www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: BMW R90/6 Cafe  (Read 10883 times)

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
Re: BMW R90/6 Cafe
« Reply #170 on: Jan 11, 2019, 11:47:32 »
I just read through your whole thread.  Very nice shaping work! 

Can you confirm the alloy, you mention 5054 but I only know 5052?  What filler rod?  On the upper half of the tank did you grind off the welds before planishing?  Did you weld inside and out?

I struggle to get panels smooth enough to polish, I'd like to talk to you some time about how to read the panels well enough to to that.

Thanks!

I use 3003 aluminum, with 1100 filler rod. The 5054 comment was not from me.

I donít usually grind my welds before planishing, unless I have a high-weld spot where I may have dipped too much filler. When tig welding, I run a fusion weld on the backside wherever I can. Gas welding is a better process for shaping, Iím just not as good as Iíd like to be yet.

As far as finishing panels for polishing, itís pretty simple, just takes practice. Iíd be happy to help you out if I can. Do you use Instagram? If so, look me up Catskill_Mtn_Customs, and send me a message.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #171 on: Jan 11, 2019, 15:17:54 »
A few more shots.

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #172 on: Jan 11, 2019, 16:30:22 »
Damn I wish this was staying brushed!  But I totally understand now why you're painting it and no doubt that'll look killer too.  Avante!
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #173 on: Jan 12, 2019, 18:02:30 »
Damn I wish this was staying brushed!  But I totally understand now why you're painting it and no doubt that'll look killer too.  Avante!

Thanks man. Now the owner is asking about leaving it brushed or polished...

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #174 on: Mar 02, 2019, 18:56:04 »
Sorry for going MIA for a bit. 2019 is off to a busy start.

Iíve been plugging away on the bmw. A lot of the work over the past few weeks has been the small boring stuff, but I do have a few interesting updates.

The big one I think a lot of you will be happy to see is a polished tank. I know, Iíve gone on and on about why this tank wonít be polished. Well, my customer caught the polished bug and asked if there is any way I could make it happen. I went over the possible issues, everything Iíve explained here, and we ultimately decided to give it a try. I proceeded very carefully, had to cut an access hole in the tunnel to do some more slapper/dolly work. Here is the results.

After that the bike was torn apart.

A pile of handmade parts.

The frame was finish welded and sent off to powder coat. Here it is with the additional bracing in place.

Today I dug into to engine, and overall Iím pretty happy with what I found.

Now that I can access the engine Iíll be making final part lists, placing orders, and refinishing parts until Iíve got everything to rebuild the motor.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #175 on: Mar 02, 2019, 18:59:04 »
A sneak peek of my idea to add a splash of color. Possibly leave all the aluminum brushed with this stripe pattern.

Offline trek97

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #176 on: Mar 02, 2019, 23:14:58 »
Absolutely OUT OF THIS WORLD

Offline wozza

« Reply #177 on: Mar 03, 2019, 01:50:14 »
Hubba Hubba :)

Offline Pete12

« Reply #178 on: Mar 03, 2019, 06:21:36 »
That looks really nice just with the painted stripe on the polished alloy, sweet.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #179 on: Mar 03, 2019, 13:51:24 »
Absolutely OUT OF THIS WORLD

Haha thanks!