www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: Make/mold a fiberglass full fairing?  (Read 2160 times)

Offline tahitianrider

• tomracingdesigns.com
Re: Make/mold a fiberglass full fairing?
« Reply #30 on: Jul 19, 2018, 17:11:06 »
Gel Coat is optimal. But, if you're not building a mold, and more building your part directly off the plug, a royal pain in the ass.

I'm not a huge fan of bondo in glass. Glass flexes, ever so slightly, and that can and will pop bondo patches loose and ruin a nice paint job.

Oh okay I now see the difference between a mold and a plug!! sorry for my misunderstanding of some of your post but I'm french and my english is far from perfect so I didn't understood the difference between the mold and plug.

I'm more into making a plug than a mold then, a mold won't make much sense as part of it is the steel gas tank itself than I will re use. So I'm making a plug.

So I guess the Duratec product you were mentioning is the duratec primer? Found out that it was a brand making many different produts
'94 BMW K75 Racer
'84 Yamaha XJ 600 "Rocket" Racer
'76 CB 360 old school cafe
'96 CM 125 Brat bike
'80 CX 500 soon to be racer
'K15 MT-07 "The only bike I can actually use everyday" lol
www.tomracingdesigns.com

Offline themotoworks

• the motoworks
« Reply #31 on: Jul 19, 2018, 18:26:15 »
coming from a design standpoint, I'd say you're getting overzealous in your desire to start throwing fiberglass at something.  if you want a fairing that will work, take some pictures of the bike, front, side, top, use those as reference for some sketches, show them to other people, show them here, sketch until you're satisfied with the design after being scrutinized by people other than just you, then take those sketches and turn them into a wire model on the bike, I like to use 1/8" crs rod and a mig welder, it makes things fast and the wire bends enough to curve it to lay out your important curves, then you can build on those curves with more rod until you've got a mesh on the bike that looks like the sketches you were happy with.  at that point, you can skin it in tin foil and throw some fiberglass on it, or laser scan and bring into cad, whichever your process, getting the design intent is the most important, if you're too quick to throw material at something, then you're going to have a weird looking thing that tells more about how it was made than what it was intended to look like... just my $.02, it's your bike

Offline tahitianrider

• tomracingdesigns.com
« Reply #32 on: Jul 19, 2018, 19:02:23 »
Well, having very little ressource avaiable, and a small budget (I dont even have a garage, I'm working on a parking spot in my basement without electricity, I use a 12v battery for light...) and since I've built 3 cafe racer bike that way, I now have a more practical approach...

For example in my built I never did anything required angle grinders or a welder... Well because I do not have any of those. So I try to find ways around...

Same goes here, I've made some sketch or ideal fairings.. but I prefer to update them on the build process when I see what I CAN do and what I can't.. this is m'y practical approach... Not being to ambitious about something and learn by doing.

I would not bé able to do any of thé things you mention because I dont have the ressources for that.
And as for the design of the fairing, as long as I like it, I dont see the problem... You know taste and colors...

'94 BMW K75 Racer
'96 CM 125 Brat bike
www.tomracingdesigns.com

Offline themotoworks

• the motoworks
« Reply #33 on: Jul 19, 2018, 20:32:07 »
yup, spot on, keep at it

Online advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #34 on: Jul 20, 2018, 00:14:06 »
I hope all this talk isn't discouraging you. I like the concept and if you're happy with the look then I say glass that sucker.

You can always make another version if you aren't quite happy with the turnout.  8)
"He broke the mirrors off his Cadillac, 'cause he doesn't like it looking like he looks back."

74 CB360 - Luna - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=63294.0 - Sold
82 GS550L - Tracker-ish - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=67229.0 - Sold
74 XL350 - The Turd - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=70252.0 - Sold
Suzuki FA50 "No-Ped" - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=71189.0
73 Suzuki RV125 -http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=73875.0
'97 BMW F650st - http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=75732.0

Offline Psycrow

« Reply #35 on: Jul 20, 2018, 03:22:09 »
I hope all this talk isn't discouraging you. I like the concept and if you're happy with the look then I say glass that sucker.

You can always make another version if you aren't quite happy with the turnout.  8)
And Get some experience along the way!

Psy

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Offline tahitianrider

• tomracingdesigns.com
« Reply #36 on: Jul 22, 2018, 06:44:25 »
Yeah getting some experience is always about and the best part about those projects :)

I'm not too sure what I can add.  If you go back to the unfinished pictures of the seat I made, you should be able to get an idea of what the foam looked like before I added the glass.  Referencing only the cowl portion here, there is almost no finishing work at all on the glass work - just a quick block sanding.  There are only 2 layers of extremely fine cloth - you can see through it quite well despite the sanding which makes the glass work much more opaque.  The joints between the foam blocks is quite obvious, and you can see where some of the underside fiberglass base more or less intersects with the exterior shape and needed some Bondo  to fair the foam.  It was pretty fussy to to end up with a smooth and fair shape with these materials of contrasting hardness, but worth all the effort because the glass work needed almost no massaging to be right.  Nonetheless, it is still much, MUCH easier to get the foam shaped perfectly than the fiberglass!  It's also hugely cheaper, though if you are using polyester resin this is not too painful.  I use (and recommend highly) epoxy, which is massively better for a variety of reasons, but around 8 times more expensive. 
I think you will learn all of this on your own and make your own determination of what works best for you and where your time needs to be invested.  To that end, I would recommend a smaller project, like the seat you have mocked up.  If you proceed like you have on the fairing, certainly you can glass over your form and eventually end up with a nice part.  But you will see that you have to do a very great deal of work to the fiberglass to get there, and your part will be ridiculously heavy.  That may not be especially important, but your fairing is very large, and very high on the bike and not the best place for excessive weight. 
Regardless, perseverance will get the job done, it's just a LOT easier to put the work in early on the form/mold.

Sorry I think I missed this answer for some reason, yeah you are perfectly right, but since I got there (with a lot of time and effort) I'm thinking : I might as well just glass my what I have with my polyester resin and MAT, this would be a nice practice run, see how it goes, see how I can improve the proces... and it would not take me much time compared to having to remove all that stuff from the bike anyway.
It was also my idea when I ordered my resin/fiber, Epoxy is great but as you said it would have cost me 8 times more money, my idea was to first make a practice one, which cheap components (polyester) and when I learn, get some experience and see what can be improved, go for an epoxy one.

I'm now ready to glass the fairing, I did remove all the duck tape from the front piece, sanded it down more to make the foam better, then covered everything with packing tape (although packing tape do not stick well on foam), I then covered everything with release wax. We'll see how it goes
'94 BMW K75 Racer
'96 CM 125 Brat bike
www.tomracingdesigns.com

Offline tahitianrider

• tomracingdesigns.com
« Reply #37 on: Jul 22, 2018, 06:45:27 »
Here is the thing before glassing
« Last Edit: Jul 22, 2018, 06:48:23 by tahitianrider »
'94 BMW K75 Racer
'96 CM 125 Brat bike
www.tomracingdesigns.com

Offline XS750AU

• DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #38 on: Jul 22, 2018, 07:29:57 »
Just looking at it - assume you are going to need to remove the handle bars to remove the fairing from the bike?
“Engineering is the art of being approximately right rather than exactly wrong.”

Yamaha XS750-2D
Yamaha XS896
Husaberg FE550
Yamaha TT250
Yamaha IT200N

Offline tahitianrider

• tomracingdesigns.com
« Reply #39 on: Jul 22, 2018, 15:29:53 »
Ok so I started glassing it up, to be honnest I was kinda discouraged before starting knowing that it would not look great... but whatever, I though it would be a great thing to do to learn, learn how the fiberglass clotch react to resin and how to place it around edges (I've never done glass work before), what is the best shapes to cut the fiberglass cloth pieces etc.

So I did the first layer only today, I used the 160gr fiberglass cloth I had an 400gr of resin. I will be doing 2 more layers tommorrow or the next days. I had a breathing mask but couldn't stay any longer in that parking lot full of resin vapor I was starting to feel dizzy, it took me so long to glass only the first layer...

It's hard to tell if it looks good or not right now as the fiberglass is perfectly transparent, some areas look really smooth and clean, others not really.

Just looking at it - assume you are going to need to remove the handle bars to remove the fairing from the bike?

Yes that is the idea
'94 BMW K75 Racer
'96 CM 125 Brat bike
www.tomracingdesigns.com