have the cam timed correctly?

Offline cb360j

« Reply #476 on: May 17, 2019, 09:27:50 »
The tappet would have to be adjusted super tight in order to keep a valve open for the entire stroke, in theory. I don't even know if its possible to adjust it that far on a 360. You're 100% sure you have the cam timed correctly?

That was my first thought before I took the head off. Was to retime the cam, then try everything again.

Offline cb360j

« Reply #477 on: May 17, 2019, 09:28:19 »
And then if it isnt fixed at that point.. take it all the way down lol.

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #478 on: May 17, 2019, 09:32:40 »
And then if it isnt fixed at that point.. take it all the way down lol.

Probably just pull the head. From what happened I find it unlikely you have a bent valve (hopefully not), but there's only one way to find out.

At least you're probably getting fast at tearing it down LOL

Offline cb360j

« Reply #479 on: May 17, 2019, 10:30:31 »
Probably just pull the head. From what happened I find it unlikely you have a bent valve (hopefully not), but there's only one way to find out.

At least you're probably getting fast at tearing it down LOL

Lol thats for sure! I swear I can pull the entire engine out in twenty minutes then have the bottom end taken off in another 20 or less. There was one day when I was replacing the kickstart shaft that I removed then stripped the bottom end 2 times in just a few hours. Then I had to again when I felt like it didn't feel right.. again.. And then there was the first time I took it out of the frame. And ive taken the top end apart at least 7 times. cb360s are the most labor intensive motorcycles I swear