www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Allow me to introduce myself  (Read 2494 times)

Offline SquidHunter

Re: Allow me to introduce myself
« Reply #10 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:33:46 »
If it was running w air/fuel adjusters all the way in.  Then it was running far from properly.  I donít know the particulars about those carbs nor how the air/fuel adjusters operate on them.  But thereís a pretty good chance it would be rich w them all the way in. 
If you have a Honda workshop manual it will explain how a/f adjusters operate on those carbs.
Yes, you need to check you got spark on the spark plugs your fitting.  Itís possible they are fouled.

Iíve always thought the air/fuel screws introduced air, like your describing. My shop pro, who went to MMI, and has been a motorcycle mechanic for nearly a decade, stomps up and down swearing they introduce fuel. His theory may hold some weight due to the fact that with screws all the way in the plugs were dry, and now they are soaked. But, the manual, in the Cb750f addendum, it says to start with a 1.5 turn on the mixture screws then adjust out according. I even tried turning the mix screws out some more, and still no crank. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Could it be way too rich with my jetting, now the carbs are actually clean? Maybe I just got lucky before now? I would be interested to know what others are running for just a 4 into 1 exhaust, stock filter, and airbox. Also, my slider pucks had some light scarring so I polished those up. Would that screw up the carbs?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #11 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:34:45 »
You're in good hands mate and in the right place.  Great looking ride, welcome from Montreal.  Is that your son wrenching on his ride too?  Kickass!

Hey! Thanks! Yep! Any time Iím working under the shade tree, he has to join me

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #12 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:42:14 »
Manual....

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=44399.msg484864#msg484864

Fortunately I have a hard copy. Itís worth itís weight in gold!

I canít find anything on weather or not the air/fuel screws introduce air, or fuel. Since itís on the engine side Iím thinking fuel?

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #13 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:43:43 »
Squidhunter, Both you and your MMI friend are correct, that is sometimes. Some carbs depending on brand and model, the mixture screws increases or decreases fuel, others they increase or decrease air. You need to know which kind you have to know what they are doing and generally there is a section in the manual that show which type they are. You could have richened it so much you fouled the plugs and can't get it to start anymore for sure. What is the stock jet size and stock needle, mixture settings? Go back to that, put fresh plugs in and start from there.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #14 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:44:37 »
If it was running w air/fuel adjusters all the way in.  Then it was running far from properly.  I donít know the particulars about those carbs nor how the air/fuel adjusters operate on them.  But thereís a pretty good chance it would be rich w them all the way in. 
If you have a Honda workshop manual it will explain how a/f adjusters operate on those carbs.
Yes, you need to check you got spark on the spark plugs your fitting.  Itís possible they are fouled.

It was definitely far from right. It sounded ok (not happy tho), but when I started trying to sync the carbs I knew something was wrong. Thatís why I pulled them the second time

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
Allow me to introduce myself
« Reply #15 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:48:06 »
Iíve always thought the air/fuel screws introduced air, like your describing. My shop pro, who went to MMI, and has been a motorcycle mechanic for nearly a decade, stomps up and down swearing they introduce fuel. His theory may hold some weight due to the fact that with screws all the way in the plugs were dry, and now they are soaked. But, the manual, in the Cb750f addendum, it says to start with a 1.5 turn on the mixture screws then adjust out according. I even tried turning the mix screws out some more, and still no crank. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Could it be way too rich with my jetting, now the carbs are actually clean? Maybe I just got lucky before now? I would be interested to know what others are running for just a 4 into 1 exhaust, stock filter, and airbox. Also, my slider pucks had some light scarring so I polished those up. Would that screw up the carbs?

Depending on carb type, the screws could be either air or fuel adjusters

Example, mikuni VM carb has a fuel screw.
Example 2, gs750 carbs have an air screw.

Look and see if you can follow the passage leading to the adjustment screw, if it goes into the bowl itís fuel, if it goes to the carb throat (at the entrance) itís air.

Your manual should tell you what it controls in the carburetor section.

Haha maritime beat me to it
You have an air screw on those carbs,
Note how the passage goes up to the air inlet.
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2018, 14:51:40 by farmer92 »

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #16 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:53:55 »
Squidhunter, Both you and your MMI friend are correct, that is sometimes. Some carbs depending on brand and model, the mixture screws increases or decreases fuel, others they increase or decrease air. You need to know which kind you have to know what they are doing and generally there is a section in the manual that show which type they are. You could have richened it so much you fouled the plugs and can't get it to start anymore for sure. What is the stock jet size and stock needle, mixture settings? Go back to that, put fresh plugs in and start from there.

Thatís what Iím thinking. Go back to the stock jets and start over. The second go around I did originally set the mixture screws by the book. If anyone is interested: my carbs are the VBAB or ďBĒ set. The setting are listed under the 1980 F model addendum.

2nd go around: bike was cold, I choked the carbs turned ignition, gas it some gas.... nothing. I then unchoked the carbs, hit the ignition and it fired and died. After that I couldnít get anything.

At this point itís sounding more and more like the plugs. They are iridium plugs. I did take them out, and clean them on the wire wheel. Still got nothing. Could they be fouled without anything being visible to indicate they were? Like an internal foul 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #17 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:57:34 »

Depending on carb type, the screws could be either air or fuel adjusters

Example, mikuni VM carb has a fuel screw.
Example 2, gs750 carbs have an air screw.

Look and see if you can follow the passage leading to the adjustment screw, if it goes into the bowl itís fuel, if it goes to the carb throat (at the entrance) itís air.

Your manual should tell you what it controls in the carburetor section.

Haha maritime beat me to it
You have an air screw on those carbs,
Note how the passage goes up to the air inlet.

Iíve always thought they were air too. When I blow through them, it comes out in the float bowl

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #18 on: Jun 18, 2018, 14:59:59 »
Depending on the type of irdium a wire wheel can wreck them and they won't work, easy enough to test. put on in a wire, ground it to the engine and turn over bike, fat blue spark they're fine. yellow weak or no spark they're toast. Get the old school NGK standard plugs until you get it right, they are easier to clean and cheaper too.

manual says D8EA just like a billion other Hondas.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline farmer92

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #19 on: Jun 18, 2018, 15:12:10 »
You can never clean a spark plug
It will work for a little while, but in the end it will foul so much easier.
Just drop the 5$ a piece and replace them to eliminate that possibility.

What do you mean when you blow through them?
You removed the screws and blew into them?
It would come out the pilot jet and air inlet if they are air screws.