www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: 1979 Chevy C10 Hellride  (Read 2453 times)

Offline 1fasgsxr

Re: 1979 Chevy C10 Hellride
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 15:45:42 »
My dream square body...
http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=41083.0

Life is a journey from the maternity ward to the crematorium....

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 17:11:51 »
^ That is effin' sweet.  Mine's a long bed, so it will not be quite like that, but it will haul a shitload more manure.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 18:18:05 »
^ That is effin' sweet.  Mine's a long bed, so it will not be quite like that, but it will haul a shitload more manure.

I actually prefer yours as it sits over that black one.

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 18:45:59 »
I actually prefer yours as it sits over that black one.

Ha.  Well if you're following along, you're about to be disappointed.  I'm running a 16 back 15 front, so I should retain some rake, but it's about to drop again.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 21:23:42 »
Ha.  Well if you're following along, you're about to be disappointed.  I'm running a 16 back 15 front, so I should retain some rake, but it's about to drop again.

Dropping it is fine.  Its the long bed, old patina and the wheels you chose, I like.

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 21:30:51 »
Dropping it is fine.  Its the long bed, old patina and the wheels you chose, I like.
Like a brother from another mother.

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 21:21:41 »
Dropped the rear with an axle flip and notched the frame.  Might not be proper, but I welded my notch in instead of bolting it. Looks like I'm raising the exhaust an inch or two as well.  I still have drop spindles to install up front, but I'm waiting on fresh ball joints, which should be here tomorrow.

Offline The Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 21:35:30 »
Man that thing is looong and mean. Like a land shark. Bad to the motherf*ckiní bone

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 23:18:00 »
Haha. Long bed ftw. Well, as it turns out, my exhaust interferes with the driveshaft.  For now, I cut it off from the muffler back. Iím thinking Iíll make it simple and route it out in front of the driverís side rear wheel. Gets a little louder losing all that length, but sounds awesome nevertheless.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline Nebr_Rex

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 23:42:51 »
Here is my old Chevy C10 Bonanza that my mom named Clunky many years ago.  It was bought new off the lot by my great uncle to work his peanut farm in Sylvania, Georgia. The first thing he did to it was rip out the nozzle hole in the filler tube so he could fit the lead fuel nozzle.  He ran his farm equipment on leaded gas until he couldn't anymore.  The second thing he did was cut out the catalytic converter.  The truck has been passed down through my dad and on to me, so I'm a 3rd generation owner. 

I'm part of a couple C10 and Chevy forums that I'm not super active on and the crowd is just a little different, so I figured I'd add it to the list of builds I have here instead.  I'm less than two weeks away from summer vacation, so I'm hungry for a good summer project.  I've been driving mostly on weekends, and my kid loves to go to school in it on Fridays, as my insurance is set up to allow me only 7k miles a year.  The plan is to make it a good bike hauler so I can start to rest my '99 Grand Cherokee, which is about to pass 200k miles.  Typically, I trailer the bikes to events with the Jeep. 

I've done a few things since I got the truck, but hopefully the summer produces way, way more.

This is what it looked like when I got it home for the first time:

Here it is today:

It's a Bonanza, which was a dealer package that basically added the white wagon wheels to an already loaded Silverado. 
The stock 305 has been swapped out for a rebuilt 350 with '87 Vortec heads, an RV cam, Edelbrock aluminum intake and a 600cfm Holley 1850 carb.  The transmission is a TH350 that I rebuilt for my G10 van, but that van has been retired, so the tranny was moved here.  I don't know how much of a fan I am of the Holley, and I definitely want to swap the transmission for a 700r4.  I go back and forth one whether to do the LS swap and run a 4l60 transmission.  That will more than likely be way down the road.  Up next is further dropping it to 6" in the front and 8" in the back.  We're currently at a 3" and 2" drop.

The 1850 Holleys are known for an off idle bog. I run one on my 85 F150 during the winter. The problem centers around the transfer slot
at the primary butterflies. I ended up drilling one of the air jets and drilling a hole in the primary butterfly. I haven't seen a Chevy around
my neck of the woods of that vintage without rust in 35 years.