www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Honda CB750K Cafe Racer project about to start with a monoshock??  (Read 3234 times)

Offline rohalloran

Have decided not to go down the USD fork route now due to costs. I came across this bike over the weekend and I think it is the way to go.
Thinking of putting an F series front end on the bike and MAYBE changing the backend to the F series also. Will see what mods are needed to the Kawasaki swingarm to take the Honda Comstar wheels first. Anyone any experience fitting F series front/backend to a K series, your thought and opinions are welcome.

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
Just a thought, but there is nothing particularly special about that bike in the video, and your bike is unique and appears to have been thoughtfully modified. I would be tempted to rebuild the motor, take care of any consumables such as chain, cables and tires and ride the thing.  An F tank and suitable seat might look nice but I's avoid changing anything substantial until you have  chance to ride it and see how it works.

If you would prefer to have a bike more like the sample, maybe it would be better and cheaper to sell what you have and buy something that will take way less work to get it to look like that.

Offline irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
I agree.  The frame, swing arm scenario looks great.  Nothing to gain from F components except a rear disc, which you already have.  You also have a sought after swing arm because it allows you to adjust the geometry by rotating the axle mount and essentially raising or lowering the axle location.  It's also a lot lighter than an F swing arm.  I personally love those mags, but you can easily swap to Kawasaki KZ mags to give you more of a Lester-like look.

Offline rohalloran

Just a thought, but there is nothing particularly special about that bike in the video, and your bike is unique and appears to have been thoughtfully modified. I would be tempted to rebuild the motor, take care of any consumables such as chain, cables and tires and ride the thing.  An F tank and suitable seat might look nice but I's avoid changing anything substantial until you have  chance to ride it and see how it works.

If you would prefer to have a bike more like the sample, maybe it would be better and cheaper to sell what you have and buy something that will take way less work to get it to look like that.

Thanks for your comments. Definitely food for thought. Perhaps a rolling chassis to fit my current motor would be a better option to get a big like this example and then overtime build out the current bike with all the mods.  ::) The bracket for the mono shock can stay on the frame so can always swap between the 2 once I get wheels I like for the current swingarm.
There is just something about the look of the bike in the video I like.
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2018, 07:28:28 by rohalloran »

Offline rohalloran

I personally love those mags, but you can easily swap to Kawasaki KZ mags to give you more of a Lester-like look.

So you reckon KZ mags like this would spap in handy enough? The current  front-end has a 16 inch front wheel so would need to make a 19 inch fit. Most likely change the whole front-end?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/KAWASAKI-Z750-KZ750E-1980-ON-REAR-WHEEL-J18xMT2-15/372293541321?hash=item56ae6c9dc9:g:CwMAAOSwo9Fa6OZt
https://www.ebay.ie/itm/1980-KAWASAKI-750-LTD-KZ750H-FRONT-WHEEL-RIM/272912831105?hash=item3f8adf5281:g:4YYAAOSwSrNZ-6JU

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
I agree with Irk and Teazer on the chassis swap.  It would be far easier and less expensive to find a good stock CB750 chassis if you really want a bike like the one in the video you posted.  The front end could be as easy as find a KZ front end with the same diameter forks as the CB and bolt it into the stock CB triple clamps.  The rear will be a little different but there are plenty of KZ rears with disc setup.  Look for late 70's, early 80's KZ1000 rear with a disc. 
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 73 Norton Commando, my 93" shovelhead chop, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline rohalloran

I agree with Irk and Teazer on the chassis swap.  It would be far easier and less expensive to find a good stock CB750 chassis if you really want a bike like the one in the video you posted.  The front end could be as easy as find a KZ front end with the same diameter forks as the CB and bolt it into the stock CB triple clamps.  The rear will be a little different but there are plenty of KZ rears with disc setup.  Look for late 70's, early 80's KZ1000 rear with a disc.

I came across this today when searching and now has me thinking the Kwacker front and rear could actually work really well if I can get the lines right.

http://raggedmoto.com/kawasaki-gpz750-retro/

Offline canyoncarver

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • 'hacking is learning'
IMHO.  It's a good looking bike but it needs honest street tires.  That bike is only "posing" as a tracker.  Dirt tires and cafe clipons just do not go together.   "cafe/tracker" isn't a thing.  my .02. 
--

YZF750/1000R The Fly
KZ 750 Twin
ZRX 1100
KZ400 The Rabbit
KLR650, 73 Norton Commando, my 93" shovelhead chop, an 86' FXR, and an F9 Bighorn
more YZF750R's, more KZ's, a Zephyr750...and the ever unfinished 75' CB550 cafe.
--

Offline rohalloran

IMHO.  It's a good looking bike but it needs honest street tires.  That bike is only "posing" as a tracker.  Dirt tires and cafe clipons just do not go together.   "cafe/tracker" isn't a thing.  my .02.

Yes I agree on the tires. It does give me food for though now on the monoshock.

Offline rohalloran

Took off the remaining items from the bike last night. Looks much better now without the handlebar risers, clocks etc. First up, different Kawasaki wheels.