www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: BMW R90/6 Cafe  (Read 15377 times)

Offline The Limey

• Evil English Villain
Re: BMW R90/6 Cafe
« Reply #160 on: Nov 06, 2018, 15:26:22 »
That's look awesome.  Lovely proportions, sympathetic lines, stunning workmanship.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #161 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:41:42 »
Ahh man, thats one car that I will own someday. I'm working on a 1970 Westfalia Camper right now, and I have a 1970 Karmann Ghia chassis with a '68 donor body that I'm going to build into a baja.

Yeah it was a fun car. Very cool projects, I want that camper!

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #162 on: Nov 07, 2018, 06:44:56 »
That's look awesome.  Lovely proportions, sympathetic lines, stunning workmanship.

Thank you!

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #163 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:29:03 »
Sorry for the lack of recent updates, my second kid was born so I checked out for a bit.
I did manage to get some work done, and the bike is just about ready to be broken down for final welding, paint and coatings. 

The seat pan is ready for foam and upholstery. I came up with these aluminum retainers that work to hold down the main seat support, and pressure fit into rubber grommets in the seat pan so it can be popped off for battery access.

I also machined a small backing plate to attach the speedometer magnet to the front brake rotor. I could have drilled and tapped the rotor, but this way the magnet can be easily moved if the rotor needs to be replaced.

Finally I finished up the removable frame support braces. The tabs shouldnít get in the way of engine removal.

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #164 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:31:45 »
A few pictures before it all comes apart.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #165 on: Jan 10, 2019, 09:26:12 »
lovely.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #166 on: Jan 10, 2019, 10:11:04 »
Thanks man for your informative posts, I learnt a lot from reading them.  I've silversmith'd in a past life and know a little about working with metal, and hope to work on some panels for a bike I'm working on at the moment.  Really appreciate your insight, and really enjoying watching your bike come to life.  Great work.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #167 on: Jan 10, 2019, 19:53:53 »

Offline ncologerojr

• Catskill Mtn. Customs
« Reply #168 on: Jan 10, 2019, 19:57:07 »
Thanks man for your informative posts, I learnt a lot from reading them.  I've silversmith'd in a past life and know a little about working with metal, and hope to work on some panels for a bike I'm working on at the moment.  Really appreciate your insight, and really enjoying watching your bike come to life.  Great work.

Thanks so much man! I love learning new metal skills, and I always enjoy talking about it to anyone thatís interested. Donít hesitate to ask if youíd like to know more about something, Iím happy to help if I can.

Offline sandmanred

« Reply #169 on: Jan 11, 2019, 09:00:01 »
I just read through your whole thread.  Very nice shaping work! 

Can you confirm the alloy, you mention 5054 but I only know 5052?  What filler rod?  On the upper half of the tank did you grind off the welds before planishing?  Did you weld inside and out?

I struggle to get panels smooth enough to polish, I'd like to talk to you some time about how to read the panels well enough to to that.