www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1982 CB750F... The resto-not  (Read 33607 times)

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Re: 1982 CB750F... The resto-not
« Reply #170 on: Dec 19, 2018, 13:13:44 »
I don't know why either - seems like an over-zealous PO took out their frustrations on the valve cover at some point.  Steel and aluminium - bad combo if you've eaten too many Weetabix.
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #171 on: Jan 02, 2019, 17:18:47 »
Happy new year one and all.  Here comes another fucker...let's hope it's a goody.

Ok, still cleaning up the engine.  It's not the most exciting work.  So, until there's more exciting things to document, discuss and report on here are a bunch of photos of the lump in different positions on my workbench.

I like this picture.  The engine looks like its just given up, and face-planted...

Degreaser, soapy water and a fuckload of brake cleaner.  Ran out of all three so the first Canadian Tire trip of 2019 looms large.  I'm gonna be painting this thing eventually - it's been painted once before.  I hesitate to say badly as I've never painted an engine before.  For all I know it's really really hard to paint an engine and whoever did it did a pretty damn good job.  But it certainly doesn't look great - the paint is peeling in places and there are runs all over the thing.  Any and all input on How To Paint A Motorcycle Engine will be very gratefully received.

Oh, and my Mum gave me the three ratcheting wrenches I was missing for Christmas.  Go the Mums.

Online pidjones

« Reply #172 on: Jan 02, 2019, 18:53:15 »
On my GL1000 engine I used two different engine cleaners, and one worked muck better (but I don't recall which). I also did a final soap and water bath, rinse, and finished with isopropyl alcohol. I brush painted it with POR-15 engine paint (but then I really dig the MG Maroon color that is available in it). Seems really well adhered and tough.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #173 on: Jan 02, 2019, 22:08:14 »
S100.  That's all I'm gonna say. 

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
1982 CB750F... The resto-not
« Reply #174 on: Jan 02, 2019, 22:32:49 »
Oh shit. Totally forgot I had some of that stuff. I bought some last year and shelved it - is it a good de-greaser as well?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #175 on: Jan 02, 2019, 22:35:51 »
Pretty sure it's a de-everything cleaner.  You might have to take a stiff nylon brush to areas where there's a lot of build up, or the dirt/oil barnacles, but it all comes clean. 

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #176 on: Jan 02, 2019, 22:41:17 »
 Brilliant, thanks for the reminder

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #177 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:53:13 »
I recommend giving everything a final wipe down with acetone before paint. It works great to get any residual grease or oil from your hands, etc off the aluminum.

Also, I typically have a motor broken down and paint the pieces individually, but since you're painting it mostly together I would pop off the left and ride case covers, mask the gasket surfaces off and paint them separately. That way, you don't have covers that you may need to remove one day "painted in" to the cases resulting in cracks and chips when you pull them.

Online Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #178 on: Jan 03, 2019, 09:59:18 »
That was the plan mate - pull off the side covers (plus the oil filter cover, valve cover, starter motor cover and a few others), mask the thing up and have at it.  The engine's been painted before - do I need to get all that paint off first, or is it enough to rub down the rough spots, knock off the loose stuff, hit everything with primer and then the VHT?

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #179 on: Jan 03, 2019, 10:10:40 »
That was the plan mate - pull off the side covers (plus the oil filter cover, valve cover, starter motor cover and a few others), mask the thing up and have at it.  The engine's been painted before - do I need to get all that paint off first, or is it enough to rub down the rough spots, knock off the loose stuff, hit everything with primer and then the VHT?

I'd get all the flaking crap off and see what it looks like. If you have chipped spots they will need to be sanded down and blended or you'll see them in the paint. You'd probably only notice it in the flatter areas like side covers, the top of the cases etc. If its really bad you may want to remove all the paint with aircraft stripper or other paint stripper, just be sure its safe for aluminum.