www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: 1982 CB750F... The resto-not  (Read 33434 times)

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
Re: 1982 CB750F... The resto-not
« Reply #410 on: Mar 07, 2019, 21:48:27 »
D'oh.  Remove it before baking!  I scare myself sometimes. 
"I'm telling you Donnie, nuthin' but nuthin' but right"

Offline advCo

• DTT BOTM WINNER
  • Nick Ol' Eye
    • adventur Studios
« Reply #411 on: Mar 07, 2019, 23:50:03 »
D'oh.  Remove it before baking!  I scare myself sometimes.

I always try to pull tape when the paint is still pretty fresh, too. Usually whenever the can says "dries to the touch". I've seen some paints (rattle can) that like to chip if you pull the tape after its cured for a day. But that also could have been caused other factors.

Who knows? But that's how I do it anyways.

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #412 on: Mar 08, 2019, 10:46:44 »
Removing the tape before baking is absolutely what I'll do.  Just feel a bit daft asking a question with such an obvious answer.  Still, no such thing as a silly question - something I have to remind myself when I have a d'oh moment  :o

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #413 on: Mar 08, 2019, 11:19:48 »
I always try to pull tape when the paint is still pretty fresh, too. Usually whenever the can says "dries to the touch". I've seen some paints (rattle can) that like to chip if you pull the tape after its cured for a day. But that also could have been caused other factors.

Who knows? But that's how I do it anyways.
+ one or even a little sooner, nothing worse than pulling tape and having an edge flake off a nice clean job.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #414 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:14:22 »
After a closer look at the mating surfaces on the cylinder block and head, it's clear that they're going to need a bit of a hone to clean them up a bit.  Plan is to tape some sandpaper onto the granite countertop in the kitchen (before or after the missus cooks her breakfast - all bets are off.  If this is my last post, she wasn't happy), lower the mating surface onto it and give it a clean. 

What would be the best grade sandpaper to use?  I'm thinking 1000 grit?

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #415 on: Mar 10, 2019, 12:21:50 »
Finished up the fins on the head -

Filed them to get a flat profile (cheers for the tip Maritime), sanded them (400, 600, 1000 then 2000) and then polished (red compound ("tripoli"), then white compound ("diamond") then Autosol).  Came up aces.

Offline Maritime

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #416 on: Mar 10, 2019, 13:08:27 »
Nice. And I cant take credit. I read to file somewhere on the vastness of the interwebs LOL. Just passed it on after trying it.
The GL Rebirth: http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=68337.0
CX500 Low budget Bobber : http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=43617.0
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" -Henry Lawson
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #417 on: Mar 11, 2019, 12:31:31 »
Well, yesterday was mating surfaces day.  Turns out, you never see mating surfaces day coming.  One minute you're in front of the telly watching footie with a mate, the next you're taping sand paper to the kitchen countertops.  Mating surfaces day.  You never see it coming.

I ended up using 240 grit first, then 400.  Asked Mrs K if she was cool with me bringing half my engine into the kitchen and having at it with a couple sheets of sandpaper, and when I say asked I mean didn't ask.  Taped up the paper like so -

and lowered the cylinder block onto it.  For the first time since remodelling the kitchen I found myself agreeing with my wife that there wasn't enough counterspace (I didn't know what the hell she was talking about - now I do) - really could've used another sheet in there for more of a "slide".  No matter, it's all good.  Here's what it looked like before -

and here's the after -

Not perfect (couldn't shift those couple of darker areas) but a load better.  Pretty sure I can live with it.

The head was a bit trickier - the exhaust studs stuck out a little too far and meant I'd fuck up the granite in double quick time.  Had a re-think, dug out a collage my lovely and highly arty wife made for me years ago and taped some paper to that instead -

- the thick glass made it perfect for getting into the hard to reach places and kept a uniform flat surface.  Don't have a before an after of the head but it came up good too.  Hauled everything back into the garage, got out a stanley and cleaned up the gasket from the cylinder block -

Surfaces...mated.  Ready for mating anyway.

Online irk miller

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
  • You've been mostly-dead all day.
« Reply #418 on: Mar 11, 2019, 14:24:33 »
Just curious, but did you check the true on that countertop?  Curious how close it is to a proper surface plate.  Most surface plates are several inches thick to accommodate flex from the surface it sits on, as well as being ground to within .0000025"

Offline Jimbonaut

• DTT BOTM WINNER
    • Lost Apostle
« Reply #419 on: Mar 11, 2019, 14:28:22 »
Also dug out the large o-rings that sit in the recesses around each cylinder underneath the block.  They were no longer rubber - snapped like plastic as I pried them out.  35 years will do that to an o-ring.

Thanks to a care package that arrived last week (cheers Maritime) I now have my repro Triumph bars, stainless engine bolts, valve cover bolt seals and powdercoat samples.  Really threw a curveball at myself when deciding about a colour for the frame, but wanted to try something a little different.  The tank is going to be a green gold, and I think I'm going with this for the frame -

It's pretty much black, but looks gold in some angles.  Could work, one way to find out.
« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2019, 14:31:26 by The Jimbonaut »