Need Cheaper Alternative To Autocad

johnu

Over 1,000 Posts
DTT BOTM WINNER
I am looking for a cheap alternative to Autocad. I used autocad for about ten years at my work and had it on my own personal computer but I haven't had that for a while now. Last release I used was 2007.
I now need to start drawing parts again (only 2d) and looked at getting autocad lt but $350 per year is way out of my price range. Is there anything cheap out there that operates similar to autocad (similar commands). I would like to be able to use it on my laptop and also import some of my old autocad (dwg) drawings in to modify. I don't want to spend a lot of time learning a new system if possible.
Any suggestions???

I had a hard time finding a free 2D CAD program that was even remotely usable.

Autodesk is free if you have an .edu email address. Thats about all I know.

Fusion and OnShape are good for 3D and both free, I have never used Fusion but Onshape had quite a bit of a learning curve for me (I work in AutoCAD every day and have been 3D modeling for over 10 years)

Let us know if you find anything.

DRAFTSIGHT!!!!!!!

it is free and it is an almost direct copy of autocad 2d. I use it daily. If you liked autocad, you will like draftsight. The commands are nearly identical, and there is only a slight learning curve picking it up vs autocad.

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

Hurco550 said:
DRAFTSIGHT!!!!!!!

it is free and it is an almost direct copy of autocad 2d. I use it daily. If you liked autocad, you will like draftsight. The commands are nearly identical, and there is only a slight learning curve picking it up vs autocad.

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

Good call. I had actually found this program and tried it on Mac, which as we all know is and has always been a failure when it comes to CAD software. I'll download it and try it out on PC.

At work, we use Carlson Civil which basically runs off the AutoCAD engine and is almost identical. Not free, however.

Ok I downloaded draftsight and it is awesome! Real easy to use and I can work on existing autocad files.

johnu said:
Ok I downloaded draftsight and it is awesome! Real easy to use and I can work on existing autocad files.
Awesome, glad you like it. I get a free licensure to solidworks through the school, but I am so used to draftsight that I don't use it, plus most of what I draw gets cut on a waterjet or plasma table anyways, so 2d works plenty well for me

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Mine's real cheap. ::)

Attachments

• IMG_2021 (1).JPG
    IMG_2021 (1).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 515
Fusion360 can't be beat if you want 3d, simulation, and CAM. I know nothing of Draftsight, but I am into draft beer.

If you really only need 2D cad, any implementation of GNU Cad is a good pick. And it uses the same shortcuts as AutoCad. Which flavour you prefer (LibreCad, ...) is up to you, I found LibreCad to work best on my Mac.

Back
Top Bottom