www.cognitomoto.com

https://www.townmoto.com/collections/vanson-leathers

www.speedmotoco.com

www.CITYLIMITMOTO.com

www.jadusmotorcycleparts.com

www.lostapostlejewelry.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.pistonsociety.com

Author Topic: Dohc Cb750f: possibly a valve issue  (Read 10493 times)

Offline pidjones

Re: Dohc Cb750f: possibly a valve issue
« Reply #140 on: Jul 09, 2019, 01:31:28 »
For polishing.... aluminum? My drill press with belt changed for highest speed and abrasive loaded plastic fiber wheel (for really rough) followed by hand wet sanding with 240 >>>2000 grit followed by cotton buffing wheel on the drill press and jeweler's rouge. All available at Harbor Freight. Patience and elbow grease you supply yourself.
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline teazer

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • DTT BOTM WINNER
« Reply #141 on: Jul 09, 2019, 02:25:12 »
10" sewn wheel running at 3,000 revs and use gray (emery) abrasive which they say is for stainless.  It should cut through the old laquer and scratches like you cannot believe.  Wear gloves and eye protection and hold on tight. Buffing wheels can throw parts across the room if the dig in.

After that go straight to a loose wheel with white rouge and bring up the color.  Only use wet and dry paper if there is a lot of metal to be removed - and it's still quicker usually to just buff.

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #142 on: Jul 17, 2019, 12:23:14 »
10" stitched cotton wheels takes a hell of a big motor to turn.  I use 8" on a 1.5hp motor and can easily  stall it out. You don't need to sand to 2000 grit, I find  6~800 plenty when using dark grey or black compound. Use 'loose' cotton wheels and brown compo for primary  finishing and an 'open' soft cotton wheel to get mirror finish (also lasts a lot longer between polishing's). Solvol or Mothers is actually too rough for a real good shine after mirror polishing and will dull surface leaving scratches,  Use old well used cotton T-shirts, they are softer than re-cycled plastic
  If you going to use an electric drill, use 3"~5" surface speed on smaller ones is always too low for a good finish mops. 
  Sand any real rough stuff with 80 grit first then work up to finer stuff. If you can remove covers (or have spares) use a larger wheel. I often use stitched Sisal with emery compound if I'm not doing any sanding.   
 Basically you try a higher grit depending on original surface finish, cast or pitted need very rough to cut it down, 'factory' finishes you can generally start with 240 after removing any lacquer or paint.
   You can also make emery wheels if you get water based cutting compound, just soften the compound, add a little PVA glue then rotate wheels through 'mud' and allow to dry on the wheel. To reduce cut use ordinary red/brown compound.
  The alloy polishing set at HF isn't very good but can be made to work.
  Black emery compound from Home Depot is better than any of the other cheap sticks. If your going to do it properly you need to get stuff from Caswell but they are a little pricey sometimes.   Oh, BTW, it's great to hear you finally got bike running properly  8)
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2019, 12:29:36 by crazypj »
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #143 on: Jul 18, 2019, 01:03:11 »
Caswell makes polishing compound? Interesting. I used their tank liner and it was the bees knees. I値l never use anything else. It was 50 bucks, but it did the job right. I imagine their other products are up to par.
Yeah, the bike has been running phenomenal. I am starting to get some of the typical carb symptoms though. I know it痴 coming. I did run some Teflon through a tank. Seems to have made an improvement. I got a big bottle, so I値l run about 4 oz every three tanks or so and see how it goes. I知 thinking I should check the sync for sure. I知 getting the dreaded clutch chatter

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #144 on: Jul 18, 2019, 23:06:36 »
So today, I get the bike out to tinker with the carbs, I go to start it up and I can稚 get it to fire. So I知 like 都crew it, I値l pull the carbs. With the tank off I found my issue. Bank 3 and 4 choke butterflies weren稚 moving. The spring was attached it was just sticking. After I pulled the carbs and fixed that issue, I warmed the bike up good and resynced the carbs..... mmmm mm,  buddy she purrs like a kitten. Clutch chatter gone. Idle set perfect at 1100 rpm. And for the first time I did it in under an hour. I hate to say it, but these bike will teach you a carburetor lesson or two

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #145 on: Jul 21, 2019, 23:41:11 »
Since the bike has been running good, I decided to figure out the pannier situation. The last trip I took, I used some soft bags that threw over the seat. They actually held too much stuff. I didn稚 use half of it, and they made the bike heavy. They were also sliding up on me as I braked, and I couldn稚 use my grab bars to get the bike on the center stand. Pain in the ass packing and unpacking every day. So here痴 my idea, and I just used stuff I already had. I cut two sides off a milk crate. I know how it sounds and looks, but as far as functionality goes it痴 perfect. I can strap all kinds of stuff to them. I mounted them on some bar mounts, and zip tied the bottom corner to the passenger peg for stability (temporarily, but it actually works well). I used to own a photography business, so I致e got some nanuk 910 cases laying around. Rok strap that sucker on the panel and go. I like the idea of using things that are easy to come by, in case something happens on a trip I can easily find replacements. My plan is to pack one of my 910s with a film camera set up. The other one will probably be my jet boil and coffee set up or maybe tools, id like the weight to be even. Then I値l use a roll top on the tail. I知 pretty close to figuring out a tail rack made out of tire spoons that you could use in a pinch, but I知 not quite there yet

Offline pidjones

« Reply #146 on: Jul 22, 2019, 08:52:12 »
Wish I'd known your need a couple months ago. I'd have given you my rat bike rack instead of selling it on the bike. Rear racks are sooo useful!
"Love 'em all.... Let God sort 'em out!"

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #147 on: Jul 22, 2019, 09:05:27 »
I had a rear rack for mine, and now I can稚 find the damn thing. The original panniers too. They were pretty rough though

Offline crazypj

• Split personality, I fake being smart
« Reply #148 on: Jul 22, 2019, 16:41:32 »
Wow, the original Honda rack and panniers were designed for the bike and look much better than most aftermarket. Even rough they would be a great addition. I've always preferred panniers to a rear rack, never liked having weight way up high and way far back. Really messes up the handling
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'
Best thing I ever overheard
"yep, PJ's my boss, he taught me everything I know, just didn't teach me everything he knows"
Brian Morgan, 1982

CB360's,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11736.0
XS650,  http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=11922.0

Offline SquidHunter

« Reply #149 on: Jul 22, 2019, 22:03:32 »
Wow, the original Honda rack and panniers were designed for the bike and look much better than most aftermarket. Even rough they would be a great addition. I've always preferred panniers to a rear rack, never liked having weight way up high and way far back. Really messes up the handling

I値l have to find them. I had them in storage, then when we moved back everything is everywhere. I never could get the tail rack to match up right after I took it off. I must have misplaced some pieces. The panniers were already off the bike. They were really rough. I was sure they wouldn稚 keep water out, which is a deal breaker for me. My ultimate goal has always been to be able to carry some photo gear. Either way, I do need to locate them