the Black Knight, a 400four tale.

Re: 400 four, Plan B engine

A friend of mine from work described a rat rot to me as "a vehicle that is more focused on running right and proper rather than looking good."

So something that has all the go fast bits, runs like a top and doesn't matter how the parts look so long as the function.

New wheel, clean frame and rack matter not. Ignore the aesthetics and work on the mechanical. See where it comes to in the end.

Re: 400 four, Plan B engine

Brodie said:
A friend of mine from work described a rat rot to me as "a vehicle that is more focused on running right and proper rather than looking good."

So something that has all the go fast bits, runs like a top and doesn't matter how the parts look so long as the function.

New wheel, clean frame and rack matter not. Ignore the aesthetics and work on the mechanical. See where it comes to in the end.

Precisely Dr Quest!!!

11494-260818191447.png

Re: 400 four, Morale TANKED.

I swear to god, this is not my very first build. But, it sure feels like it is. ::)

Fresh...

11494-030918073110-4303737.jpeg

So after finding the bent front rim I scoured over the rear to ensure it was good for new tire.

Mounted and getting ready to replace bearings and sprocket. Flipped it over, I find THIS!!!

I pounded and pounded but just ended up ordering another. :mad:

11494-030918073111-43052475.jpeg

Re: 400 - four, Morale TANKED

Good move... that rim was pretty janky looking compared to the other.

Its weird the front was only bent on the left side and rear was only bent on the right side.

Sorta makes me wonder if they weren't bent during a tire install by some ham fisted previous owner w a crow bar.

Hope you get it ready for barbers. It’s a cool moment when you see a build in real life, that you’ve been following online.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

How do you know that it didn't get bent when the new rubber got mounted?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have to agree on the Rat Rod definition. I'm thinking about a CB740F near me that looks like the tank has been on fire. Plastics look like crap on it, but might make a great running bike.

SquidHunter said:
Hope you get it ready for barbers. It’s a cool moment when you see a build in real life, that you’ve been following online.

Probably won’t happen at this point. As the new rim may not be here til next Monday. And my clutch tools/parts haven’t shipped from David silver spares yet. Ordered last week.

Hurco550 said:
How do you know that it didn't get bent when the new rubber got mounted?

I was the one doing the work. ;)
Tim has the nice tire changing machine and helps.

400-four, Not so RAT ROD.

pidjones said:
I have to agree on the Rat Rod definition. I'm thinking about a CB740F near me that looks like the tank has been on fire. Plastics look like crap on it, but might make a great running bike.

Yep its official, I suck at building rat rods... :mad:

11494-060918201316-4310343.png

Along w brand new fork tubes, arriving soon... ::)

11494-060918201316-43061628.png

Re: 400-four, Not so RAT ROD.

I mean..... those are important bits tho ‍♂️. Just because it’s “ratty” doesn’t mean it should also ride like crap. Seems like a good investment to me.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

SquidHunter said:
I mean..... those are important bits tho ‍♂️. Just because it’s “ratty” doesn’t mean it should also ride like crap. Seems like a good investment to me.

Oh if I just had any balls at all I would rust the items to see my vision through.
But I just don’t have it in me to do it.
However, the tubes I got are in usable condition w a little cleaning of the pits. I may just put the new pair on the shelf for later.
I don’t want to mess up the chrome springs on the Hagons....or do I ?

IMHO, a Rat Rod does not need to be devoid of chrome and new bits. It says "I care about performance, not appearance" and shows it. Lots of decals and such are a plus, if they are like STP, Champion, and Moon. Rat Bikes should show similar things.

More parts. This should be it, minus fork tubes. AND anything unforseen.
Fedex "should" be here w rear rim today.

11494-080918084326.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom