KZ 440 Head Gasket, timing issues

YoungMoneyyy

Hey guys,

I dont know if this is the best page for advice/tips on a build, feel free to point me in the right direction if there is a better subreddit to ask on...

I'm newer in to motorcycles, I picked up a bike from a buddy ('82 KZ 440) and started the rebuild, I'm looking at making a cafe with a brat style seat, might transform it in to a tracker style later for off-road...

Anyway the reason for my post is I'm looking for some advice on my engine rebuild. I think it has a blown head gasket... so I tore in to the motor and slapped a new head gasket on then fired it up... timing sounds like shit, oops I forgot to set to TDC before I opened it up like and effing rookie... so there it sits collecting dust in my garage.. I dont have the know-how to fix the timing at this point... how would I set it to TDC after the timing is off? Is this possible or do I need to basically start over from scratch... I'm considering taking it to a shop at this point because I'm in over my head... if I end up taking it in would it be more cost effective to pull the motor first or just being the whole bike in?

Thanks in advance guys.

http://imgur.com/gallery/wuj4gJx

First get a repair manual.
2] do not turn the engine over, pull the rocker box
This will close the valves and avoid anymore damage if there is any.
3] line up the T mark on the ignition advancer to the timing mark.
4] now check to see where the timing mark on the cam sprocket is.

Back
Top Bottom