www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Electrical..... HAAALP!!!  (Read 622 times)

Offline 88SS

Electrical..... HAAALP!!!
« on: Jun 06, 2018, 18:19:21 »
I had some gremlins in my stock harness (1980 Cb750f). Now Iím looking to make my own harness, because a tanked the budget. I want to simplify this mess, but I canít find a simplified diagram. Iíll be running p/a ignition, and cycle xís charging system. Iíve got those two sorted out, but Iím stumped on the rest.

Biggest issue Iím having right now are my switches. I bought a universal set from spark moto, and they didnít come with any kind of diagram explaining which wire goes where. Sent several emails, and got one vague response. Needless to say Iím not pleased with that.

Trying to make my life easier. Any advice or info is appreciated. A simplified diagram for the essential items would be a homerun

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline 88SS

Re: Electrical..... HAAALP!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 06, 2018, 20:59:50 »

Thank you! That top one should do

Offline Sonreir

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Oregon
« Reply #3 on: Jun 09, 2018, 01:31:01 »
Biggest issue Iím having right now are my switches. I bought a universal set from spark moto, and they didnít come with any kind of diagram explaining which wire goes where. Sent several emails, and got one vague response. Needless to say Iím not pleased with that.

Which part was vague? I did say that all of the colors (except a few I specifically called out and detailed how to wire up) matched with the stock colors. Sorry I don't have a diagram for these.
Sparck Moto - http://www.sparckmoto.com

Audaces fortuna iuvat.

1977 Honda CJ360 - Cafť SOS - Stage Oneô, Cafť SOS - Stage Twoô
1976 Puch Maxi - APuchalypse Now
Suzi T500 Cobra Resto

Custom Gauge Graphics
Custom Wiring Harnesses

DTT Red, White, and/or Black 360 Club - Better than those Blue guys

Offline 88SS

« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2018, 01:50:32 »
Which part was vague? I did say that all of the colors (except a few I specifically called out and detailed how to wire up) matched with the stock colors. Sorry I don't have a diagram for these.

A few of them are the same color. Thatís true, but thereís no way to tell which wires go to which switches? How am I supposed to wire them up? I donít need directions I need a diagram. Great waste of 65 bucks, and a huge disappointment considering they are built well. Too bad

If thereís no diagram then how the hell do you know which wires go to which switches? Guess!? Or spend 500 on a ďcustomĒ harness so I can use them.

I got the bike wired up. Donít worry. As for the universal switches, theyíll be up on eBay soon. Maybe I can cut my loss.

Offline Redbird

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Dolor est Magister Optimus
« Reply #5 on: Jun 15, 2018, 17:13:57 »
Post the switches up here before you hit eBay.
Most of the members here are smart enough to trace wires back to the individual switches to determine which one goes where.
The rest are smart enough to follow directions ;)
When you are Dead, you don't know that you are Dead. It is difficult only for Others.

It is the same when you are Stupid.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #6 on: Jun 15, 2018, 17:24:17 »
A few of them are the same color. Thatís true, but thereís no way to tell which wires go to which switches? How am I supposed to wire them up? I donít need directions I need a diagram. Great waste of 65 bucks, and a huge disappointment considering they are built well. Too bad

I am surprised that you can't trace wires back to the switch to work out which circuits they are. I'm no electrical engineer and if I didn't have a multimeter, I'd use a battery and 12v bulb from a tacho or similar or go to the local auto parts store and buy a circuit tester.

That basically is how most of us manage to fit switches form modern bikes, or universal switches onto our old bikes.  It's pretty simple really.

BTW, do you have a Norton 600SS or does your screen name have some other connotation?

Online Brodie

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2018, 18:24:28 »
If the colours match the stock switches then the stock diagram is going to show you what leads where....
I'm not sure, but don't ask Brodie.

Way to many build and half done projects to list here.
Sr250, Gs750, Z50A, XV1100, A10, Z160A.

Offline 88SS

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17, 2018, 23:53:49 »
I am surprised that you can't trace wires back to the switch to work out which circuits they are. I'm no electrical engineer and if I didn't have a multimeter, I'd use a battery and 12v bulb from a tacho or similar or go to the local auto parts store and buy a circuit tester.

That basically is how most of us manage to fit switches form modern bikes, or universal switches onto our old bikes.  It's pretty simple really.

BTW, do you have a Norton 600SS or does your screen name have some other connotation?

On the old clymer manual the bike is #88 and itís an f super sport. I couldnít come up with a user name, so I just punched in 88ss.

Offline 88SS

« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2018, 00:01:18 »
If the colours match the stock switches then the stock diagram is going to show you what leads where....
The colors donít match the stock switches. I couldnít tell which wires were going where on the universal switches, and got frustrated with trying to figure it out.

I would think a diagram for the universal switches wouldnít be too much to ask, but maybe Iím wrong. Either way, Iím not trying to spend a month wiring up switches I plan on changing out anyway.

The stock switches were dried out and corroded. I was hoping for a reasonable swap to get me through the summer, but now itís too late. Iíve already re wired the whole bike to run no switches